It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: '86 Mk1 GTI AA33S rebuild in NZ
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:58 pm 

It's been a while and the to do list keeps growing. I managed to tow the car to my current residence so it is much easier to get the work done. 300kms later and it now resides in Wellington. As I do not have a garage here for storage, I am working in the same conditions that many fellow Aussies do, outside on the driveway :D

After sorting out the leaking front seal, finding a broken engine mount, finding multiple other small leaks, replacing the rocker cover gasket and putting it all back together again, it might be running in another few weeks.

Just waiting on the engine mount from Craig at SPR. (1600GTI)

Still need to do a coolant flush but it has new oil in engine and gearbox.

Noticed one of the cam seals had walked out from its mounting due to it being so hard. Will have to replace it when new cams arrive.

The car had an issue a long time ago with it missing and at the time we found water in the spark plugs. My Dad put some of that stop leak gunk in the water system and it has been fine ever since, suspected crack in the head. While replacing the rocker cover gasket, I noticed the frost plugs had lots of corrosion around them and one bolt had rusted out and snapped in the head :cry: so new frost plugs will need to be installed.

Keep seeing a really small oil seep (not as big as a leak, but more than a weep), possibly from the dizzy and there is continually oil running down the gearbox and dripping off the bottom of the bell-housing. Many years of road grime to clean off to track down properly.

My thanks to Tassie_Mk1 for the imminent arrival of some trim that has been missing for a while.

Attachments:
File comment: Gearbox sump grub screw. Some nice person used vice grips at some stage, plus metal shavings in the thread! Oh dear.
IMAG1960.jpg
IMAG1960.jpg [ 440.21 KiB | Viewed 44 times ]
File comment: Rust inspection and realigning the driver door.
IMAG1831.jpg
IMAG1831.jpg [ 559.21 KiB | Viewed 44 times ]
File comment: Broken drivers side engine mount.
IMAG1891.jpg
IMAG1891.jpg [ 835.63 KiB | Viewed 50 times ]
File comment: Stopped for a break at the halfway mark.
IMAG1887.jpg
IMAG1887.jpg [ 565.45 KiB | Viewed 44 times ]
File comment: The car dolly.
IMAG1881.jpg
IMAG1881.jpg [ 844.15 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]