It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: The unsuspecting Twin-Cam Barina daily hackabout project
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:47 pm 

Hey all. New around here, but i get a feeling there will probably be a few faces on here that will know me or me know them (or my donor car)

Car is the ol povvo special 92 MH Barina 5 door. Been in my family for the best part of 16+ years (was my dad's daily drive for a LONG time). In fairly good nick, its copped some cheap mods over time, namely stereo gear from one of my old cars, a GTi steering wheel and tacho-equipped dash cluster

Started a new job and needed a car....Dad didnt need it anymore so got passed onto me. Ive done the best i can over the last 6 months to keep the blue smoke from the ol carby engine at bay, but its getting the better of me. Enter the donor car (and half the reason im here).

A good mate has had his G13B MF Barina going for a few years now, and has gotten to the point of moving it on. Basically my plan is to transplant all of the good bits from his shell into mine to "future proof" my little work runabout car.

Yes i could probably have bought a GTi, but i like to be different (and at times difficult apparently :lol: ), but the aim is to have a good bang for buck car, that is a hoot to drive with some right foot, but can still be as practical as a daily as well (occasionally needing back doors seems to be a pattern of late)

I'll have to upload a few photos of where mine currently sits, and progress as we go along :)

*edit* a couple of pics attached of my white car....and i should be getting the donor car tonight. Glad ive got a day off tomorrow....time to see what fits and what doesnt haha

Last edited by matty31 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Freddy the Fast-rina v2.0 - the daily hackabout
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:53 pm 

Nice! To think that you can get a 2016 interior for that car in Pakistan.

Post subject: Re: The unsuspecting Twin-Cam Barina daily hackabout project
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:27 pm 

So ive been a bit delayed in posting some updates. Putting off doing the conversion until i get some holidays over Christmas / New Year's break, as it is my car will only be driven for another 2 and a bit weeks in that time anyways (it gets left in the work car park when i'm on-call for a fortnight). As long as i just keep the oil topped up (and not blowing smoke in front of the 5-0) i should be fine

Some picture updates. Ive put the Mk2 wheel in my car, but ive had to take out the white cancelling ring as it seems the Mk2 / Mk3 columns are slightly different. I just have to manually cancel the indicators, no biggie. Im probably just going to throw my old Mk3 GTi wheel back on until i get a boss kit and maybe a Nardi for it. Ive already had the GTi cluster in for a while (since dad had the car actually, he wanted a tacho, and i paid 60 bucks at a wreckers for the instrument cluster), plus a new gearknob from SickSpeed (thats actually not going to fall off, and isnt alloy and going to burn my hand in summer time :lol: )

Donor car has full Mk3 GTi interior, originally had the Mk2 wheel that ive now put over on mine, but has retained the earlier dash (as the guy liked the earlier layout). Also has the EFI fuel tank, bigger front discs and rear disc conversion, as well as the obligatory twin cam + matching gearbox (and some horrible heavy duty clutch)

My interior. Excuse the mess :lol:

Donor car already up on stands. Needed to see if my 13s cleared the brakes (which they do)

Donor car interior (with my old Mk3 wheel on the column so i dont lose where it is)

Donor car engine bay (looks like i'll have some cleaning and painting to do before it goes in mine)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 pm 

So, ive been busy. Got the conversion completed over my 2 weeks on holidays. First slog was the easy bit, then it was just some of the fiddly bits after that to get it running and driving 100%
Im at a point where its 95% done and good in my eyes, I still have a few things to nut out driveability wise, but i can drive around those at the moment

The first day and a bit was the big slog. Get everything ripped out of the donor car and ready to rock over. In a lot of cases it was picking the better parts from the two cars, and keeping others as spares (picking through radiators, engine mounts and the like). While i had everything stripped out, i took a chance to clean up some rusty spots in the engine bay (years of battery acid and poorly aimed brake fluid). Its good to know structurally my car was in good condition as well. Cleaned up the new engine, swapped over clutch and clutch cable, swung over the 4 wheel disc brake setup, GTi front swaybar and away we go

I had a few little niggles along the way, mainly little electrical gremlins (i had no front or side indicators, horn, or reverse lights, plus a charging issue of sorts). I was that clouded after working on it for a solid week that i had an auto elec friend of mine eye over the car, and he solved my issues in about half a day. Turned out it was a couple of connectors not quite properly seated under the dash (that sorted the indicators and reverse lights), blown fusible link (that solved my charging issue), and a naffed horn relay (that solved the horn issue)

My running issues now are it choking up a little bit between idle and 2500rpm (depending on how much you open the throttle up), it'll choke up badly enough it takes popping the clutch in and dropping it with some extra revs to get around it. A spare AFM improved driveability a bit, but until i suss exactly what it might be, i'll drive around it. Exhaust rattle gets fixed Tuesday (i went to have a slip joint cut into the rear section, and due to the angle of one of the bends when it was made, now it hits the rear lower control arm. Now that rear section needs to be re-made to clear) and thats the major bits done with

Aircon still has to all be reinstalled, needed to save all the bits from the donor car as it was all different and wiring in different spots (so have compressor, condenser, receiver/dryer, lines and belt all ready to reinstall when i decide that melting in the summer heat isnt fun anymore

Ive still gotta get a mount made up for the rear swaybar, go over all the bushes and replace with superpro all the way through (nabbed the front LCAs from the donor as it already had new superpro bushes in them), make a mount up for my new lightbar (so its not suspended off the bumper in multiple places on a heavy bracket like my old one was), and tidy up some more stereo wiring, and then it'll be pretty well how i want it

Im still tempted to run the 15s the donor car came with.......it'll probably mean some guard work for them to clear, but you only live once. Im kinda stoked that my 13s cleared the bigger brakes all round :)

Time for some photo spam from the swap

(yes, the mess of stereo wiring :oops: )
the donor shell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:29 pm 

Good effort.
Why would the 15's need guard work to fit if they came from another Swift/Barina? Are they the wrong offset?
Also, donor car belonged to a PF'er LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:17 pm 

StinkyWizzleteats wrote:
Good effort.
Why would the 15's need guard work to fit if they came from another Swift/Barina? Are they the wrong offset?
Also, donor car belonged to a PF'er LOL.

Wheels are actually from a CH Lancer (OZ Racing wheels). They were on the donor car, but he was at stock height. Ive dummy fitted them and its snag central in the rear haha

And yeah....ive known Gavin for a LONG time haha. He wanted me to enjoy this setup as much as he did :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:28 pm 

M1 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:09 pm 

tjmgti wrote:
M1 300

This is the only reason I mentioned PF :wink: No idea who Gav is :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:45 am 

StinkyWizzleteats wrote:
tjmgti wrote:
M1 300

This is the only reason I mentioned PF :wink: No idea who Gav is :lol:

All makes sense now. I know the car was a sticker magnet, so i never asked about half of them haha

Progress report. I still have the really effing irritating flat spot that im trying to figure out whats the deal. First tank of fuel it fell way short of what the red car had gotten fuel range wise, and also equivalent short of what the old asthmatic carby engine used to get (even with the ringer being thrashed off it). I must admit i love the sound of the G13B above 4000RPM.....it makes you want to do naughty things (like 120 in 3rd gear :lol: )

My flat spot. Its generally between idle RPM and about 2500RPM. It can vary on throttle opening, but for the way im used to driving, its REALLY shitting me off that basically it bogs down, dumps a heap of fuel through, and you end up having to pop the clutch in, give it some revs and drop it if it bogs down on take off. Im also not the sort to massively ride my clutch on take off.

Ive swapped airflow meters out (as it was noticeably worse with the original AFM), but its still there. Not as bad, but still there. Taking off from a stop, if you're not concentrating, generally results in a cloud of fuel smoke, chugging away, and the need to rev and drop the clutch like a p plater who's just passed their driving test :lol:

I can drive around the issue, but the problem is when i forget it could be dangerous :/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:22 am 

Try cleaning the MAF and resetting the TPS. If you wired in the CEL then bridge the diagnostic port and check the code. Could also be a water temp sensor issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 am 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Try cleaning the MAF and resetting the TPS. If you wired in the CEL then bridge the diagnostic port and check the code. Could also be a water temp sensor issue.

Thanks for the pointers of where to look, i'll crack into it over the weekend and see how i go bit by bit. I had wondered if a TPS reset would cure it (after the MAF clean)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm 

so a well overdue update

found my issue the long way around. timing was retarted to +4deg btdc. advanced to stock and drove, then advanced 2deg more and always run 98 anyways
now ive had a timing cover rattle ive been chasing for a month. seems my thrust washers are rooted from the previous HD clutch that was installed before i got the engine package.
not bothering with the thrust washer replacement ($4k parts labour to take it all apart and out and replace whatever). so trying to source another long motor

its disappointing as i was finally coming to love the nugget. but trying to keep it cheap and cheerful for the daily drive budget. if i cant fix it cheap enough it'll unfortunately get parted out (which will be a shame as the body is still straight and good)

....anyone got a Mk3 long motor? =P~ =P~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:54 pm 

matty31 wrote:
now ive had a timing cover rattle ive been chasing for a month. seems my thrust washers are rooted from the previous HD clutch that was installed before i got the engine package.
not bothering with the thrust washer replacement ($4k parts labour to take it all apart and out and replace whatever).

Sorry, what? Thrust washers? 4k to replace a clutch? I'm lost mate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:02 pm 

$30? thrust bearing and a day pulling the box out, changing the bearing and putting it back together. Can be easily done with a set of jack stands on the garage floor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 pm 

Nothing to do with the clutch itself (well it was down to a heavy duty clutch previously being installed)

Crank basically moves 2-3mm through the block when you're putting your foot on / off the clutch (ie applying pressure on the flywheel)
It got described to me as thrust WASHERS inside the block that stop the crank moving front to back (or east to west in this case). Apparently similar symptoms happen in Mitsubishi 4G93 and early 4G63 engines
The only fix is to tear down (and to get someone to do that im looking at those sort of $$ figures by the time i do parts and labour, im not equipped with time or tooling to do that myself)

Ive found a long motor im going to look at this week hopefully, throw it in and be done with it. Gives me a chance to throw in this gearbox i bought ages ago too

It came as a shock to me. I thought it was down to the lower timing cover being loose and just hitting the balancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:09 pm 

i just realised my original post wasnt exactly the best worded the other day. blame week 3 of 8 of night shift :/