It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Taylor's Mk3 build.
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:50 pm 

Small update.

It has been a few stressful last days sorting out a few issues. The engine was dying at 6000rpm and finally came to the discovery this morning that the spark plugs had come half a turn loose causing a poor earth for the plugs.
I also had to do some roadside repairs this afternoon as the engine popped another welch plug like It did when bedding the engine in on the dyno. Luckily the engine didn't get any hotter then running temp as i smelt the coolant on the extractors first. The welch plugs that had been used seem to have a real small sidewall compared to the replacements I have been using and also were made from stainless steel rather then brass.

On a good note I have orded my velo gp90s through Autosport direct (thanks Moylee19) and the carbon fibre door cards should not be far away at all.

Mallala 11.4.15 1:22.35

Last edited by taylor delony on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 am 

Might not be an issue Taylor, but for the most part Stainless steel and aluminium don't like each other too much hence might be the reason brass was used?

EDIT: Good to finally see this project progressing well. Congrats.

1:28.27 (27MAR11) Black MK3 IPRA GTi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 am 

GiT_Sum wrote:
Might not be an issue Taylor, but for the most part Stainless steel and aluminium don't like each other too much hence might be the reason brass was used?

EDIT: Good to finally see this project progressing well. Congrats.

Sorry Dean, I have worded that back to front. The fresh engine came with the stainless steel plugs (which popped) and I have been replacing them with brass plugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:05 pm 

Picked up the Velo gp90's today and am very happy with them. I started modifying the rails this afternoon but didn't get too far. Should hopefully have them fitted to the car by tomorrow afternoon :)
Attachment:
velo gp90.jpg
velo gp90.jpg [ 49.31 KiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:00 pm 

Update time!

Been meaning to update this build thread for a while now but just haven't had the time.

so to start from where I left... I knocked all the stainless welch plugs out and replaced them with brass ones and so far have held up a lot better then the stainless.
Everything ran sweet for a couple days then the ignition issue come back so a trip down to Morpowa on the trailer and we got it sorted. The ignition lead was giving off some electrical "noise" and interfering with one of the pick up sensors mounted in the custom distributer. Simon "widened" a interference filter in the Haltech which fixed the issue and had made the car better then ever. The car revved out a lot smoother and faster, and felt to have more power and drivability.

I also completed the seat install a couple days after my last post. The car is still street driven so I kept the slider so it is a little more practical if someone taller wants to drive the car. They took a little bit of modifying to be able to get the seats positioned right as I had troubles getting the seat away from the door and low enough... but I managed in the end.
Attachment:
20140614_171556.jpg
20140614_171556.jpg [ 140.68 KiB | Viewed 2229 times ]

The carbon fiber door cards from Strider have also arrived and been fitted. I personally think they look great. 8)
Attachment:
FB_IMG_14031498347675717.jpg
FB_IMG_14031498347675717.jpg [ 176.96 KiB | Viewed 2458 times ]

I was all booked in for a track day at Mallala on the 12th of July so went over the hole car to make sure It was ready for the harsh abuse on the track.
I installed a Mocal oil cooler to help maintain oil temps and last minute decided to put some better brake fluid and pads (QFM A1rms) in as I had heard from a lot of people that Mallala is a brake baker. Id like to thank Simon (Moylee19) for pointing me in the right direction on brake pads, they were unbelievable.

I booked the morning off work on the 12th and headed out to Mallala. Arriving at the gates and seeing everything was at least 2l turbo and rwd or awd I was expecting to be the slowest out there.
We were put into our groups and given our session times (6x 15min sessions). I was thrown into a group with an evo 5, gc8 wrx, wrx sti, series 5 rx7 and various turbo Nissans.
The first few sessions were very slippery and took a bit of playing around getting tyre pressures sorted. By session 3 I had them sorted and started to push the car harder (overtaking plenty of the cars in my group) I couldn't believe how quick the car was in comparison. I ended up being roughly the 3rd or so fastest car in the group and managed a 1:26.32 on street tyres and my first ever track day.
Putting the car on the track really showed where the car needs to be improved. Tyre grip was the biggest issue I couldn't get 1st,2nd or 3rd gear down or keep the car from sliding through all the corners.

I will be heading back out to Mallala again on the 20th of September hopefully with some semi slicks and better set up suspension.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:26 pm 

Specs up on page 1.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 pm 

Great to hear your first track visit was a success and everything held together.

I would suggest getting your handling sorted before you spend money on good tyres, overheating the shoulders is a great way to ruin nice new rubber, next visit borrow a laser temp gun and record the tyre temps immediately after your run, outside, middle and inside temps on all four wheels, record fronts first, it will tell you a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 pm 

Dattman wrote:
Great to hear your first track visit was a success and everything held together.

I would suggest getting your handling sorted before you spend money on good tyres, overheating the shoulders is a great way to ruin nice new rubber, next visit borrow a laser temp gun and record the tyre temps immediately after your run, outside, middle and inside temps on all four wheels, record fronts first, it will tell you a lot.

good advice.
Car looks good too. well done

GTP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 pm 

Cheers for the advice D. will definitely be looking at setting up a second set of konis I have here asap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 pm 

Good to hear you had the GTi out on the track

Surprising little machine the GTi

Once you have your suspension sorted a good set of semi slicks will be worth over 2 secs a lap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 am 

Still got some catching to do.

And, if the time ain't on Natsoft, it ain't been done :lol:

IPRA MK3 Gti ~ Mallala 19/11/11 1:23.5915
Sponsored by
Autosport ~ Velo Seats ~ Morpowa Dyno Centre ~ Diamond Concrete Finishers & Polishers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 pm 

Genuine Suzuki sill guards! =D>

Gotta be a tenth of a second gain there! :P

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:37 pm 

Hey T , any update ? Im considering of either sell and get a gt86 or complete rebuild from scratch like yours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:02 pm 

moylee19 wrote:

Thats not what I heard :lol: this thread demands an update 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 pm 

Dattman wrote:
moylee19 wrote:

Thats not what I heard :lol: this thread demands an update 8)

:oops: yes, I know. Still needs a proper time sheet but I will give Taylor the cudos for the Time he has done. I will certainly be chasing hard when I eventually get back out there.

IPRA MK3 Gti ~ Mallala 19/11/11 1:23.5915
Sponsored by
Autosport ~ Velo Seats ~ Morpowa Dyno Centre ~ Diamond Concrete Finishers & Polishers