It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SOBIL's Rally Car
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:32 pm 

Very Disappointed this afternoon.

I spent two hours pulling out possibly the grubbiest gearbox ever out of the (AA41S) 3 cyl Jap built/Aus delivered swift in hope I'd find the ellusive 4.4 diff.
Attachment:
File comment: dirty BOX!
IMG_20140314_163424.jpg
IMG_20140314_163424.jpg [ 257.22 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]

But alas I find out it has a 74 tooth crown wheel.

The Jap built Aus Deliverd Barina also has the same 74 teeth.

A 78 tooth one was on the car allready, so i figure i will put the same box straight back in.

I went and looked at my box of gears and found i only have one crown wheel that is chipped. So I'm out of luck with the whole exercise.

Attachments:
File comment: spot the difference
IMG_20140314_172343.jpg
IMG_20140314_172343.jpg [ 147.69 KiB | Viewed 3473 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm 

Yup elusive, just re reading your earlier posts, the Barina is a G13a? so it's likely all Aus non gti models had the same box?, really interested when you pull the g10 swift box apart to see if it has a wide or narrow crownwheel, you're pretty sure thats the original g10 box?

I forgot to mention the other benefit of the gti box is the 4 pinion diff, much stronger.

That g10 box should make a good organ donor, a lightweight low HP motor running such a tall diff means it should have an easy time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:59 pm 

I do have my doubts if it is the original box honestly. Your and Atchi's certainty had me pretty convinced that I had it but I noticed after I cleaned cleaning the grime away that it has a hand scribed date on the cases. Most likely from a re-builder once apon a time. Knowing that it's been off the car is reason enough to suspect that could have been changed.

So the hunt continues..... As does the work.

In other news, I realised the Microsquirt only has two injector drives and it will only handle 1 low impedence injector per bank. This means the GTI injectors are out of the question. The cheapest thing I could get my hand on are a set of RB20DET injectors. They apparently flow around the 270cc mark which i think will be fine for my needs. fingers crossed.

Due to budget restraints i will run the Microsquirt as fuel only for now and keep the gti dizzy.

When I do the ignition with the ecu i don't know if i should go individual coils go waste spark or keep the dizzy. It seems that the crowd is split on the matter so i guess i should learn a bit more on it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:31 am 

Hi,

Do you want me to ask around for you?
I know a guy in ireland who has many collections of parts as well as few mk1 Gtis...even a mk1 ph2 Cultus Gti!

I didn't want to set hope to high for you but he sold me 3.528 and 3.789 FDs already. So it might possible!

Cheers
Atchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 am 

All good, dont't go looking. Thanks anyway.

I'm not in the position to be buying much at the moment. When money is better i might go looking again and shoot you a pm. If you stumble accross one though, do let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:59 pm 

So update time....
:( Dont think it will make the weekend at the moment.

Original G'Box is bolted up to the fresh motor.

MK2 manifold, sr20 tb is fited but i think i will have throttle cable and iac dramas.... fun fun.

I have the nissan red top injectors mounted nice and snug using new 2.5x7mm o rings. They were a touch longer than the suzuki ones so i put a couple of washers to be safe. The gti plugs dont fit rhough. So ill go find some nissan loom to butcher.

im Half way through fitting the falcon alternator. It is huge! I had to file down the adjust slide as ot was a not quitemsliding on the mounting bracket. I anticipate fabricating a few more brackets to get it all 100% though.

So much to do....... so little time.

Attachments:
File comment: Alternator compare
IMG_20140317_222931.jpg
IMG_20140317_222931.jpg [ 403.82 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 am 

Well I lost.... :( I was aim to get it driving for this weekend but now I have to pack it up.

Still managed to get some good stuff done and have learnt a heap too.

An EF alternator doesn't need a pulley swap if you are using mk1 alternator brackets on a motor with the wider Cam belt.
Attachment:
File comment: Pulley combination.
IMG_20140318_214801.jpg
IMG_20140318_214801.jpg [ 363.38 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

Unless your sadistic get a alternator belt one size up. I did and still have more than half the adjuster left to play with.

The sr20 throttle body tps is Pretty much universal,(thanks for the tips guys) but are like rocking horse poo at 6pm onwards weeknights unless you are prepared to pay 100$$$$....

Amp connectors are good quality , relatively easy to fit ,are stocked by Narva and well priced.

There are not enough hours in the day.

Megasquirt/Microsquirt ECU are easy to wire up are very compatible but come with instructions that can result in frying internal optocouplers if your not careful about stay HV sparks.

Injectors are not injectors. The GTi injectors are not the same as commodore injectors. Nissan red top feed injectors can be made to fit with a combination of creativity and butchery. Don't know if they will work though..

Mk2 manifold clears the standard master cylinder on the mk1.

The engine stabiliser mount for the mk1 bolt holes are on the head but require a bracket swapped over and a hole drilled in the cover. The mk2 manifold does not line up with the other side of the mount. Imm going to try and fab a bracket for it.

I cant weld upside down well and the wideband bund took 2 metres of spool To seal...

I've had eniugh for now.

Attachments:
File comment: Clock pit mess
IMG_20140321_010029.jpg
IMG_20140321_010029.jpg [ 394.56 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]
File comment: Ms connected
IMG_20140321_010204.jpg
IMG_20140321_010204.jpg [ 378.98 KiB | Viewed 114 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 pm 

1 week past my target to be on the road and im starting to get worried.

My rebuilt engine is not filling me with convidence. Every bolt I've touched is loose. The oil pump was pissing out oil but it wasn't tight.... I have just tightned it up, but it's too late to start it now.

I fouled the plugs, but have leaned it out now, so i'll pick up a new set after work and kick it in the guts tomorrow and pray.

I managed to test the cooling system yesterday and it..... got hot. The thermo fans didn't kick in. Fortunately it was only because i didn't wire it up.. #-o

I found a TPS plug and a IAT off an excel and have pretty much finished the engine wiring now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 am 

I have for a sell a Mk1 GTi genuine Gearbox if you want some parts i can sell you :)

btw Great project

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 am 

Poland to Aus shipping would proabably be a killer. And I'm reasonably well off for standard parts at the moment.

Attachment:
IMG_20140216_154055.jpg
IMG_20140216_154055.jpg [ 124.87 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Good quality mono tube suspension for rally and good gear sets is what I'm after. Do you have anything of interest?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:34 pm 

SOBIL wrote:
Good quality mono tube suspension for rally and good gear sets is what I'm after.
Never a truer word spoken...

I could get taller 1st and 2nd gears cut for a mk1 and there is a guy in Bulgaria who will make a mk1 final drive in any ratio you want, (4.9 would be my choice) for about 380 Euro's, both together would feel and work very similar to a full close ratio box which we know is as rare as rocking horse s**t, it's simply a question of finances.

Suspension however is another story, there are no off the shelf bilstein inserts to fit the front of either a mk1 or mk2, our shocks are simply too short, rears on a mk1 however should be much easier to find, I had a pair of EP81 Starlet rear Bilsteins a few years back which would of fit perfectly, they were coilover shocks but take off the extra hardware and they are pretty much the same length from pin to eye.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm 

The struts i have in there at the moment are a custom built set of wet legs from a set of koni reds. They feel great and take a hiding without complaint. It sits pretty low but i think it must be well over 250lb/in so takes a far bit to compress. You can probably figure by that that I don't have a lot of droop, but it does well holding the road with what it's got.

I'll probably get another set made up pretty similar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 pm 

The problem with twin tube shocks as far as rallying goes is shape of the damping curve, any increase in damping affects the whole range of shaft speeds, you need the low speed damping increased considerably but you don't want the high speed damping increased much, that high speed blowoff is what stops the car bouncing off the road everytime you hit a large bump or hole in the road.
With monotubes the number of shims, the shape, size and orientation of the shims in the stack affects the damping curve, being able to set both low and high speed damping and the point where the shaft speed transitions from one to the other is the reason why monotubes are used in rallying and all high forms of motorsport.

The only off the shelf konis I would use on gravel would be the EP82 fronts, they at least have low pressure gas, my front double adjustable koni's were originally built for a group N rally car so have seen plenty of gravel in their earlier life :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:15 pm 

Yay... Oil pump not leaking..... :(

Cam seal is. Just running down the cam belt backing plates. Was hard to spot with clean oil.

Attachment:
IMG_20140401_000654.jpg
IMG_20140401_000654.jpg [ 330.71 KiB | Viewed 112 times ]

I know this motor has been sitting for a while but ffs. The seals weren't even changed..... They weren't even sitting in the right spot.

Moral of the story. DIY.......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152383963591060&ref=notif&notif_t=like

not sure if this works

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:54 am 

Well in the last week I have got the car driving and done a bit of testing.

-Built a base tune
-Took it racing
-Found problems with the tach trigger to the ecu (fuel only setup).
-Welded up a dizzy advance removed the standard igniter and set up spark control on ecu
-fitted a toyota ignition module
-road tuned it again.
-stressed about an over heating coil
-replaced the std coil with a bosch 717, seems to be ok now, and much smoother
-welded a new plate onto the a pillar to hang the drivers door.
-welded the bash plate on
-Changed a drive shaft(was meant to change 2 but one came in with the wrong spline)
-Oil +filter change
-gear oil change
-Tidied some wiring

still more to go before the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:08 am 

SOBIL wrote:
Well in the last week I have got the car driving and done a bit of testing.

-Built a base tune
-Took it racing
-Found problems with the tach trigger to the ecu (fuel only setup).
-Welded up a dizzy advance removed the standard igniter and set up spark control on ecu
-fitted a toyota ignition module
-road tuned it again.
-stressed about an over heating coil
-replaced the std coil with a bosch 717, seems to be ok now, and much smoother
-welded a new plate onto the a pillar to hang the drivers door.
-welded the bash plate on
-Changed a drive shaft(was meant to change 2 but one came in with the wrong spline)
-Oil +filter change
-gear oil change
-Tidied some wiring

still more to go before the weekend.

So a slow week for you then :wink: nice work! Looking forward to seeing the end result :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:23 am 

We'll we survived the weekend and finished two separate rally's of over 120 km competative each The only carnage being an indicator, a cracked front bar, a mud flap and a lost side pod.

The alternator performed great at night and the lights held up well without cutting out like last time.

She ran cool for most of the night except for a 5km long run up a hill in 2nd gear flat out which I will forgive as It only hit three quarters then anyway.

I ran second hand Khumo 175/70r13s off the excell all weekend which really hurt acceleration. I wish I could afford the 60s but the only come new and my budget doesn't stretch that far.

I drove the wheels off it all weekend but through a bit of over driving [-X and some bad luck we only managed a 3rd class finish in the night event and a tail end finish the next day.

I'm pretty proud that I drove it there and drove it home with some more Km's under the belt. Bring on the Cooper Memorial in a few weeks. I'll try and tidy up the tune before then and see if I can get some more ponies under the bonnet

Thanks for the support guys, especially Capps for the parts at the last minute.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 280.68 KiB | Viewed 99 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:59 pm 

Got a couple of photos from the event I felt like sharing.

Attachments:
IMG_63783262348005.jpeg
IMG_63783262348005.jpeg [ 76.15 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]
IMG_63691295706782.jpeg
IMG_63691295706782.jpeg [ 63.57 KiB | Viewed 2913 times ]
IMG_63683256121861.jpeg
IMG_63683256121861.jpeg [ 58.95 KiB | Viewed 2910 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 am 

All good man

Did the braces fit?

SOBIL wrote:
We'll we survived the weekend and finished two separate rally's of over 120 km competative each The only carnage being an indicator, a cracked front bar, a mud flap and a lost side pod.

The alternator performed great at night and the lights held up well without cutting out like last time.

She ran cool for most of the night except for a 5km long run up a hill in 2nd gear flat out which I will forgive as It only hit three quarters then anyway.

I ran second hand Khumo 175/70r13s off the excell all weekend which really hurt acceleration. I wish I could afford the 60s but the only come new and my budget doesn't stretch that far.

I drove the wheels off it all weekend but through a bit of over driving [-X and some bad luck we only managed a 3rd class finish in the night event and a tail end finish the next day.

I'm pretty proud that I drove it there and drove it home with some more Km's under the belt. Bring on the Cooper Memorial in a few weeks. I'll try and tidy up the tune before then and see if I can get some more ponies under the bonnet

Thanks for the support guys, especially Capps for the parts at the last minute.
Attachment:
image.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next