It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Jezza's red mk3 opinions and advice welcome (slow build)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:29 am 

Hi all,

I thought I'd share my build with you all here. I've learnt a lot about how to not do things and the consequences of shortcuts with my old mk3. I'd love feedback to get some ideas on where to take this. This first one will be lengthy

I picked up this red mk3 from user intx viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51533

Learning from my last swift the biggest appeals to me was how it was close to stock, had an uncut parcel shelf and an original suzuki key and aircon!

The only mods were
exhaust which looks to be about 2"
king spring lows
rota rims
jaycar remote central locking (YES!)

I went to suss it out and other than the cracked front bar the panels were relatively straight although the paint had seen better days intx was honest and told me about the only problem it had which was a leaking rear main seal.

Attachment:
File comment: clear coat - bonnet
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG [ 104.4 KiB | Viewed 5692 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: uncut parcel shelf!
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG [ 101.87 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: dash - at purchase
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG [ 92.6 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: engine bay
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG [ 153.59 KiB | Viewed 179 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Side view - at purchase
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG [ 107.39 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

first order of business was to get the RWC - the leak was a bit much to pass RWC and I was short on time to get it done so I got the RWC inspector to replace it for me.

After taking it back and having the rego papers transferred and filed I gave it a quick service using NGK standard plugs, swapping in a K&N drop in and Penrite HPR10 10W50 full synthetic and bled the brakes put fresh fluid in with dimpled and slotted rda rotors and brembo pads at the front and rda rotors and pads for rear

The throttle cable was a bit sticky and the clutch cable felt like it was on its way out so they were changed quickly. I swapped the grille for a letterbox sedan one and the rims didn't suit the look I was going for so I swapped them out for some Watanabe RS-8s Type B 15x6.5 +34 with 195/45/15 nankangs

Attachment:
File comment: watanabes
watanabeprespray.jpg
watanabeprespray.jpg [ 485.23 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

I had some control arms with poly bushes from Markymark and I had a superpro kit from a previous group buy so I saved myself pressing bushes with the control arms and swapped all the bushes/control arms with poly. Since my first GTi and wanting more power my priorities have changed to suspension and braking due to living in the nanny state (debatable if you're from NSW i guess).

I wanted to have externally adjustable shocks so when I saw strider's tein coilovers for sale I organised them with adjustable pillow ball mounts for the top and new rear stock mounts. I swapped him some parts for a fibreglass OEM lip kit and flares which due to funds I've decided to put on hold for a bit. My coils ended up arriving 1 year later but no strut tops yet - there's been an issue with manufacturer?

The next thing I did was get the guards rolled; they had been very crudely rolled and I had looked around for someone who was reputable and lurked some other forums to suss out reviews - i ended up with this guy near the airport and he did a great job extremely honest in what he could and couldn't do (i overheard him decline a job and tell the guy to get smaller wheels) he used a variety of tools and was careful and took his time if anyone wants details let me know

Attachment:
File comment: guard rolling
guardroll.jpg
guardroll.jpg [ 195.57 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

I exchanged my ECU with gtaye for a chipped GrpA one... amazing mod - I did cut my hand switching them over but it was a 15-20 min job and was well worth it. My butt seat dyno showed a massive increase in power, the car just felt like there were no "flat" spots on acceleration that it could just keep pulling.

sk4wd had a GrpA intake manifold which I thought would be awesome so I picked that up off him as he had conveniently had to be in Melbourne on the weekend. I'm yet to install it due to wanting to run a bigger TB and managing the lack of auxiliaries on the manifold (no csv and minimal vacuum ports etc.) from sk4wd's advice and my own thinking it would be best to run an aftermarket ECU with it.

Attachment:
File comment: grpa intake
grpaintake.jpg
grpaintake.jpg [ 412.8 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

I love the badge on this thing and want to restore it!

This was when I saw a e6x for sale from OMG GTi and grabbed it for a decent price to install and tune later once I've done a bulk of whatever mods I finally decide on.

Next was a strut brace from Swift RS along with some redline stickers, that was installed with the sticker on the brace

I spent a lot of time deciding whether I could justify spending more on a good paint job than the car is worth and decided to take the plunge, i had a closed door respray from a backyarder who had done my family friend's car and had done a pretty decent job at a reasonable (not cheap) price. I picked factory St. Germain Red.

I got to inspect the car after the respray while they polished it and I was impressed

Attachment:
File comment: polish after spray
polish after spray.jpg
polish after spray.jpg [ 389.55 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

After getting the spray and still having to wait for other things to come in before I could work suspension again I focused on all the little cosmetic and comfort mods:

Attachment:
File comment: new plates
spray and wash.jpg
spray and wash.jpg [ 263.77 KiB | Viewed 178 times ]

Vicroads have a USA style plate which I thought was similar in size to a japanese number plate so I got them restyled as my number plates were damaged anyways and anything remotely JDM adds 4kw. Cops have pulled me over thinking they're fake and I've had servos not let me use the pump until I come in and explain why they look so weird which sucks a bit.

It was at this point I was going for a more stealthy JDMish look which would not phase any highway patrol that pulls me over and keeping the mods as legal (or at least in a grey area). I was never a big fan of the mk3 steering wheel the later ones were ok though it was proving hard to find so I did some research and found a wheel I liked and bought it from a japanese auction

the nardi gara with a centre pad

Attachment:
File comment: gara stock image
nardi gara.jpg
nardi gara.jpg [ 53 KiB | Viewed 5689 times ]

I bought a short shifter off crizby and a gear knob from monster sport (old suzuki sport model) to complete the look along with a h pattern sticker from ebay so I don't get a stupid canary

Attachment:
File comment: inside with gara and monster knob
garaandmonstersport.jpg
garaandmonstersport.jpg [ 312.17 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]

I bought a gearbox with a PG diff off GusGTI (to install when I have time) and ended up buying a rocker cover off him too.

The cover had crappy red wrinkle paint which was peeling off, I didn't take any before pics but here's how it turned out

Attachment:
File comment: rocker cover painted
rocker painted.jpg
rocker painted.jpg [ 377.99 KiB | Viewed 179 times ]

I used paint stripper to pull it all off and spent a few hours every day for about a week or 2 sanding it down and prepping. I used some self etching primer, arctic blue(?) matched paint and a 2k clear coat from a can on it. I was unsure about using non high temp paint but I was told it would withstand up to 200C and if it goes above that my paint is probably the least of my worries. The biggest bi**h was masking those letters but it was worth it.

Until I realised that the rocker cover was different...

I think it was a mk1 rocker cover and although not ideal I was in a position where I had to swap over the two lines in order to fit it (terrible way to describe it but hopefully this pic helps:

Attachment:
File comment: dodgy pcv
dodgy pcv.jpg
dodgy pcv.jpg [ 345.68 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

I'll be looking for another rocker cover but its not an absolute priority. One of my mates has gotten into detailing and made me a bit pedantic about little things like door jams and engine bays. Here's the rocker cover installed

Attachment:
File comment: engine bay degreased
engine bay.jpg
engine bay.jpg [ 477.88 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

I did a headlight relay mod and bought some osram nightbreakers which were much better than my old gti's chinese HIDs - thread here http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=31907

One of my mates did a group buy of refurbished Viper 2 way alarms with remote start and all kinds of crazy features which I got for cheap but I'm putting off installing until I can get my windows aligned properly (typical gti window problems) and I bought cultus headers off sk4wd which are currently in the shed.

I'm heading to Japan late November so my spending has curbed a bit and most of my time is spent working to save money so most car things are on hold for now. I'm hoping to find some goodies in japan as I'll be trawling used parts stores all around with my mate.

I'm a bit torn on whether to restore all the decals on the boot and maybe the doors or leave it debaged

Attachment:
File comment: decals
restorationdecalssgti.JPG
restorationdecalssgti.JPG [ 81.98 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]

I want to get some recaro sr3s or bride gias ii for the front but I'd want to get the rear retrimmed to match has anyone had experience with this? I'm not sure what colour I should go either if I'm to go down this way. I remember gtikid had a bride interior which looked sick. I've heard conflicting info regarding ADR and aftermarket seats. From what I can tell any seats that weren't a factory option need to be engineered.

To do/install list:
replace window regs
remove tint and replace
e6x
grpa intake manifold
cultus headers
viper alarm
coilovers - waiting on some strut tops

To buy list
cultus midwing
rocker cover inlay/spark plug cover
suzuki alloys/cappuccino alloys (hopefully I come across a set in japan)
sway bars/rear strut bar
cams
seats?
weather shields visors whatever you call them

TLDR; look at pics, should i put stickers back on or not? should i get recaros or similar seats what colour?

Post subject: Re: Jezza's red mk3 opinions and advice welcome (slow build)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:31 pm 

well done car looks good. keep it clean!

GTP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:58 pm 

Hmm, well there's styling, comfort, engine performance choices
If keeping it subtle and classy, put red pin stripes on the slats of the letter box grille, makes it appear more in keeping with the mk3 bodykit.
Find a cultus mk3 rearbar, has a narrower number plate slot and looks neater
Smooth over the key lock on tailgate, as you have the remote cable you don't need it and car will look cleaner.
Swap inner mirror plastic with black set, it highlights the black window line and the red outter mirror means it won't look like a base model cino.
You can make your centre tail light into a cultus style if you pull it apart and add the bulb fittings (pm me for details)
Cappacino rims and the stickers, look up Drelvisgti's cultus and you'll see how it would look
Just my suggestions for a subtle clean look, you've already done an awesome job of refurbishing the tired looking paintwork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 pm 

Love the plates btw, I wonder if JDM671 is available in Victoria?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 pm 

Bewitched Gti wrote:
Hmm, well there's styling, comfort, engine performance choices
If keeping it subtle and classy, put red pin stripes on the slats of the letter box grille, makes it appear more in keeping with the mk3 bodykit.

Not sure what this would look like?

Bewitched Gti wrote:
Find a cultus mk3 rearbar, has a narrower number plate slot and looks neater

that would be sick if i could find one...

Bewitched Gti wrote:
Smooth over the key lock on tailgate, as you have the remote cable you don't need it and car will look cleaner.

i like this but I'd like to set it up with my alarm too for remote boot release (comfort thing)

Bewitched Gti wrote:
Swap inner mirror plastic with black set, it highlights the black window line and the red outter mirror means it won't look like a base model cino.

I dig the black on red look this is nice but it would also highlight the seals being crappy and cracked! that's something i want to look into as well.

Bewitched Gti wrote:
You can make your centre tail light into a cultus style if you pull it apart and add the bulb fittings (pm me for details)

not a big fan of this look but thanks for the suggestion i see how it is appealing

Bewitched Gti wrote:
Cappacino rims and the stickers, look up Drelvisgti's cultus and you'll see how it would look
Just my suggestions for a subtle clean look, you've already done an awesome job of refurbishing the tired looking paintwork
[/quote]
cultus gti stickers? or OEM AUDM stickers? definitely actively looking for cappuccino rims when i hit japan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 pm 

Hi Jezza,

Nice build! I like your attention to detail.

I found my Cappuccino rims on Yahoo Japan and got them home via Nengun. I got the rims delivered to my door for $290 AUD including the purchase, freight within Japan plus export and all fees. Search terms were useless when searching- even though I was using proper Kanji figures in the end! What I did was find a seemingly reputable rim seller and then trolled through over 130 pages of his listings one-by-one, entry by entry until I struck gold. Patience pays off in the end. (The last time I looked I found another set- I'll let you know if I stumble on another.)

Cheers,

Drew

EDIT: You have PM. I have found a set for you.

EDIT again: Make that two sets! And some 14" Suzuki Sport rims as well...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:15 am 

I just love that steering wheel. It looks perfect for the gti.

Nice job also on the valve cover. Looks nice. 8)

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley,Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi.
2001-Altezza AS200.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:25 pm 

thanks drelvis

instantshine wrote:
I just love that steering wheel. It looks perfect for the gti.

Nice job also on the valve cover. Looks nice. 8)

yeah i was pretty happy with how it turned out. I'll just be on the look out for a mk3 one where the pcv is housed in the cover. Or a nice suzuki sport one should it turn up anywhere...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:38 pm 

just paid for a set of cappuccino rims and suzuki sports pedals :) they're coming by seamail so it's a nice present to myself.

thinking of replacing engine mounts. not sure if I should go poly or OEM for a daily. does anyone use poly for their daily? is it worth doing poly anyways in case I push some more power?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:14 pm 

jezza wrote:
just paid for a set of cappuccino rims and suzuki sports pedals :) they're coming by seamail so it's a nice present to myself.
=D>

jezza wrote:
thinking of replacing engine mounts. not sure if I should go poly or OEM for a daily. does anyone use poly for their daily? is it worth doing poly anyways in case I push some more power?
You will experience good improvements in handling and shift feel. The downside is the increase in vibration and noise. Everything will shake like s**t. Eventually it will settle down a little over time... but I mean only a little! I near crapped myself the first time I started up my old red 97 GTi after the 'upgrade' but sort of grew used to after a while. Not everyone's cup of tea admittedly, but you must ask yourself what sort of goals you are hoping to achieve with the car. A romantic quiet drive home in the moonlight playing soft tunes with the girlfriend will now be a thing of the past... the excessive vibration however might set the mood for *ahem* other things. :lol:

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:10 pm 

DrelvisGTi wrote:
the excessive vibration however might set the mood for *ahem* other things.

\:D/ like having the missus be my nav in a rally?! :D

Haha fair enough. I remember my mate changing some bushes to solid/poly on his s14 and it made it quite rough but kind of settled and im quite used to it now despite only jumping in that car about once a month. What duro were you using?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:31 pm 

I've got 75 Duro on firewall, and 60 Duro on the other two mounts
Does a neat job of reducing axle tramp, and vibrates pleasantly at idle
(My engines cammed with lots of overlap)
By comparison I drove Markymark's GTi and he had all 3 mounts in 75 Duro, was quite snappy when lifted off throttle or engine braking.. Not my cup of tea, felt like riding in the tray of a Ute over a cattle grid 8-[ .
What've you got Drelvis?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:53 pm 

Bewitched Gti wrote:
By comparison I drove Markymark's GTi and he had all 3 mounts in 75 Duro, was quite snappy when lifted off throttle or engine braking.. Not my cup of tea, felt like riding in the tray of a Ute over a cattle grid 8-[ .
What've you got Drelvis?
Rocking stock rubber these days. Trying not to imagine what it would be like with poly mounts plus the Cultus 4-1's. :shock: But I do have one of Markus' fitted Super-Pro rear mounts left over.

Just still awaiting the day that my new workshop comes to life I guess... :wink:

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:36 am 

Got some goodies.

psigti sold me these and i got to see SRSGTI in the flesh. Looks even better than the pics!

anyway here is a pic of the sill dummy fitted.
Attachment:
File comment: side sill
side sill.jpg
side sill.jpg [ 163.36 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

and these just came in today! Not much time to install yet but super excited about my pedal covers!

Attachment:
File comment: sspedalcover
suzukisportpedals.jpg
suzukisportpedals.jpg [ 156.02 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:16 pm 

Your car is looking nice !
Patience and time you will have it just the way you want it to be.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:51 pm 

Car is looking mint mate!!

will have to get it out on a cruise in the future

WORLD TIME ATTACK CHALLENGE 2016 -Clubsprint -
http://www.worldtimeattack.com/

SRS Motorsports

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 am 

CAMI MAN wrote:
Your car is looking nice !
Patience and time you will have it just the way you want it to be.

psigti01 wrote:
Car is looking mint mate!!

will have to get it out on a cruise in the future

Thanks guys,

Was trying to find a solution for a nicer shift boot when I was at my mates. He had a spare JDM Integra Type R genuine shift boot.

Attachment:
JDM_DC2_redshiftboot1.jpg
JDM_DC2_redshiftboot1.jpg [ 267.65 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]

These ones come with red stitching (AUDM didn't) and are quite firm (? if that's the word). I test fitted it but my shifter didn't fit through the ring but it was able to be adapted to our console quite easily with minimal modification. I opted for an ebay copy which was significantly cheaper and suited my taste better as a more softer material.

My tein coilovers after over 1 year have almost all come together. I've been given the wrong hats so I need to wait for new ones to suit the pillow ball tops I bought with them.

Next I'll be looking at sway bars. I'm going to the wreckers today to see if I can get a few bits and pieces especially keen to have a central lock/unlock button like the swift sedan had next to the window switches but I'll be mounting it next to the dimmer where those blanks are. Previous owner's LED for his alarm went there and it seems a bit odd.

I did my alarm with remote start which started out as a "I think I'll take the carpet out and full detail clean" and ended with the car out of action for a week due to troubleshooting http://redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53366. I made the most of the time by also installing my Suzuki Sport Pedal covers.

I fried my indicator stalk in the process by being impatient with the alarm install. Went to the wreckers and scored one with an INT function on the wiper off a late model 5 door Barina (I thought only GTis had these SCORE!). I'll be looking for an ECO/AC switch since I've seen a few later model Cino/Cino Extreme models with them. Hopefully it just plug and plays? Debating whether or not to go power steering too...

The combination switch with wipers and headlights were great. But the hazard button requires me to really lever it back up to stop. I'm considering relocating this which in my head doesn't seem like too big a job. It would go next to where I want my door lock/unlock button.

Also bought a new camera for my overseas trip. I'm still learning so had to touch up the brightness on these but here's how she looks at the moment. Pretty happy but there's always room for improvement.

EDIT: forgot to add the part about my s**t boot.
Attachment:
PVN834NOV1-2014.jpg
PVN834NOV1-2014.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 165 times ]
Attachment:
PVN834NOV3-2014.jpg
PVN834NOV3-2014.jpg [ 973.91 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:25 pm 

Quick update from my semi successful trip to the wreckers today. Was after a new dipstick (because mine is broken at the stopper (?) and slips down and therefore only gives an accurate reading if I hold it in place or it reads well full all the time) along with some other bits and pieces.

No dipstick so I might just glue it up, but I scored:

Genuine Suzuki Headlight covers!
Attachment:
headlight covers.jpg
headlight covers.jpg [ 693.48 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

SR20 throttle body which needs a good clean (no pics yet)

An empty din to fill the space where I deleted my clock.

A new hazard switch from a Lexus. The hazard switch from my combination switch is a bit dodgy so I'll be experimenting with relocating (advice very welcome and highly encouraged)

Rear plastics from a 3 cyl hatch (the only one there, 2 5 doors were around).
Attachment:
new rear plastic.jpg
new rear plastic.jpg [ 611.72 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

Will be replacing my rears at the moment which look a bit messy
Attachment:
6x9 in rear.jpg
6x9 in rear.jpg [ 647.5 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

Looking to retrim it too. Might just go for some plain black or grey. undecided at the moment. I also want to cut in a 6 inch speaker hole for decent sound, or I could go 4 inches here and in the parcel shelf to keep it looking stock. Not too sure about this one...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:23 am 

Jezza when you mount your headlight covers post a pic or 2 , I never seen them before.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:19 pm 

Wow, it's been a while.

Since last year I've really slowed down my build.

I've got a g13b head which hopefully over the next 12 months I'll be rebuilding to put on. The PG LSD gearbox would be good to put on too sometime. Thinking of going exedy HD clutch.

I decided to put the decals on, i've got the rest coming, as in OEM front badge and replacement side decals (TWINCAM 16 VALVE)

Looking at putting some tyre on my cappa wheels. 175/60/14 isnt that common a size anymore...

any recommendations for tyre sizes? or brands in 175/60/14? i'd like a decent tyre to do maybe 2 track days in their life?

Attachment:
File comment: rear decals
gti decals.jpg
gti decals.jpg [ 149.27 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

hopefully more pics to come soon.