It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: New Baleno
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 pm 

Bring on a turbo 1.4..

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/suzu ... mjwdj.html

Post subject: Re: New Baleno
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:52 pm 

Drive journalists are a bunch of muppets. How on earth would the Baleno compete with a Mazda 3 or Corolla when it is half a metre shorter and 200mm narrower? It is smaller than an S-Cross.

Personally I think the Baleno is the answer to a question that nobody asked, and bringing it to Australia now will end the same way it did when they tried to sell it alongside the Swift in the 90's.

#balenobodywants :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:27 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Drive journalists are a bunch of muppets.

You're dead right I'm afraid - I also like the quote at the end of the article about how there should be a new Ignis by the end of the year to rival the Mazda 2.. Um - isn't that what the Swift already does?!?

And on that note, if they really are bringing the Baleno, why would they bring in an Ignis too? Do Suzuki want absolutely every size of small car covered?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:24 pm 

Size-wise the Ignis sits between the Celerio and Swift, but by design is supposed to be more like the old Daihatsu Terios - a micro SUV style hatchback. A soft alternative to the 4WD Jimny.

rattlyswift wrote:
Do Suzuki want absolutely every size of small car covered?

It's insanity. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that someone in Suzuki has seen sales figures for the Swift and drawn the conclusion that there's a hunger for small Suzuki models, so they're going to cater to all tastes. History says that if it doesn't have a Swift badge then very few will buy it.

Both Suzuki and Daihatsu were guilty of too much model overlap in the 90's and we know how that worked out for Daihatsu. Honestly I was surprised that Suzuki recovered, and I'll be more surprised if the same approach works for them now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:57 pm 

I can see suzuki using the new 1.4 turbo in a lot of models, even (I hope) in the next swift sport.
I think this is the right way (for suzuki). They are never gonna build a big 2.0+ L performance engine. There so many out there.

The 1.4 L turbo will be a fun engine. I can see this already with oversize pistons and upped boost, in a GTi. Should be awesome.

The boosterjet engine has in stock form I think around 133hp. With oversize pistons (1.5L) and raised boost it should be around 220hp+ (depending on boost level). Can't wait!

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley,Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi.
2001-Altezza AS200.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 pm 

I have to admit that the BoosterJet engine does sound quite nice, and I certainly hope it makes an appearance locally. We might finally have a replacement for aging G13B motors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:24 pm 

Only thing with the "booster jet" engine is that the exhaust manifold is part of the head, so potential for modification wouldnt be as good as it could be.

M series motors aren't all that hard to use to replace the g13b's, they are just noisier and don't seem to like much boost thrown at them.
Decent potential N/A, but obviously no where near Honda potential.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:04 am 

Apparently the baleno equipped withe turbo engine will be called baleno RS.
Unfortunately, it's a 1 L 3 cyl engine producing 112bhp...

http://m.carandbike.com/news/auto-expo- ... ne-1273555

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley,Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi.
2001-Altezza AS200.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 am 

Pauly wrote:
Only thing with the "booster jet" engine is that the exhaust manifold is part of the head, so potential for modification wouldnt be as good as it could be.

I couldn't believe it. But you're right. Just had a look at a pic.

1989-GTi.
2001-Altezza AS200.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A