It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: My first Mk3 GTI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:44 pm 

Hi there, i decided today to make an 'in the build thread' as i have some free time and thought i would update you all with what i have done to my first Mk3 GTI. Around February of 2013 i was looking around for my first car as i had just got my provisionals. During the search i stumbled across a rebuilt 1995 Suzuki Swift GTI with only around 30,000 on the rebuilt motor.

I went to look at it as soon as i could and when i saw it i thought it looked and sounded really nice so i had to have it. I had the car inspected and i wasn't recommended to buy it due to dicky connections throughout the motor and a leaky earth. But i really liked the car and bought it anyway. So on the 08/02/2013 i was officially the proud owner of a Suzuki :D

Attachment:
File comment: First Day.
DSC01105 Online.jpg
DSC01105 Online.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 178 times ]

So i got the car home turned it on a couple times just showing people my new car, exhaust, etc. Next day i went to start it to drive... Dead battery. So i replaced the battery that day and got it running again. As the car was modded when i bought it my biggest concern was getting pulled over as it was ridiculously loud with the dual magnaflow exhaust tip, so the first thing i did was take it down to triple A exhaust to have the tip changed. When i got there they put it up on the hoist and it was bad news... The Catalytic Converter was broken, and there was a few holes in the resonator so we decided to replace the entire old exhaust (2 1/2 inch Piping) from the extractors to the back with a 2 inch pipe including a new CC,Resonator and a new Muffler+Tip.
Attachment:
File comment: New exhaust tip
IMG_0278gotapaint.JPG
IMG_0278gotapaint.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 175 times ]

Sadly next i had to remove the deep dish rims :cry: . They really looked good but were defect able so they had to go. Took the Swifty to Bob Jane and asked what rims they had in a 16 for my car and these happened to be on special.
Attachment:
File comment: New Rims
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG [ 942.2 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: New rims on the car.
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 192 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:11 pm 

Next i had to replace the dash as whoever stuck the Birba racing sticker onto it stuck it on incorrectly so it was always 10kmph out, and also the fuel gauge was always showing full which was a burnt connection on the back. Got the new dash in and although i don't get to see the cool blue light up anymore i do get to see how much fuel i have which is always useful.

Now i had to get rid of this annoying check engine light that is always lit up. I placed a fuse into the diag switch and counted the flashes and according to the manual it was the water temp sensor so i replaced that and the light was still there. I read around a bit and figured it may be because of the Group A chip in the ECU.

The next problem i had was when i was driving the swift along and as i went to change gear the clutch became really stiff and did not feel good at all. Figured it was the clutch cable so had to replace that and once again she was back.

The car was running great for a couple months until winter rolled around... This car just could not start without cranking it for ages. It would take at least 5 minutes to start in the mornings which i couldn't keep doing. I took it to my mechanics to try and work out why it wasn't starting. We noticed the fuel pressure was down around 20-30 PSI so we replaced the old fuel pump and the fuel pressure was up to around 40.

This did not help the cold start issue and we just couldn't figure out what the problem was. We then discovered a slit in the flexipipe connecting the air filter to the TB and thought maybe it was letting in too much air so i got a new air flow meter, air filter, and the connection from the city dismantles and put it into my car. This helped it a bit but still did not fix the issue.

Next we replaced all the earths and redid all the electrical connectors we could find. This seemed to make a noticeable difference with the car only struggling for a minute or so. We decided to buy some Nulon "Start ya Bastard" and one spray of that into the intake manifold makes it start first time, every time. I guess its not really practical opening your bonnet every time you want to start your car but its a short fix until we can figure out the issue.

So we didn't have any problems with the Swift for another month or so until about a month and half a go when it was really wet, as i was leaving a car park i drove through a puddle (maybe 5cm deep) on the left side (air filter is on the right) and didn't even get to 10kmph before my car died in the middle of the road.

Because someone who had the car before me took out the box that goes inside the wheel guard that connects to the air filter casing, there was nothing to stop the water from getting sucked straight into the engine... So that's exactly what happened. Got the car home on a trailer. Went to see if it would start after i dried out the air filter (which was soaked, took 3 days in front of a heater to dry out) and it did, which was good news. But i could hear a horrible knocking noise coming from the head so i turned it off and did a compression test. Cylinder 4 was down to 80 compression where as 1,2 and 3 were all around 200. My mechanic diagnosed the problem as head damage and just told me to get a new motor then get rid of it.

After all this, no chance. As my dad has a fair knowledge about pulling apart cars he agreed to help me pull the head off and rebuild what is damaged. We're going to replace all the valves, gaskets, timing belt and whatever is damaged (were thinking its just the valves).
Attachment:
File comment: Getting Started
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 172 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Getting Started
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG [ 949.24 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Injectors,Fuel Rail,Air intake
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]

I look forward to keeping you all up to date on my car and the future modifications i plan to do.
At this stage we have got the intake manifold detached (just cant pull it off because of a bracket that has really tight screws), exhaust manifold off, fuel rail and injectors out. Next job is to get off the timing belt and then remove the head! Will post progress photos soon!

Post subject: Re: My first Mk3 GTI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:13 pm 

Ah the joys of Buying a previously modified car. Well done on persevering hopefully you don't get to the point of good money after bad argument and get it all sorted soon.
Thanks for sharing and good luck

GTP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:19 am 

kudos to you for giving it a go and keeping another GTi on the road! Look forward to updates

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:40 am 

Maybe you have to talk to OMG GTI to fix some issues, because this is his old car. Great effort though!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:20 am 

Hard starting was the only problem I had, If you prime it a few times it starts easier.

94 mk3 gti. Bd14s, extractors, group A chip, adjustable cam gears, 10.2mm leads. 69.6kw atw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 am 

Ok so just thought i would update you all with where i am at.

So last monday i got the head off and took it down to a place my dad used to have his engines rebuilt many years ago called, Advance engine re conditioners Salisbury. They striped and cleaned the head and couldnt find any damage or anything that would cause the car to lose compression (valve stem seals fine, valve seats fine etc). This led us to believe it was the bottom end of the motor after all this time thinking it was head damage. As the head looked like it was in pretty good condition we decided we would leave that and just fix the bottom end but due to a little miscommunication they ended up rebuilding the head :\.

I got home from the engine place and dropped the oil sump, to find lots of tiny pieces of shaved metal. At first i thought this must have been a compression/oil ring and as i knew it was cylinder 4 i decided to pull out piston 4. Once i pulled out the piston it took the whole of 10 seconds to diagnose the problem... The con rod from cylinder 4 has a S bend in it... Couldnt believe the car still run...

Luckily the piston was not warped and the bore unscathed except for the bottom where the conrod was bent. The horrible banging noise i could hear was the con rod hitting the underside of the cylinder housing and therefore there is a chip about 3 cm long starting from the bottom, coming up. Luckily the coolant doesnt come down that low and neither do the rings so luckily i do not need a new bottom end.

Got myself the new conrods on the weekend and had the piston pin honed yesterday. Todays job is to get the lifters back into the head, get the piston back into the block, and then start re assembling things!

Attachment:
File comment: My bent conrod next to the same thing but normal.
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: S bent conrod. Improves HP by 50 per rod
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 155 times ]

Last edited by ClutchKickGTI on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am 

Awesome to see you not just throwing it into the "too hard" pile!
Good luck with it buddy! Hope it turns out excellently!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 pm 

Thanks man appreciate it. Should have it finished by this weekend hopefully! But then ill need somewhere to drive it...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:06 pm 

We'll we'll, it has been a while and so much has happened since my last update. Got the car back together 2 weekends ago. Turned the key and had oil spraying EVERYWHERE, i knew those seals i had sitting in the cylinder head gasket kit belonged somewhere... Installed the seals into the end of the cam housing and fixed the oil issue! Ran it for 20-30 min and the lifters filled up as expected. The next thing was a tune... Went out and bought a new timing light because the bulb in my old one was bust and i wasn't able to replace myself.

I had a lot of trouble trying to get the timing right as the manual says 6 degress Before Top Dead Center but the distributor only allowed me to move it 4-5... The car was missing between 1500-2500 revs and was a disgusting drive. Scaled over the car for a week trying to determine the issue. Bought a stock ECU without chip to see if it would start first time and surely it did... Decided i needed a professional opinion as i could only see it being a distributor or electric problem.

I took the swift to Morpowa last thursday as i have read good things about them through fanggti and a few others online. I was nothing but impressed with these guys! tuned my car on the dyno and got the Apexi airflow controller ive had sitting there doing nothing, dialed in correctly. They were really confused as to why my car would not start when cold so they spent a couple of days searching over the engine for the reason. In the end they came to the same conclusion... ECU or Distributor.

Although the car does not start first time as i swapped my chipped ECU back in, i am very very happy with the way she is driving. Also blowing no smoke and no leaks which is a change. The bottom end is holding up even with a gouge out of it from the old conrod!

Things are starting to look up with this car, Now that im working full time i can also look at putting more into the swift.

Things that are on the list for next are:
Re-do all door seals and trims, New body kit (bought the car with the front lip in 3 pieces...), Engine wiring loom, Distributor, New battery with more cranking amps, coil, bigger alternator, Aftermarket programmable ECU, Light flywheel, LSD Gearbox and stronger crank down the line.

Will post photo's soon!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm 

Also got my redlinegti sticker a couple weeks ago but only put in on last week :D very impressed with how it turned out. I ordered one 800mm long (fits the back window of mk3 perfect) and i think 60 or 70 wide but ill have to check that. For some reason i ended up getting 3 so if anyone local is after 1, its yours.

By the way i fucked up real bad putting it on because i was impatient and in a rush... That's why ill be using one of the other ones i got so can only spare one!

Attachment:
File comment: Redlinegti sticker
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0293.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 161 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Crooked on right side...
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG [ 953.63 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Apexi corrections, should have showed whole rev range as it increases to +10 around 6000...
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 144 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Steering wheel + working dash
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 159 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: All back together!
IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 161 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:34 am 

awwww you follow my thread :')
Yeah Simon is amazing, I'm loyal to the guys at Garage7 for my skyline as Decs is an RB25 master but after simon did my car I'm considering taking my R32 to him. Did you see his time attack car if you hadn't seen it before?

I'm currently experiencing a misfiring problem with mine as well :/

excellent to see it all together, just gotta sort out those little things and you'll be very happy with it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:25 am 

Simon is a great mechanic, its hard to find someone as interested in fixing a problem with your own car like he is. Is it the white one with black mirrors framed up on the wall?

Yep just those small imperfections. Like i said on your thread i had a fuel pump issue a while back but my missing issue was fixed by morpowa, they re calibrated the TPS and re did the ignition timing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:09 pm 

Time for a quick update,

Since my last post i have replaced a leaky brake line so no more master cylinder leaks :D

Also found a new oil leak in the dizzy so a replacement distributor housing is on the way.

Made a breakthrough discovery with my GTI. Since I have owned it the car has never started first time and was running oddly. This is because the "Check engine light" was always on. The Diag switch was telling me it was the water temp sensor and after the ECU change i really didnt know what the problem could be. Traced the whole wire from water temp sensor too ecu and it was fine, checked plug and it was fine, replaced ecu and it still wasnt working! After a long weekend trying to get too the bottom of the problem i decided the car was just doomed to failure... As i was discussing with my parents about possibly selling the car, my dad decided to take a look whilst i was away for a weekend. He checked the voltage of the wire and whilst there was current, according too the manual it was the wrong amount which made no sense. After noticing the ISC valve and water temp sensor plug are the same colour he tested the voltage of the ISC valve wire and it was showing the amount the water temp sensor should...

He changed the plugs around and voila! After all the Time and money spent trying to make it work it was as simple as two plugs being plugged in incorrectly... No more check engine light and the car runs a million times better.

I wasn't aware but the GTi ECU has a "limp home" mode and when the check engine light comes on from what i understand the car cuts voltage and power to get the car home without any more damage.

Since fixing the major issue i only have a few more things too fix before i can start modifying the internals :twisted: :

-Front left CV joint is binding around right hand corners.
-Distributor housing (currently on its way)
-Thermostat gasket (have a spare outside waiting to replace dizzy first.)
-ISC Valve

Will update with photo's soon as i have also made a few cosmetic modifications!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:18 pm 

Excellent new mate! Was actually going to comment last night to ask how it is all going! Really glad to hear that and hopefully you'll hold on to it. I know that feeling of wanting to give up. I dumped over 2000 into mine in august this year only to have it break in October and dump another 2000 in over the last two weeks. Stick through it. It's all worth it. Especially if you ever put it on a track like i'm doing now and you realize how well they eat up big power cars

Keep it up though buddy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:01 pm 

FangGTi wrote:
Excellent new mate! Was actually going to comment last night to ask how it is all going! Really glad to hear that and hopefully you'll hold on to it. I know that feeling of wanting to give up. I dumped over 2000 into mine in august this year only to have it break in October and dump another 2000 in over the last two weeks. Stick through it. It's all worth it. Especially if you ever put it on a track like i'm doing now and you realize how well they eat up big power cars

Keep it up though buddy!

Yeah figured i will just keep this car forever as i wouldn't be able to let it go knowing how many $$ have been lost and that not many others would take good care of it :(

In other news replaced distributor housing and stopped the oil leak, the car feels much smoother from 800-3000 rpm without oil in the dizzy cap.

Also starting my light vehicle mechanic apprenticeship Monday. Not keen on the pay but very excited to continue learning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:35 pm 

Well it seems that an update is long overdue...

Not much has changed on the swift over the last year, I've just been trying to drive the car and enjoy it and i have been doing just that.
I replaced the standard clutch when it started slipping about 3 months ago with an Xtreme heavy duty clutch as i figured i may as well just chuck it in now to save time and effort down the track when the power figures match :twisted: .

Other than the clutch the car has been bulletproof, has not missed a beat since the rebuild! Over the past few months i have been collecting different parts from around the place to try and put together a half decent N/A build. The parts list currently consists of a mk1 Grpa reverse manifold, Tighe BD10 cams, Adjustable cam gears, SR20 TB, Bored AFM housing, SuzukiRD Stage 3 intake and i just recently got my hands on the "slutty" bewitched performance manifold (i believe its a stock manifold just bored to suit sr20 TB).

The original plan was to run the mk1 reverse manifold on this car but after picking up another swift i will be using it on that one as it is a mk1 and saves me from engineering an adapter plate to fit the sr20 TB to it.

A couple weeks ago i decided i would start putting the parts on the car as i thought i had everything i needed. I'm a firm believer of changing things one at a time so if something doesn't work it is much easier to isolate the problem. I decided to start with the cams as i was replacing the Timing belt, Tensioner, and water pump at the same time so i figured id get the most time consuming part out the way first. I managed to get it all done over a weekend as i wanted my car for work the following week, but i could not get the car to idle even with the TB air bleed screw all the way out, Ignition timing set to 20 degrees BTDC (aware not to drive the car like that just wanted to see if i could get it to idle) and the throttle stop screwed all the way out.
Attachment:
File comment: Old cams
Cams old.jpg
Cams old.jpg [ 143.17 KiB | Viewed 83 times ]

I decided the car would need to go to my Tuner as i didn't want to risk any engine damage. I towed the car to the dyno and he had it up and running a few days later. Only problem is the cams are quite aggressive so i have lost almost all drive ability :( The cam gears are currently set to no adjustment as they were making no power dialled either way. The car idles like a rotary which is awesome but so hard to drive with so much valve overlap. My tuner suggested that i need a programmable ECU as he cant do anything with the timing he was only able to adjust mixtures using the APEXI AFC which is still a little dodgy.
Attachment:
Tow pig.jpg
Tow pig.jpg [ 165.57 KiB | Viewed 104 times ]

The car is now sitting in my garage as its not enjoyable to drive at the moment, just waiting on a few more $$ for the ecu. Once the ECU goes in so will the Bored manifold, SR20 TB, Bored AFM, SuzukiRD intake and im thinking seeing as it is going for another tune anyway i may aswell upgrade the fuel system now to avoid paying for another tune down the track. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any opinions on how to improve my build as at this stage it is all just trial and error.

As far as the fuel system goes i guess i will look into an aftermarket rail, at this stage im thinking evo 7 Injectors and a walbro pump. The car is already fitted with an Adjustable FPR.

ECU-wise i am thinking the Haltech Sprint 500 as my tuner is familiar with them and i know a few other guys run them with no issue :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:09 am 

With it idling so badly did you double and triple check the cam belt timing? BD10 aren't that aggressive and should not make it less drivable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:38 am 

Sounds Werid, As above i'd be checking the Cam timing, I use to drive around with GrpA's daily without much issue and SR20tb so that got ride of any real air speed and should of been a "dog" But really it was fine. Had the idle rock solid 950rpm. Sounded awesome and i also had the cams dialed in.

It does have Grp A chip in it yes? Who is your tuner, Simon down at morpowa did my car with GrpA Chip and Apexi Neo. and he had no issues gaining some KW and driveability

Offical 2006 RedlineGTi Paper, Scissors, Rock Champion!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 pm 

Cam belt timing is perfect. It sounds like large valve overlap when driving so i am thinking the cam gears might be adjusted incorrectly. Seeing as i need to replace cam seals anyway i will probably swap the stock cam gears back on and see how i go.
The car has a grpa chip ecu and was tuned with the apexi. Simon has been away for a while and had a big waiting list when he arrived back. I went to Graham West in Marion as i know a few guys who go there and couldn't wait for Morpowa.