It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Are you over 30? Time to trade it in...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:01 pm 

Hi All,

Found this article while bored at work today:

http://www.dmarge.com/2015/06/wrong-car ... paign=Cars

After spotting number 10 on the list it looks like I'd better hit the For Sale Index and start acting my (40+) age... :lol:

At least the reviewer was nice about it though. 8)

Cheers,

Drew

Post subject: Re: Are you over 30? Trade it in...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:22 pm 

Although you may grow older each year, nothing in rule book of life says you have to grow up. In fact, if you read carefully, the rule goes something like, "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional". I'm just building another GTi so won't be 'waving goodbye' just yet or hanging out the For Sale sign for a few years. :twisted:

Hopefully, no-one on Redline subscribes to Mike Huynh view on life and mature age kids. World would be pretty boring if everyone actually acted their age.

Post subject: Re: Are you over 30? Time to trade it in...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:05 am 

As another north of forty, he can bite me :lol: Sounds like he really wants to be driving one of these but is too under the thumb to do so. Best to make everyone conform to his ideal of "growing up".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 am 

While I'm only just over 30 this guy is dreaming! It's only now that I am able to actualy afford to put money into something I enjoy driving and I'm sure as anything I can't afford to drive what he would recommend!

The one thing I've learned from car people all over, is do never stop having cars you enjoy, whatever they may be or you will forever regret it... There would have been a time when this article would have had "Sell your GTS Monaro and GTHO Falcon's" we all know how well that advice would have turned out :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:15 am 

That article is so full of s**t.
Referring to the Gemini as "a 20-year-old platform with rear-wheel drive" and saying they were made up until 1986 when they were FWD only. It's a 40 y.o. platform.

I'm from the 60s, but love my "old" cars.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:22 am 

I'm in my mid 30s, I've still got 4 swifts in my driveway and recently dropped a full gti conversion into a cino shell "just because I could"
Beats driving a Camry or some other modern sensible car :lol:
I'll be the grey haired guy in his classic lumpy cammed gti one day
The young people will be like "ohh look, one of those old school gti swifts, my old man used to have one"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:51 pm 

Bewitched Gti wrote:
The young people will be like "ohh look, one of those old school gti swifts, my old man used to have one"

...you could be their permanently absent Dad :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:04 pm 

Haha, driving a GTi may lead to dates with the opposite sex
But in my experience it doesn't guarantee clandestine affection :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 pm 

Although that article is a complete joke, I have to admit that as a 30-something my thoughts about what I want to own and drive are changing - despite remembering quite clearly thinking in my mid-20's that I'd always want a loud, obnoxious, low car that handled like a go kart.
That probably has a lot to do with buying my first grown-up family car last year, and enjoying driving in silence with the cruise control on, as my arse is caressed by heated cow hide seats, and the climate control makes a mockery of the weather outside.

Hopping back into an old Suzuki after that is like stepping out of a pair of new Nike Airs into an old pair of Dunlop Volleys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:57 pm 

I can't believe what this guy has written. I bought my car 23 years ago. I'm now 60 and have no intention of replacing it. Took her for a 400km+ round trip the other day and it did not miss a beat. I look at her and other modern 3 door hatches and the GTi looses nothing to them. She actually looks much better!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:42 am 

Swift18 wrote:
I can't believe what this guy has written. I bought my car 23 years ago. I'm now 60 and have no intention of replacing it. Took her for a 400km+ round trip the other day and it did not miss a beat. I look at her and other modern 3 door hatches and the GTi loses nothing to them. She actually looks much better!

Good on you!
I share your enthusiasm and although I too have other more comfortable cars which some may consider more appropriate for someone my age :?: the enjoyment that I derive from getting into the "old school" Mark 1 makes me regret not having bought one when they were new.
I was already "north of 50" when I made the decision to upgrade from my '87 GA to the real thing. As soon as I laid eyes on the car which Alexei now proudly owns, I just had to have it. I was a bit apprehensive about what it was going to cost to insure - and despite my age, there weren't many of the well known insurance companies at the time who were prepared to take me on (at a reasonable premium). Luckily I called Shannon's and they couldn't have been more helpful and the premium was quite a bit cheaper than I was paying for the other (modern) family car.
Sell it? Not now that it has had it's rust issues taken car of. I have just spent in excess of its value to overcome its overheating problems, plus the rego cost alone approaches the pittance that I would get if I were to sell it - and there's no way that it's going to end up as a donor for a Sierra or Mini conversion :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:43 pm 

I'm not quite thirty but gave it a read anyway...

Having only been in a Gti for 5-6 years I still consider myself fairly new to them.

Having come from v8 Commies I was skeptical a pity what I used to laugh at most days and can say I was blow away after driving one like I stole it hahaha not to mention some awesome features that surprised me (mainly the auto window up and down on drivers side of my 99 model) and the handling was another big shock , I could actually corner ow without having to smoke the rears hahaha and not to mention the looks of disgust I get from p platers in their uncles v6 commonwhores when I leave them for dead hahaha

CONVO RACING

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:27 pm 

charcoal wrote:
Swift18 wrote:
I can't believe what this guy has written. I bought my car 23 years ago. I'm now 60 and have no intention of replacing it. Took her for a 400km+ round trip the other day and it did not miss a beat. I look at her and other modern 3 door hatches and the GTi loses nothing to them. She actually looks much better!

Good on you!
I share your enthusiasm and although I too have other more comfortable cars which some may consider more appropriate for someone my age :?: the enjoyment that I derive from getting into the "old school" Mark 1 makes me regret not having bought one when they were new.
I was already "north of 50" when I made the decision to upgrade from my '87 GA to the real thing. As soon as I laid eyes on the car which Alexei now proudly owns, I just had to have it...

And shes now well looked after and loved Rod!

Im turning 30 this year..and my car turns 30 next year. I feel like we're in our prime...haha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:41 pm 

Wow some of you guys are biting hard :lol: sadly my 30's are behind me now but yes getting older your needs and wants change and for a lot of people it means they wont want to drive their suzuki daily, it's more likely to be just a toy, that doesn't mean you have to sell it...

Personally I wouldn't want to drive around in a Gti with my young kids in it everyday, too many idiots on the road in rediculous SUV's, plus I enjoy driving my 4wd v8 wagon, it's comfortable, fast and safe, getting older doesn't mean you have to drive a boring souless Camry...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:30 am 

But but but I have only just started, does not apply haha.

Alexei, you and I are in the same boat. I said hello to 30 a few months ago and the car will be sometime next year too :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:09 pm 

Mid 30's, owned 2, always thinking about getting the 3rd...