Post subject: SOBIL's Autocross car
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:51 pm 

SOBIL's Autocross car Started January 2014

Model: Suzuki Swift MK1 GTI (SA413)
VIN#: AA33S103534

Known Previous Owners:

Steve Adams

History:

I picked this car up off Steve back in July. Steve ran the car in the Victorian Autocross series quite successfuly, but sent it in to have some work done in the off season and didn't see it for about 4 years.

When he finally got it back it was i pretty average condition and he had no need for it anymore, and offered it to me for the right price.

Im led to believe it has been fitted with some pretty good stuff including:

a haltex e8 which I have just got running again
cusco LSD
CAMS log booked prc roll cage
race seat
Koni red custom shocks(in my rally car at the moment.)

I'm hoping to get the car ready for round one of the vcas series in deni where I will be up against some serious competition from a civic eg6 and a 20V corolla.

first up i aim to road tune it in the coming weeks and then get it on a dyno. if anybody can get me a base tune it would save some time. After that i will fix up some niggles and maybe even get it up to rally spec.

Stay tuned while i get it tuned......

Attachments:
1389163771826.jpg
1389163771826.jpg [ 405.42 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

Post subject: Re: SOBIL's Autocross car
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:11 pm 

A few little things sorted out and we have it permitted.

I've tuned it by ear for around a quater throttle so its just driveable.

Figured out why the fan wasn't working. The fan is switched by the haltec. When I blew away the config I lost the aux output settings the installer did so a bit of trial and error got that sorted. Not sure if switching it by the ecu is cool or not though. ThoughtS???

I have another race seat to fit in it and then ill get some basic sfi belts. That should see me busy until thw afr guage comes in.

Attachments:
IMG_20140109_175722.jpg
IMG_20140109_175722.jpg [ 565.36 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:30 pm 

SOBIL wrote:
Not sure if switching it by the ecu is cool or not though. Thoughts???

It can be handy to have it switched by the ECU because it allows you to set the temperature.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:37 pm 

what do you think i should set it to? I have it set on at 90 off at 80

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:10 pm 

Car looks good, always had a soft spot for white mk1 gti, probably because most of ours were red.

I would turn the fan on at 91 or 92 and turn it off at 88 perhaps, 80 is too cold, probably never turn off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22 pm 

Very nice.
I want to get me a mk1.
Are you aware if any engine work has been carried out on it?
ie. cams, t/b, porting etc..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 pm 

Nothing but the computer i believe. It was planned as the first step before cams i think

the rough plan is to;

Put 952, adj pulleys, mk2 manifold and ecu on the recce car, run it in there and put it in the rally car.

Its motor will get a balance, comp lift and the above. This one I think I'll try a set of cams and that's about it.

ITB's seem to be a bit beyond my needs at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:35 pm 

You'll have an obsolute ball with this and it should be real competive right out of the box! I ran a MK1 GTi as an Autocross car for many years. I won many trophies, broke track records and had heaps of fun over the years. Having a good LSD will certainly help you control yours around the track. We could never find one for ours back in the day and ran a "locked" diff centre. Man that went well, but it was a handful if you didn't get the corners right :D

We tried 13's and 14's and then back to 13's to get the gearing right for our track, but we'd chew a new set of fronts out after one event with the smaller tires.
We used to have a ding dong battle with a crew who had a 4AGZE Corolla. That was a great combination and I had a drive of it once and it was so easy to drive fast. Our's was overall faster, but unless you got every corner right, you missed out on the big one. These events were coming down to less than a second difference after 3-4 runs. It was tight.

Makes me want to build another one.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:52 am 

Sounds about bang on for what id expect.

Ive been autox ing for about 3-4 years on and off now. Last year i ran a stripped carby ae92 Nova and then a ae82 with a 20v. I was stoked to take 3rd in class for the year behind some good talent in better cars. the ae82 was too maintainance intensiv for my budget so o let it go after only 3 events but if i kept it i think i might have been able to turn the heat up this year.

The other swift was on the pace before i rolled it but the competition has come on alot since then. I hope the lsd in this gives me that edge.

I have thought about locking the diff in my other swift but ive allready done so many driveshafts i figured it would just make it worse. Did you have any subsequent problems with the locker?

Simon

btw, have there been many mk1 rally cars over there? A bloke over here who has been helping me out abit was saying he jumped in one with a friend of his overin WA years ago. was wondering if it might have been yours?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:53 pm 

Quote:
I have thought about locking the diff in my other swift but ive allready done so many driveshafts i figured it would just make it worse. Did you have any subsequent problems with the locker?

Simon

btw, have there been many mk1 rally cars over there? A bloke over here who has been helping me out abit was saying he jumped in one with a friend of his overin WA years ago. was wondering if it might have been yours?

Hi, I'm Shane, not Simon. All my rally cars that I've had anything to do with have been MK2 and MK3 models. My Autocross car was a MK1. There have been a few MK1 Rally cars over here in WA, but not for at least 10-15 years that I can think of. Every now and then one pops up for sale on the grapevine, but I'm yet to see one come out and rally.
As far as driveshafts snapping, I used to snap MK1 shafts just about every second event. I upgraded the front hubs to MK2/3 and then went to bigger shafts from an Auto GTi. I still broke the odd outer CV joint, especially the cheaper Chinese ones. The genuine remanufactured Suzuki ones were the strongest. It let me down a few times when I was leading the event because of driveshafts. That gearbox lasted at least 6 years (maybe longer) with 2-3 of us competing at every event before it finally split in half Not the diff, the actual gearbox!!).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm 

After sorting out a stuff up with the injector current on the haltec things started going really well well.

I set a limiter at 5K and got the afr looking nice. After filling it with fresh fuel I raised the limiter and took it right out to 6500. The AFR stays very stable at around 12.5:1 higher in the range so imm pretty happy with that.

Attachment:
IMG_20140117_225149.jpg
IMG_20140117_225149.jpg [ 319.64 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]

So i'm, happy to say she goes good. 4 hours on the road and I'm comfortable driving it on the road and at the upcoming autocross. I still want to smooth out a few small niggles, and play a bit with air and coolant temp enrichment.

Attachment:
roughmapped.JPG
roughmapped.JPG [ 75.34 KiB | Viewed 1613 times ]

The car has a lot more punch than my rally car and the LSD is awesome! I Must get myself some more of them.

The tyre and suspension combo I have however is terrible.With 185/65R13 rally rubber all round, lowered rear and standard front shocks and springs it just rubs everywhere all the time.

On the gravel it is super twitchy but the front end stays on line admirably.The back not so much. Now it's dirty, I'm happy!
Attachment:
IMG_20140118_005121.jpg
IMG_20140118_005121.jpg [ 32.61 KiB | Viewed 1614 times ]

Last edited by SOBIL on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:42 am 

Oh, and if anybody here modifying their cars doesn't have a wideband o2 sensor fitted.... get one!