It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Suzuki doing a turbo 1.4!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 am 

Only mentioned for the Vitara in this article, but geez that needs to get into the Swift ASAP!! Just pleased that Suzuki are officially doing a turbo motor..

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/suzu ... lnpi6.html

"103kW and 220Nm in European spec"

Post subject: Re: Suzuki doing a turbo 1.4!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:32 pm 

It's about time but I don't know why they are using such a small engine, why are they not turbo'ing the m16?

I've just spent the last week driving a 1.4 turbo Audi A3, it's similar in many respects, around 100kw and 200nm of torque, the power delivery was dreadful, it "feels" like it has very little torque down low, you have to mash the pedal then it actually goes really well but it's hard drive quickly while still being smooth, my wife drove it as well and hated it, her 1.6l turbo Ford Kuga feels much nicer to drive, power delivery is much more linear, not sure if it's an engine mapping or a DSG trait with the Audi.

Nice to hear they are using a proper auto on the new Vitara instead of the awful CVT they used in the Scross.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:36 pm 

Dattman wrote:
It's about time but I don't know why they are using such a small engine, why are they not turbo'ing the m16?

Instant assumption would be taxes. Better to develop a 1.4L with lower taxes than a 1.6L with higher taxes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:48 pm 

Is there a Euro tax difference between 1.4 and 1.6? I would of thought the reason was the k14 is a new power plant with less frictional losses than the M16, better economy at the expense of performance.
I personally think the new Vitara is too big for such a small engine and thats the main reason why we bought a Kuga instead of an S cross last year, the Scross optioned out was similar money to the Kuga but the detuned NA M16 and CVT was dreadfully underpowered and sounded even worse, the Kuga with turbo and proper auto transmission actually goes quite well, you can actually tow a trailer full of dirt...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:42 pm 

Dattman wrote:
I personally think the new Vitara is too big for such a small engine

When I read the launch spec sheet and saw that the new Vitara had a miserly 85kw I thought Suzuki were mad. Then I looked further into the specs and saw that it only weighs 70kg more than a Swift, and amazingly 10kg less than the S-Cross it is based on.

The 1.4T provides 40% more power and 70% more torque than the N/A K14 in the current Swift. Even with a 70kg weight penalty for the Vitara that's not a bad increase in performance.

Ultimately though I think the Vitara will be hampered by the legacy of its badge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:38 pm 

The wife and I put an order in for a new vitara 1.6 petrol the other week. Only this week our dealer got the 1.4 "booster jet" in. Its no super car but compared to the 1.6, it is a rocket ship. We have since asked to change our order. Much more enjoyable to drive with almost non existent turbo lag and the already well tuned chassis and suspension. It might just be the suzuki fan boy side talking but suzuki have done a good job with this small SUV.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:39 am 

What was the price difference? Is there a big step up in kit between the S Turbo and RT-X?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:41 am 

We were going the 2wd auto in the 1.6 with metallic 2 tone paint for 25990. The 2wd turbo model, Auto only, starts at just under 30k and 1 k extra for the metallic 2 tone paint. Few nicer features like suede seats, reverse sensors, keyless start, tilt mirrors, auto headlights. All of which i could do without but that's just how it is. I think the RT-X (awd 1.6???) had a sunroof and all the nice trimmings minus the "turbo exlcusive" grill, wheels side mirrors.
I think the AWD turbo was an extra 2k on top of that. I never drove the AWD so cant say how it changed the power.
The base model 1.6 auto 24,990 drive away to 1.4T auto 29,990.
For the extra couple of dollars a week, we thought we would be happier driving the turbo model.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 pm 

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2016-suzuki-vitara-s-turbo-review-first-drive-40823

Here is a link to an Aussie review of the new Turbo AWD Vitara. I must say 8.4 0-100 (as tested) is WAY faster than I expected it would be... So how's taking orders for an AWD, Turbo Swift? :P

I will be keen to see what Suzuki do next with the setup :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:52 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Dattman wrote:
I personally think the new Vitara is too big for such a small engine

When I read the launch spec sheet and saw that the new Vitara had a miserly 85kw I thought Suzuki were mad. Then I looked further into the specs and saw that it only weighs 70kg more than a Swift, and amazingly 10kg less than the S-Cross it is based on.

The 1.4T provides 40% more power and 70% more torque than the N/A K14 in the current Swift. Even with a 70kg weight penalty for the Vitara that's not a bad increase in performance.

Ultimately though I think the Vitara will be hampered by the legacy of its badge.

I agree with this however not sure if they are using a VNT turbo which usually has little lag
compared to just a run of the mill snail can some1 confirm what it is?

In Japan not Oz maybe due to taxes and market it would make sense to use this setup
plus suzukis current hybrid drive tech used locally in some recent models.

An electric assist down low and regen would make this attractive styled package a winner

very impressed with interior and useful compact size

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:27 pm 

http://www.suzuki.com.au/suzuki-life/ne ... ia-q3-2016

New Baleno is due this year too, with the booster jet engine pegged in also

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:46 pm 

Significant point they failed to mention is that the Baleno will have the 1L BoosterJet engine.