It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: My Hot Hatch
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:15 pm 

Thought it was about time to post a thread on my Baleno. 1999 Suzuki baleno hatchback.
Bought sight unseen from a woman for $600, and she delivered it with not a drop of oil in the motor and it needed a new gearbox. I was on a suspended license at the time, so was in no rush to get it fixed. Went to a Suzuki mechanic in slacks creek for a quote on a new gear box, $1200 installed. EFF THAT. There was a large crack in clutch housing, which I have no idea how you would do that. The 2nd pic, that's the main diff, OUCH.
Looked around for a 2nd hand one and found a sedan in Caboolture for $300 on ebay. So, the next week I won the listing, hired a trailer and picked it up. BARGIN. Bought the car and swapped the gearbox all for less than the mechs.

Fast forward a few months, it drives fine, little rough but just needs a tune. Fill it up for $60 and gets abour 500-550kms per tank depending on how I drive. New filters, fluids, belts and sparkplugs. Has a aftermarket muffler, it's a ok sound. But sounds like a fart.

First mod I did, DVD player. Removed the speakers from the factory spot in the rear and picked up a 2nd parcel shelf for some 6x9s. Much better sound.

Last edited by badbaker on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Hot Hatch
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:16 pm 

Well, thought it was about time to update what I've done.

Had a lil accident after I lost control at roadworks in the early morning, did some damage to the steering and my pride.

Left it like that for a while, lost interest in fixing things for a while.

Then had a impulse buy I got some new JL C2-600 speakers, and dynamat for cheap. So while I was putting them in, thought may as well fix the wiring.

Crimps gone, all soldered and heatshrinked

actually a lot of room when you don't have seats and stuff.

They were a pain in the ass to put in, it says it's 6 inch, but the basket doesn't fit more 6 inch mounts, so had to get some custom made. But the wood makes them sound so much better.

Temp for now, until I get some resin and matting to fix it. Plans are to cover in fabric, so it looks stock and can't tell they are there.

And then, last week I got some energy up and tried my hand at fixing the dent. Came out pretty good I reckon, you can still tell it's dinted but only if you really look. I'm happy with it.

Pretty much all for now, new exhaust this week. Had a really bad misfire issue, turns out both coil packs were arcing and was running on 2 cylinders, which caused a lot of fuel to go through the cat converter and destroyed it. So, new exhaust just in time for marty and moog this weekend.

Then, as money comes in, new power steering rack and full rebuild of the motor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:16 pm 

So, the mods are starting to happen fast. First one was the strut brace, didn't think it would make that much of a difference. But after a run up Mt tambo, I couldn't belive the difference.

Then, some "bucket" seats from a baleno GTX. They are so comfy, and I feel a lot more secure going through corners. In need of some TLC, but for $100 the pair, I couldn't say no.

Next, some slotted rotors and Kevlar pads. Haven't put them on yet, getting some koni shocks in a week or two and going to do it all at once. Plus, with the whiteline adjustable camber bolts I'll need a wheel aligment.

Future plans, sourcing rear disk brake conversion. Next pay I found a guy selling a full exhaust and headers, so excited for them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:17 pm 

Hmm, thought I posted new updates but must not of or been deleted :/

Well, it's now lowered and with a full exhaust and camber.

Shocks were rooted and made high speeds fun. Koni adjustable all round with Lowered king springs. Can also see the slotted brakes too.

Check out the first post to see the difference. Corners are completely different and roundabouts are very fun.
Think 15 inch rims with low profiles will look mint and fill the arches nicely.

The exhaust was a ***** to put on, was in 2 pieces and all the big stuff was at the front, so no way of getting it over the front cross member without taking it off. Yay :/ NOT. But a hr later, and it was all snug and fitted. Nice note at idle and not too loud at speed to cause unwanted attention. Helps fuel econ too, with new shocks I've gained 50ks per tank. Genie extractors, port matched with lukey muffler. Old one weighed in at 20kgs, so nice weight loss too.

Sits very nicely now, very happy with it. Just needs new shoes and I think i'll be done. Then onto performance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:18 pm 

Well, been a long time coming but finally got it in.

New gearbox with a phantom LSD, GTi internals and a 4-4 ratio. Heavy duty shafts, and HD clutch with balanced/lightened flywheel.

Good bye old crap.... Hello new fun.

Loving it. Because of the higher ratio, it sounds like a dog box... sexy. Also need to watch my speed now since it's much quicker to gain speed and I tend to go over.

Also picked up some rear disk brakes hubs, plans are to get them rebuilt, maybe some slotted disks, braided lines and look for some better pads for the front. And at the same time, new ploy bushings all round.

Grabbed some new tires for the last track day, loving them. Makes the ride a lil firmer, but i can deal with it. Dunlop Z2 semi slicks, 185/60/14...

That's is for now. Plans have changed, and going quad throttles of a GSXR-1000. A mate has a set on his baleno, and they look gorgeous.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:20 pm 

Rear hubs are coming along great, old bushings are in, been painted too so it looks better. No one likes the rusted look. Callipers are being rebuilt, and picking some braided lines up in the next few days. Waiting until money is back up, and will source some performance pads. No point going through all this effort and skimping on crap pads.

Next up, adjustable strut tops. These things are awesome, and look sweet with the suzitech strut brace. The thing stays so flat in hard corners, I can't believe it. Currently sitting at -2 camber, with +3 caster. and -1.5 in the rear. Not using the engine brace since the bracket was made for a J series but I don't think i'll bother with it anyways.

Last weekend I attempted to fix my sump gasket, and since moving back in with the folks to save money, I can't use their driveway and had to use the space over the road... Was a lil annoying. Ended up not putting enough on and still have a leak. Will fix it when I get a spare day of not driving. Had to take the exhaust off, and the front to rear mount as some of you would know, the sump isn't easy to get to. Bottom end has seen better days.

Picked up some beautiful rims. They came off the ignis sport 15x5.5, enkei racing rims. They only weigh like 4kgs each, so the rolling weight is a huge difference to the alloys I have now. I have some kumho V70A semi slicks on order and will update pics as they come.

That's about it for now. Next big thing is the rear brakes, but not rushing that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:21 pm 

Well, not as big of a update as I wanted... had no time this weekend to do the swap. But, I have all the parts I need and thought i'd share with you guys

Sanded back, few coats of white and some clear... rims came up good.

Picked up from front calipers from a GTX, these are 246mm if I remember correctly, and more pad choices. Regreased the slider pins, and cleaned up the crappy yellow paint. With the HEL braided lines. Look pretty good, just need to sourse the front hubs as the mounting points are 8mm different between models.

Started collecting parts for a oil filter relocation, with cooler and gauges. Didn't realize just how expensive fittings are, and how many you need.. sorry wallet.

And now, the good bits.. Calipers rebuilt, disks machined and new lines are waiting. They came with EBC green stuff, which should be a huge improvement over drums. Poly bushings all round, all the good bits.

Hoping to have these on next weekend, and maybe if I can source them, front hubs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:21 pm 

Finally got time to do the rear disks, my god they make a difference. With the braided lines, and new fluids, it stops like a whole new car. Plus, they are so much lighter than the drum brakes, as well as the disk being more than half the rolling weight of the drum. So happy with the outcome. And they look bloody sexy.

The swap was pretty easy, just undo the 6 bolts holding the drums on. Disconnect the lines, put the disks on. Attach the new lines, bleed and adjust. Think the hardest part was the handbrake cable. Which I had to take half the interior out to do. And being the mount points for the cables didn't match up, finding places to ziptie it up out of the way. Biggest thing I've notice is though, now I have poly bushings all round, the whole car is a lot firmer and I feel small bumps a lot more. But, must sacrifice these things for racecar. Plus, the rear hubs have mounting points for a rear sway bar. So just waiting to hear back from a mate about that.

Now waiting for front control arms and will swap over the front brakes to the 246mm brakes, and my handling will be done for now. Then start working on power. I've lost my license for 30 days, so going to rip the head off and replace the valve stems, so I don't blow smoke like a diesel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:22 pm 

Sorry guys, this was copied from another forum, so some of the posts may have random bits in it. But you get the idea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:11 pm 

good work, car is coming along well
how did you loose control at roadworks...40 zone at most surely?

GTP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:40 am 

It was about 11pm, and there was a sharp S bend in the road. At the apex was gravel and coming through the corner I didn't see it. In the middle of braking, shifting down and Turing the corner I just lost control. Went one way, over corrected and went back the other way, mounting the kerb blew the tyre.