It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:34 am 

sounds expensive Steve! lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:53 pm 

Lengthened the lower control arm mounting points...13mm. With the shorter shocks it gave us a change from .3 neg to 2 degrees neg. crap paint job but after testing we are happy with it so I'll remove them and tidy them up.
Handling us pretty good at this stage. Next phase...engine and box.

Attachments:
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG [ 681.93 KiB | Viewed 65 times ]
File comment: 2 degrees neg.
IMG_3841.JPG
IMG_3841.JPG [ 688.24 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:25 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_3070.PNG
IMG_3070.PNG [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 56 times ]
It does look pretty and quick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:26 am 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:02 pm 

Congrats on your car you both have done an amazing job

Part of the elite R.G.A.A.E Squad.
Sponsored By Snapper Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:17 am 

Thanks mate! Got a few more things happening. About to pull the engine out and tidy up the engine bay. Tweak the brakes. Fit the 3tech 222/365 cams that are currently on their way to my address in the states. Fit the cultus manifold with a bigger TB. Got to find out what chip it has in the ECU. I now have all the parts for the close ratio box too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:20 pm 

Mate lightened my spare flywheel today. Went from 5.67kg down to just under 4 kg. Off to the balancer tomorrow. It's not balanced with the crank thankfully as I understand they are neutrally balanced. Also picked up some integra rims. My CSA wheels are 8.5kg! The integra are supposed to be 5.5 kg. Couldn't justify volks unfortunately but after I space the rims due to 12mm extra offset I guess I'll save at least 2.5 odd kg per wheel. That's unsprung weight gone. Going to get them painted. Boy wants metallic green! What do you reckon? 8-[

Attachments:
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3878.JPG [ 129.8 KiB | Viewed 53 times ]
File comment: Back face just cleaned up not lightened
IMG_3876.JPG
IMG_3876.JPG [ 365.51 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]
File comment: Most taken from around face and outer rim by ring gear.
IMG_3875.JPG
IMG_3875.JPG [ 343.96 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 pm 

Great job on this car fellas, it's a credit to you both. Might have to find some integra wheels for mine haha. As for the green not to sure mate, what about white perhaps ? Or paint the whole wheel and then polish the face ?

Good luck with it all

Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:45 pm 

Cheers for that snapper. Thought about just going white but wife and son pushing for the metallic green....so I guess it's just a paint job to change it. I thought white with calipers orange. I'm sure we will always be able to see our car on the track though! Just look for the colour bomb.

I have another set of integra wheels coming....for the semi slicks. These wheels are getting Toyo RS1 slicks. Mainly because the toyos come in a 195/570/15 size. The next and more common size is 205/50/15....but they are bigger and I want the smallest tyre I can get in the 15 inch size.

I weighed the integra (type R) wheels....yup 5.5kg. They are prepped for paint....dropping them off tomorrow because I'm getting them done for $100. I scotch brighted them, filed, sanded, cleaned and masked them off. The prep sucked. But they are getting primed, two coats of colour and two clears...by the pro's. I'll post pics when done next week.
=D>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:01 pm 

Was this Ben Payne's old car?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:56 pm 

No idea?

Post subject: Re: Our little swift racer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:03 pm 

Any other owners names in the log book?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 pm 

whoops didn't answer this...ill look tomorrow.

Today I took the front hubs apart to fit the extended ARP wheel studs. ill replace the seals but just clean the bearings...they seem to be in good condition and smooth....just a re grease and whack it back together. I now have EVO8 roll centre adjusters coming....the mustang ones are too big...so to trademe they go. Ill make a base and weld it in the control arm for the new ball joint.

pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:46 pm 

How did you get on with 3-tech and the underdrive pulley?

Are you planning to make a jig to locate the base before you weld it in? I'm working on something similar but I was planning to use a bolt-in ball joint from an Astina. I was thinking I'd make a box section jig templated from an existing control arm and ball joint. I have a set of M15 uprights that I've milled to fit my Koni struts. The current plan is to bore the upright to take the Astina ball joint and then gusset the control arm and bolt in the ball joint. The jig will ensure we bolt the ball joint in the same location as the original but I couldn't help wondering whether slightly longer would be better. I tried looking for some software to calculate what affect this might have but I couldn't find anything that wasn't serious money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 pm 

Mike is looking for some underdrive pulleys. I will let you know if he finds any....(had a run made up for customers and kept some for himself....just had to locate them). When he contacts me to give a progress update in my parts I'll find out if he found them.

The m15 upright will lower the control arm I guess (I'm no expert on any of this....only what I have researched) as it has a lower mounting point for the ball joint so a longer ball joint should not be needed? I guess when you said longer you may have meant pushing it out further so increasing camber? I understand the later spindle will give quicker steering and improve bump steer too. I should be making that change too I guess but then I would also need to change the bearings to fit the gti hub to the sport spindle.

So what I bought was some EVO8 ball joints to extend the arm downwards by 15mm. I am making some steel sleeves on the lathe and tigging them into the control arms in the same location. The ball joint will sit almost flat with the bottom of the control arm to make sure I get the joint as high as possible. We will enlarge the ball joint shaft hole in the spindle to suit. It's currently 15mm. No idea of the EVO but it might be 18mm. Unfortunately I'll still have bump steer and because the joints sit on top of the steering arm no way to adjust that out without changing the position of the spindle steering arm. I guess the suspension doesn't move far so hoping that will be ok.

I have re drilled the top towers to angle the camber plates 20 degrees inwards so I can increase castor....this will add 1.14 degrees if my maths is correct....(moves the strut back 10mm on the max camber setting. This reduces camber but I'll still have 3 degrees neg if I want it.

Today I fitted ARP wheel studs....had to drill accurately the holes to 12.5mm to accept the new studs. Tomorrow I turn up new centre rings to center the wheels on the hubs...(Suzuki to Honda integra wheels) and also to centralise the wheel spacers due to the 50 offset.

Clean workshop now and with the rain being nearly constant it's either make an ARK or work on the car. 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm 

One of these kits will fix the bump steer, tie rods are 12mm.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 867084.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 pm 

Going from 15mm to 18 is quite a jump but I guess there's enough meat in the upright for it not to be a problem. At a guess I'd suspect the clamping bolt for an evo would be larger as well. The Astina ball joint we're looking at is 16mm so I figured that would be safe enough.

The M15 uprights are as cheap as chips so it's a pretty cost effective solution using them. Probably the most expensive part is the M15 bearings and the time required to modify the control arms. In your case if you're making up sockets for evo ball joints then you could just as easily make sockets for M15. The uprights and tie rod ends would cost less than $100. You'd still need to buy bearings and the ball joints but it would fix both roll center and bump steer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 pm 

oh i thought the bearings were quite pricey and different than standard M15 bearings? do you have a number for them? i probably should have looked at the m15 upright..i still don't know the size of the evo joint...pick them up in Houston day after tomorrow.

Thanks Derek...thats one way to fix the bump steer.

Meanwhile in Manland been doing this today. yes forgive the green wheels please...that was the boys idea... 8-[

Attachments:
File comment: redrilled the camber adjusters on a 20 degree angle to apply more caster on full camber.
IMG_4072.JPG
IMG_4072.JPG [ 230.2 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
File comment: yep...they are bright! at least everyone will know where the car is on track...lol
IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4078.JPG [ 320.42 KiB | Viewed 30 times ]
File comment: now all centered and ready to go
IMG_4085.JPG
IMG_4085.JPG [ 264.45 KiB | Viewed 35 times ]
File comment: integral wheels have 50 offset so spacers needed and new centres...ARP studs and nuts. M12x1.5
IMG_4077.JPG
IMG_4077.JPG [ 245.97 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
File comment: made a rod to centre the drill for new ARP studs
IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4079.JPG [ 229.16 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]
File comment: left one fatter to fit the integra wheels.
IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4083.JPG [ 216.8 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]
File comment: making new wheel spacer centres
IMG_4081.JPG
IMG_4081.JPG [ 260.9 KiB | Viewed 29 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:06 pm 

Man, those things are green! Waiting to see how they look on the car.

1994 LSi 'Green Machine'
'94 RHD (Totaled)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 pm 

Yes 94RHD the lad does archery and his bow was green and orange....until he changed to a new bow. I was going to get them done white....but offered him a choice [-X :P
We have another set for when we get slicks.....think I'll get those done in graphite maybe.
Either way....it's only a coat of paint so easy to change....it's more about how it goes. Had to paint them....they were yellow faded white and looked crap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next