It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: N/A M18a GTi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:48 pm 

Changed the drivers side seat mount again this arvo and bolted it to the floor with a couple of spacers and some plates underneath. Happy this way instead of the way I had it, harness routing is better.

Fitted the velo 6pt to test everything.. (Thanks moylee)

SOBIL: you mentioned you were interested in the way I was going to route the belts? I will get a pic of the passenger side..
Essentially it is just a 3mm spacer between seat and mount, it gives the harness enough room to go between mount and seat (thanks to GTP again for the idea!). I've mounted the eyelet as far back as possible on the tunnel so the adjusting part does not "clash" with the mount or seat..

Pulling the brake hard lines out tomorrow as i have to make up a new set.
I think I'm going to try and incorporate the fuel line I use and the brake lines in one clamp, similar to standard but better I suppose.

If anyone has ideas or know of anything neat to suit brake line/ fuel line clamps feel free to post em here!!

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 853.42 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 233 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:15 pm 

seat mounts looks great, the the brackets the right way the seat belts will route much better. Gusseting looks great too!

Hope the legs mending well

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:05 pm 

Thanks Sobil. Legs improving quite fast so I'm cheering!

Recently made some brake lines for the car.. I replaced the hardline from front to back with staino braid, the quality of the speed flow fittings never fails to impress.. :twisted:
I've drawn up a bit of a bracket to hold 4 X lines underneath the car(as I can't find any off the shelf items), 2 of which will be the fuel lines and other 2 will be the brake. They will be getting cut out on a water jet next week if all goes well..

Also I was bored on waiting for a few things so I thought I'd make some chromoly "toe" arms.. Machined up the threaded bungs that will go in the end of the tube and welded. Just waiting on chromoly rose joints and the taps to finish the fittings (hopefully be here Monday)..

Just like to thank Moylee again, he has been an endless help with fittings and parts. Always happy to help where he can.. I suggest if anyone needs anything Motorsport related contact him..

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 223 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 951.38 KiB | Viewed 219 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 233 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 723.44 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:10 pm 

Moyle much helpful. nice bungs!

GTP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:12 pm 

find some CHS slightly larger diameter than the piece your using and cut a short section, weld the brake line bracket to it and slide it over your rod! then when you adjust it the brake line will still be where it needs to be. neater then zip ties!

GTP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:12 pm 

So had the fuel tank finished today, I went up to the sheet metal shop and helped him finish it.. Stoked with how it's turned out! was a little worried it may not work when i had drawn it out on paper but turned out perfect! Just need to drill bulkhead fittings, grommet for electrics and mount everything.. Hopefully have it done over the weekend..

Also while I was up there this morning a friend dropped in some heim joints for me for the toe rods. I'll try and get them done this week aswell.

A few pics of the stuff :twisted:

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 790 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1021.06 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 880.83 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 223 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 231 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 996.6 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:58 pm 

Workmanship is excellent =D>

However it does look overly complicated and very heavy to me, did you consider making the main fuel tank a bit bigger with the surge tank built inside in and use an in tank EFI fuel pump? you could of still used an external lift pump to pump into the surge tank, the whole setup would of been much lighter and a lot less expensive, you probably have enough capacity to supply 700hp worth of fuel, something you're not telling us Southy???

Same for the toebars, great that you have fabricated your own but those are way over engineered, 14" long alloy radius rods from your local speedway shop are cheap and light and more than strong enough.

My comments are not mean to be criticism just an alternative point of view based on a different set of experiences, I ran a Bosch external pump for a long time and it was very relaible, the downside is it's noisey, draws a lot of current and was quite expensive, hence why I've gone back to an intank pump this time around.

Loving the quality of your work, keep it up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:40 am 

Thanks mate..

If I had to do things again, yes everything would be in a tank, but I'm just using what I have now to make it work.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't had years of experience racing or building cars so I have done a lot of stuff twice and ruined a few things here and there but that's part of the build. If I was to do it again, I would not do it the same way that's for sure!!!

As for 700hp worth of fuel, that's a bit on the high side of things, especially with e85. And I may not be telling people everything just yet.. :lol:

Toebars I will weigh them when I'm done and compare to the weights in the other thread (I think markymark weighed a set of Alluminium ones at some point) or feel free to weigh your set and post back here.. I totally agree they will be a tad over engineered, the tube is 22 X 1.6mm so it does not weigh a great deal, the heaviest pieces of the assembly are the rose joints by far.

I'm known to destroy most of the things I ride/drive so having them a bit stronger won't hurt :oops:

I don't take anything as criticism as I know most of the people have a lot more experience than I when it comes to racing and building, so I take everything on board, and will be considered next time when building something. :D

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:13 pm 

Just for shits and giggles I weighed my alloy toe bars, bare 14" radius rod is 190gms and the complete toebar with rod ends and jam nuts is 450gms excluding mounting bolts, no idea what the standard bar weighs, when these rod ends wear out I will probably try some alloy ones and see how they go.

I presume you're doing left and right threads on those bars?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:33 pm 

Dattman wrote:
Just for shits and giggles I weighed my alloy toe bars, bare 14" radius rod is 190gms and the complete toebar with rod ends and jam nuts is 450gms excluding mounting bolts, no idea what the standard bar weighs, when these rod ends wear out I will probably try some alloy ones and see how they go.

I presume you're doing left and right threads on those bars?

That's light as! Haven't done much on mine, yes I have LH & RH threads cut already.
Will be running the standard ones for a little while I get it running again..

Sooo plumbed everything in the box, welded it into the hole in the car, that was a pain as the last time I test fitted the "box" was before I built the cage. So I had to keep taking little cuts off one edge until I could get it to clear the diagonal brace.. Talk about a mission!!
Also made new fuel lines from front to back using 200series Teflon lined hose..

I picked up the line clamps I had drawn up and sent to the water cutters today and fitted this arvo, just have to run the brake lines through tomorrow, I'm happy with the result so far!

Also merry Christmas everyone!!

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 802.14 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 790.12 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 204 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:07 pm 

https://youtu.be/hhPrXiosMnU
I took it for a bit of a test drive up the street..

Will update later :twisted:

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:08 pm 

Grabs the pop corn and waits by the computer...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:45 am 

So I had got a bit done over the few days off between the family stuff.. Re run the brake lines, re installed all the wiring again, checked all the fittings and gave it a start.

At first it was fine, it was idling a little bit high but had good pressures and temps,idling issue was soon rectified with removing my little idle adjust bracket that was fouling the linkage that will be redesigned ASAP..
After a little while idling in the shed a noticed the engine temp getting a little high, checked radiator hoses and the bottom one was still cold (previous problem I thought I had fixed with a new thermostat), initially thought the worst (stuffed pump or blocked radiator) but I went with a series of elimination, removed what I had just replaced, so out came the thermostat and sealed it all back up.
If anyone has worked on an M series they will know the thermostat is in the worst spot know to man (at the back of the water pump), luckily for me the ITB's allow me to get to it with minimal swearing..
Gave it start the next morning and let it idle whilst monitoring the temps and all was good!! Finally!
Bled the brakes, triple checked everything and took it for a spin up the street! No windscreen, poor alignment and a TPS that needs adjusting.
Was a little bit of a pain to drive but was a good feeling!! :D

Plan is now to get it re tuned as soon as everyone is back to business, maybe give the inside a lick of paint, wheel alignment and some seat time!!

Here's another clip in the shed after the thermostat issue. Mind the mug head
https://youtu.be/c6EefgW-oI8

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:55 pm 

southy wrote:
If anyone has worked on an M series they will know the thermostat is in the worst spot know to man (at the back of the water pump)

Oh yes! I replaced the thermostat and radiator. Had to take the inlet manifold off to get to it. Then the guys who made the radiator didn't put a drain plug in so I took it back to them. They cut the hole out with a hole saw and left the circle of metal in the radiator lower tank. Needless to say it found itself to the thermostat and wedged it open. So out it came again.

I had overheating issues for quite a while. I finally solved it by removing the thermostat from where it is (radiator outlet) and put an inline thermostat in the top radiator hose (outlet of the cylinder head). I have never had an issue since.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:08 pm 

Man that sucks about the radiator!
I'll be leaving the thermostat out of mine for the time being and just monitor the temps.

Gave the Inside a coat of paint, cage is matte black and the floor is gloss, ready for a windscreen.

I don't really have any decent pics at the moment.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 990.06 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 966.34 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:01 pm 

Well I dropped my car off at local shop on the 18th of Jan to get my throttle balanced and the tune/cold start checked and adjusted, p/steer wired up and the dash configured to the haltech..

2 out the 3 things went smoothly, tune was spot on cold, start need minor tweaking, power steer is a cool bit of gear! (can go from no p/steer to turning the wheel with 1 finger at the turn of a knob, whilst stationary with the 205's!!)

But when it came to the dash we had a sh!t time to put it nicely..
This is partly my fault as I didn't research the product enough before purchase!

After spending the $1000+ for the dash I just assumed that it could be plugged in and be read directly through the CAN port. But I was wrong, I got a message from the person sorting out saying that the dash could "see the data" but it wasn't being displayed, he played around for a little longer then a warning came up saying I need a "CAN read 15 channel license" so flicked a few emails to race tech asking what I needed and another $250 later I had a license that allowed the dash to read straight from the computer.. :x
Next hurdle was the configure file that was supplied (from their site) all the values were wrong so we had some wild pressures and temps displayed on the dash.. Originally temps were measured in Kelvin and pressure in Kpa. Another few emails later and we had the correct file, that still need some work to get the values to read correctly.
It was a frustrating time dealing with them due to the time difference and me only being the middle man between people but we got it done in the end!!
Pretty happy with the results..

Also in the meantime I've fitted black bonnet and spacers, rear bar and a new windscreen..

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 207 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 922.41 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 933.48 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:50 pm 

Looks great mate! Getting close now! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:51 pm 

Yeah Tassie the list is getting smaller..

Knocked up a gaurd for the oil cooler. Should stop rocks or anything getting thrown into and allow air to still flow, there's a fair bit of material that can be removed from it to make it lighter and neater, but for now it can stay like that..

Also gave it, its first service since I have owned the motor 8-[ oil was dirty even though it's only been run on the dyno a hand full of times but that's probably from the motor sitting for quite a while..
Also checked the catch can and got nothing but condensation :D

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 456.18 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 479.17 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:07 pm 

So the list is getting shorter and shorter, I had to re visit my power steering column as I had spaced it down to a suitable spot using 10mm staino nuts, that didn't leave much thread for the original nut to hold on to.
So I machined up some "barrel nuts" and proper spacers (nut sits up inside the column and spacer to hold it tight), anyway, nothing easy so installed them and snapped one of the pressed on studs off that hold the front of the column up.
A lot of swear words and a few days later I went up the shed to fix the problem, unfortunately I had to remove the dash and the column again to fix it, I drilled out the old stud and fitted a bolt, didn't muck around welding a new stud in there..

Once that was complete I purchased some headlights, parkers and the red center garnish that sits between the rear lights as I must have chucked some of mine out whilst moving..
Fitted them to complete the front again :twisted:

Finally a decent drive!! Took it for a decent 20min drive (longest its been driven in near 5yrs!) to test everything! Nothing fell off and no leaks!! Hooray

BUT the car doesn't feel right, it is really floaty (only way I can describe it) now this is probably me having not driven it in so long and the fact I've chucked a heap of suspension bits at it and never actually driven the car! Stupid I know! If anyone has any suggestions on what may be causing this feel free to put your 2c in..

Front coilover are 360lb (shocks/inserts probably need replacing)
Rear springs are 3-600lb progressive rate
20mm rear sway
2 deg rear camber tops
2.5 degree front camber
1mm toe out all round
I think it's around 4deg caster

I'd just like to add the brakes are mental.. One thing I did notice was though it pitches left under hard brakes and the rear gets really loose..
Not sure if it's something to do with the setup, or I'm just not used to a set of overkill brakes. Lol

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 780.11 KiB | Viewed 177 times ]

Rasputin wrote:
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:42 pm 

Wheel alignment, if its been apart it needs to be re aligned!
GTP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next