It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: ZC21S 2009 Swift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:59 pm 

I'm broy from Sydney. Decided to make a build thread, lots of knowledgable and talented people on here.

Favorite Thread on here:
Zc31S gearbox conversion viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49165
been tempted to do this, but looks like more work than anticipated. I've been on Swift-five for a couple years now. Good crew on there, especially with the 2012 models.

I have invested a bit of money into the swift and rather than buying a ZC31S would rather put a thousandish into the 1.5L swift to get it to achieve sport like power instead, then buy a ZC32S later on.

SO far...
-2013 ZC31S Full Suspension
-Monster Sport Lowering Clutch Pedal
-Full Sound System (who cares)
-Greddy Trust Grex Gear Knob
-215-40-17 Pirelli PZero Nero's
-Project Mu Wheel Nuts
-Rear Exhaust,
(might decat centre pipe and replace with 50-55mm(2- 2 1/2") stainless)

I've had the car 2 and a half years, always just been a run about car, nothing serious--but some people are pushing some good non-turbo power out of swifts and I want to join the band wagon. I have considered many times going for full M16A engine swap, but the engine's are hard to find with low km's and my M15A engine has treated me well.

Any tips to increase power? It might be possible to fit the sport crank, pistons and rods to make it a m16a ?

Attachments:
carzsss.jpg
carzsss.jpg [ 538.99 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

Post subject: Re: ZC21S 2009 Swift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm 

Maybe you should attend hatch attack in qld on sept 15.
You will see plenty of cars to get ideas from.
Especially Dmwdave in his evo powered swift sport.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:00 pm 

1600GTI wrote:
Maybe you should attend hatch attack in qld on sept 15.
You will see plenty of cars to get ideas from.
Especially Dmwdave in his evo powered swift sport.

evo powered swift-sport?link? haha. EDIT: Found it, incredible.

I will be a bit busy around then, although i'll definitely consider grabbing a cheap flight to go there for a day or two, but wouldn't be tracking the car...too far to drive just for a short time. Would never be able to get any more time off.

Last edited by broy on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34719

Get a towel to wipe the drool from your lip. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:58 pm 

Mate the 50 mm straight through exhaust is a great idea. I have that on my Sport and its not that much louder than stock and it revs out nice and clean.

The other thing I would do is a lightened flywheel as these help the acceleration and pick up from a close throttle. Plus they improve braking by reducing engine inertia.

Braided brake lines will improve the pedal feel and make it easier to control on the limit.

The Swifts are already a good base even the 1.5 so a few simple mods will make it a fun car to drive.

If you really want to get carried away and LSD and lower final drive will also improve acceleration and cornering.

I've done it all bar the final drive. Still undecided on that one......

Forced induction is always the best bet if your after big power numbers and if your going to split the motor you might aswell get forged pistons and drop the compression a smidge. The problem with that is the dollars as most forced induction I've seen, be it turbo or supercharger, has cost in the vicinity of 8 - 10 grand.

How much do you want to spend??????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:52 am 

34wrc wrote:
Mate the 50 mm straight through exhaust is a great idea. I have that on my Sport and its not that much louder than stock and it revs out nice and clean.

The other thing I would do is a lightened flywheel as these help the acceleration and pick up from a close throttle. Plus they improve braking by reducing engine inertia.

Braided brake lines will improve the pedal feel and make it easier to control on the limit.

The Swifts are already a good base even the 1.5 so a few simple mods will make it a fun car to drive.

If you really want to get carried away and LSD and lower final drive will also improve acceleration and cornering.

I've done it all bar the final drive. Still undecided on that one......

Forced induction is always the best bet if your after big power numbers and if your going to split the motor you might aswell get forged pistons and drop the compression a smidge. The problem with that is the dollars as most forced induction I've seen, be it turbo or supercharger, has cost in the vicinity of 8 - 10 grand.

How much do you want to spend??????

Well I don't really want another turbo car...I'm getting rid of my forester at the moment.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... AD-2289004
Thing accelerates like nothing else i've driven, its stupid quick for a boat...(0-100 in 5.5ish, less if it had a proper tune) HAHA! So not interested in going that route. I am more interested in taking parts from the M16A motor and putting them on mine haha. I think gearbox would be a great start
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49165
The M16A flywheel is heavier, so would need to look at RRP etc. But one thing that is suppose to be better is the crank shaft. But don't really want to have to take half the motor apart for a minimal power gain.

I've had the brakes adjusted by Suzuki during 45k service. Someone must've driven the car and noticed my lowered clutch pedal and matched it because the brakes are SHORT and touchy now! They line up perfectly with the clutch. Braided is something i'll look into, also since the rears are drums...but not sure how easy it would be to put discs from a sport on since the hubs are 5 stud and I like 4 stud.

I don't want to spend crazy money haha, but I will look into the flywheel, and get the exhaust done when I have time. Also keep asking around to see what I can steal from M16A's, I am on the hunt for a low km (<60,000km) M16A motor and gearbox to tear apart.

Thanks for the response, but LSD and final drive I can't justify, I just can't imagine it would feel as planted as the LSD in the Renault 265 I drove end of last year. Unless I was tracking the car, then its a no brainer, my front left tyre loves to spin on corner exit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:28 am 

If you can find a final drive for the M15 gearbox that will make it feel like it has more power. It will keep the car in the meat of the power range and improve acceleration. Even with the open centre diff it would make the car much quicker. I fitted a 4.9 (stock 4.3) to my Daihatsu Charade and that became a rocket with a 1600 engine.

Converting to the M16 would be the best bet especially if you could run the M15 cable throttle and ECU but run the M16 injectors. My Charade used the 1300 ECU running the 1600 engine and injectors and that was a rocket as I said. But you would also need to look at things like drive shafts etc so maybe hunt down a front cut from a wrecker so that way you get everything, including the ECU. Maybe a long term upgrade.

The 50 mm straight through exhaust is from Sunline racing. Its actually for the M15 but bolts straight up to the M16.

http://www.nengun.com/sun-line-racing/c ... enter-pipe

The Monster Airfilter also helped the power and response -

http://www.nengun.com/monster/power-filter

The ZC31 Suspension is OK but a good set of coilovers will transform the car and make it a blast to drive. A rear swaybar is a big help too and I tried a Cusco 16 mm but am currently waiting on an Ultra Racing one which is 19 mm. I'm also running Ultra Racing front and rear strut bars to stiffen the chassis a little and sharpen the handling further. These are powder coated steel, cheap and effective.

As I say I have done all this to my 2010 Sport in an effort to replicate the swift series race cars and its great fun. No turbo just some good old fashion NA tuning, all bolt on stuff. I did a hill climb a few weeks back and I was the second NA car after a Subaru BRZ and 14th in a field of 28 cars that included EVOs and lots of other turbo cars. And I was only a second behind the 2 ltr BRZ.

You don't need a truck load of mods to make the swift a great fun car to drive just plan carefully the end result your after and it wont cost you a fortune either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:29 pm 

I was going to get a 50mm mid-pipe but I think the money will be better spend elsewhere unless I can get it installed for under $200. I could get mods to make more of a difference for the money of a stainless mid-pipe, I perceive them to cost so much for a pre-made one because they are cat-delete, so they add power and are attainable. I found out that the ZC21S doesn't even have a cat in the mid-pipe, only in the headers. So if I wanted to add power I would be better off finding a good set of headers with a cat (such as greddy). Only trouble is the god forsaken ECU... also, will ZC31S aftermarket headers fit the ZC21S (M15A)? I am unsure, also unsure if there is a difference between ZC31S stock headers and ZC21s stock headers. If there isn't I will save for the greddy, I was considering the flywheel clutch package but there isn't any heavy duty clutches available for the ZC21s that i can find, and the flywheel is already lighter than the ZC31S.
So i thought about the differences between the ZC31S and ZC21S, and one that bothers a lot of people that i never really considered is the intake manifold, people around the world have a hard time finding them, but sydney wreckers wouldn't know their true value? Looks like a lot of work though, but if it gives a 10HP gain it might be worth it.
http://swiftclubbrunei.blogspot.com.au/ ... ifold.html

Attachment:
File comment: The New Parts
image1.jpg
image1.jpg [ 150.39 KiB | Viewed 7544 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Rear Sway Bar, about 15 minutes to install and torque the living hell out of.
lf2q.jpg
lf2q.jpg [ 93.51 KiB | Viewed 7549 times ]

Attachment:
a1gm.jpg
a1gm.jpg [ 124.6 KiB | Viewed 7545 times ]

Attachment:
x3lv.jpg
x3lv.jpg [ 110.87 KiB | Viewed 7544 times ]

(took off fog light covers haha!!I think it looks meaner)

-Cusco Front Strut Bar
-Cusco Rear Sway Bar
-Simota Cold Air Intake

I drove it around my area a few times with just the rear sway and the turn in is ridiculous, the front strut helps it a lot to keep the chassis balanced. It makes the car feel a lot more rigid already, the suspension sits better even, I was on a straight bumpy road and let go of the steering wheel for about 100 meters, no movement. lol. If you are not as committed to taking half your engine bay apart...then I recommend an underbody 4-point brace and the cusco rear sway. 30 minutes to install both if you know what you are doing.

Simota Review:
It needs to be pushed HARD to get any power gains. But it also does improve torque down low, not by a great amount. One thing I find odd is second gear peaks lower, and you are better off short shifting to third which now has slightly more power down low. Feels odd without a tune, would definitely look into getting a tune if I had headers and bigger midpipe, there is definite gains to be had. If i had more money I would definitely do it, haha followed by forged pistons and a higher redline. N/A POWAH! Put a turbo on after all that (minus the manifold obviously) and you would have a serious car.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:26 am 

Hi bro! Nice swift.. White zc always looks nice to me..

For performance upgrade, It depends on the budget u're willing to spend, then make the best of it..
U can use m16a lianA block..
U can put m16a internal into m15a to increase displacement
Not much optional parts for the m15a gearbox.. Thats why i swapped..
I agree its better to look for m16a motor and box.. U can scavenge a lot from them..
Tiny expensive sensors for instance, would be nice to have them for spares.. U will also hv the advantage of cabled tb with zc21s ecu..
When swapping no need for modifying wiring..

I've installed 1.5way lsd in my gearbox, felt like stock when driving it slow..

True, suspension mod will give the swift a very fun to drive experience.. I remembered how i cant follow my friends NA zc21s track tuned suspension in my turboed m15a with only aftermarket spring in mysuspension mod.. When entering corner, its over for me.. Lol..

Headers the same between swift and sport.. Dont worry..

Ssshhh.. Dont spread around the intake manifold value.. Hehe.. Stockpiled it then sell hehe..
If i tried that mod bro.. 10-20whp in turbo setup.. I belive it will also improve the NA engine..
Bought it very cheap 2 years ago.. Now the price due to its rarity and dyno proven upgrade, the price quadripled..

For piggyback, i suggest you to use greddy, easy to tune and install..

Oh by the way i'm ivan, just a swifter from indonesia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:05 pm 

ddamddimddem wrote:

For performance upgrade, It depends on the budget u're willing to spend, then make the best of it..
I agree its better to look for m16a motor and box.. U can scavenge a lot from them..
Tiny expensive sensors for instance, would be nice to have them for spares.. U will also hv the advantage of cabled tb with zc21s ecu..
Cabled TB? EDIT: OH Throttle Cable, Yeah, its good, I love being able to rev it from the engine bay haha, and instant response. Sports are notorious for lag, even on manual...

I'm not a big fan of the M15A gearbox, definitely trying to source a full car to split apart. Not sure what route to go right now, either tune the M15A to get more power and higher rev limit, along with more torque down low

True, suspension mod will give the swift a very fun to drive experience.. I remembered how i cant follow my friends NA zc21s track tuned suspension in my turboed m15a with only aftermarket spring in mysuspension mod.. When entering corner, its over for me.. Lol..
front strut and rear sway are absolutely incredible so far, the tyres feel like they even grip better, before the front left tyre would get all the power, and struggle for grip. Now its near perfect, four point under chassis bar would be next handling mod

Ssshhh.. Dont spread around the intake manifold value.. Hehe.. Stockpiled it then sell hehe..
If i tried that mod bro.. 10-20whp in turbo setup.. I belive it will also improve the NA engine..
Bought it very cheap 2 years ago.. Now the price due to its rarity and dyno proven upgrade, the price quadripled..
still looking for complete engine, AND THIS INTAKE MANIFOLD

Tune myself? Not sure if thats a good idea, haha.

Answers are in red, thanks heaps for the feedback. I'm getting all the info I can right now. Budget is around $900AUD right now, so just see how I go with that for engine mods.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:48 am 

broy wrote:
ddamddimddem wrote:

Cabled TB? EDIT: OH Throttle Cable, Yeah, its good, I love being able to rev it from the engine bay haha, and instant response. Sports are notorious for lag, even on manual...

I'm not a big fan of the M15A gearbox, definitely trying to source a full car to split apart. Not sure what route to go right now, either tune the M15A to get more power and higher rev limit, along with more torque down low

front strut and rear sway are absolutely incredible so far, the tyres feel like they even grip better, before the front left tyre would get all the power, and struggle for grip. Now its near perfect, four point under chassis bar would be next handling mod

Answers are in red, thanks heaps for the feedback. I'm getting all the info I can right now. Budget is around $900AUD right now, so just see how I go with that for engine mods.

Hehe.. What i meant was that it's easy to install yourself so that can save money for the installation.. Can cost up to 150usd for piggyback instalation in indonesia.. Just put a base map, than run the car to local tuner to set..

For 900aud i think u can do much.. I'd suggest header, u'll be surprise of the instant power

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:08 pm 

broy wrote:
ddamddimddem wrote:

Answers are in red, thanks heaps for the feedback. I'm getting all the info I can right now. Bumanofis around $900AUD right now, so just see how I go with that for engine mods.

Which intake manifold you talking about..???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:03 pm 

cappa-wpn wrote:
broy wrote:
ddamddimddem wrote:

Answers are in red, thanks heaps for the feedback. I'm getting all the info I can right now. Bumanofis around $900AUD right now, so just see how I go with that for engine mods.

Which intake manifold you talking about..???

M16A intake manifold. But I am going to wait for the M16A engine to have one with it because if I was to put the M16A aluminium intake manifold on my M15A motor it would need to have a custom flange made for it to fit. FULL DETAILS HERE:
http://swiftclubbrunei.blogspot.com.au/ ... ifold.html

Yeah $900AUD isn't much, but just looking to make it as quick (or tiny bit quicker) than the swift sport (92KW) with that money. Just wondering if it would be better to get the headers, bigger mid-pipe, and tune (with piggy back to get that power), or money better spent towards getting an M16A and engine swapping it.

Just going to keep saving and look at some more options.
EDIT: You may be wondering why i just don't go buy a swift sport, but the price difference is around $2500 MINIMUM, for my model of car with same kilometres (not including near new shocks) the price difference is more like $3500, plus in Australia it's around $300-500 to get the ownership changed on buying a new car, plus registration costs, insurance costs etc. which I would save. Plus my car has been properly maintained and always serviced SINCE NEW.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:31 pm 

Yes u need to make a custom adaptor for the m15a TB to be installed with the sport manifold..
Well the best mod is to buy mod parts that can still be used with the m16a swap later like piggyback and headers..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:04 pm 

ddamddimddem wrote:
Yes u need to make a custom adaptor for the m15a TB to be installed with the sport manifold..
Well the best mod is to buy mod parts that can still be used with the m16a swap later like piggyback and headers..

Why would you want to bolt an m15 throttle body onto the m16 manifold..
Be smart and go do some research and go buy a proper throttle body.. even better than the m16 one..

I went and bought a ford el-au throttle body 68mm :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 pm 

cappa-wpn wrote:
ddamddimddem wrote:

Be smart and go do some research and go buy a proper throttle body.. even better than the m16 one..

Hehehe at that time i still dont hv my 65 Mm TB.. So the adaptor about 30usd is a reasonable option for me.. Gave me 20whp extra with same boost..

But i think for NA light setup.. M15a tb is still sufficient.. Might just have to bore up a little to 49mm..

Now i use 65mm tb with sport intake manifold, gives 381whp..but this setup is a whole different story..
And i'm wondering if ITB would give better power and powerband..

U use ford TB? Beside the TB does it require other mod?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:22 pm 

Hey mate nice car :)
Mainly just wanted to comment on a sway bar I noticed you installed.
In the photo I noticed you had it on stands when you photographed it - I assume you took this photo straight after install? If someone wants to back me up or correct me if I'm wrong but when installing sway bars you should have the car on ramps/hoist so it's under it's own load/weight as the wheels sit different when it's not. Otherwise when you bolt it in the sway bar will be (for lack of a better word) 'set' to the allignment/geometry of the car without load. Then you'll jack it down and the wheels will change position and the sway bar will already be trying to change how the car is sitting. By doing it on ramps/hoist, the wheel positioning doesn't change before/after sway bad install so it should sit more 'comfortably'
I'm not certain on this however it's what I've always done - if someone wants to clarify if I'm wrong or right and preferable EXPLAIN why I'm wrong not just say I'm wrong, that'll be very appreciated by me and I'm sure other forum members.

Also I strongly recommend coilovers! Will be around $1000 but a million dollars worth of improvement. I've also found they ride more comfortably in my cars then just after market spring/strut as the dampening can actually be set up properly and to match spring rates etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 pm 

I have a complete Sport engine & box (60k) complete with ECU wiring harness, pedal boxes etc
also sport front & rear brakes, hubs etc

Cheers Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:23 am 

FangGTi wrote:
Hey mate nice car :)
Mainly just wanted to comment on a sway bar I noticed you installed.
In the photo I noticed you had it on stands when you photographed it - I assume you took this photo straight after install? If someone wants to back me up or correct me if I'm wrong but when installing sway bars you should have the car on ramps/hoist so it's under it's own load/weight as the wheels sit different when it's not. Otherwise when you bolt it in the sway bar will be (for lack of a better word) 'set' to the allignment/geometry of the car without load. Then you'll jack it down and the wheels will change position and the sway bar will already be trying to change how the car is sitting. By doing it on ramps/hoist, the wheel positioning doesn't change before/after sway bad install so it should sit more 'comfortably'
I'm not certain on this however it's what I've always done - if someone wants to clarify if I'm wrong or right and preferable EXPLAIN why I'm wrong not just say I'm wrong, that'll be very appreciated by me and I'm sure other forum members.

Also I strongly recommend coilovers! Will be around $1000 but a million dollars worth of improvement. I've also found they ride more comfortably in my cars then just after market spring/strut as the dampening can actually be set up properly and to match spring rates etc

You are 100% correct. I didn't have time to do it any other way, and my car was just driven and hot, so squeezing under the car with a hot exhaust in my face wasn't an option haha. (no ramps). The jackstands were at the lowest setting and it didn't seem any different when taken off jack stands. There is debate online about whether it matters too much. I torqued nuts as much as i could, although i still want to tighten them more when the car is under its own load, so I may do just that, put it on stands, loosen the bolts a tiny bit, take it off jack stands, and tighten tighten tighten. Although that is because i'm OCD, not because i believe it will make any difference.

Yeah coilovers would be good, but for a street car I can't justify the dollars. Only coilovers I would settle for is cusco (not zero-1, no damper control), tein, or KW V3. They are all upwards of $1700, money better spent on engine mods right now. I drive my car a lot on country roads and the monroe shocks are great, anything stiffer would destroy my back. There are some buddyclub N+ (jap made) coilovers for sale by beanbag on swift-five if anyone is interested.
cappa-wpn wrote:
ddamddimddem wrote:

Anything is an improvement over the stock plastic intake manifold on my M15A. throttle bodys aren't cheap...providing minimal gains on my stock engine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:36 am 

For coilovers
Look at HSD HR - I have them in my skyline and they're great. They cost about 1300 and ride nicer than the (I think I originally had) Monroe in mine as they're less half and they work as one instead of just a spring doing all the work. Another option is MCA for 1550 but I doubt he would have any available for your car