It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Project "Ugly Duckling"
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:57 am 

Had a great day out at the drags. Managed to run a great10.495 over the 1/8th which is a 0.25 sec gain over my best time last time so i am stoked! It's running really well and i think with the msd and maybe +2 deg more timing i could see another 10th but we'll see.

Very happy with the results though :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:08 am 

Wideband AFR kits are cheap insurance. Plug colour is far too vague in my opinion.

Congrats on your improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:56 pm 

Cheers. I was thinking about a wideband but can't justify the spend right now and don't want to take the one i have for my turbo car either. For now i will leave it as is will need to wait as i am now in Alice Springs for a week and that has blown a big hole in the budget. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:30 am 

Okay so I finally did something I have been meaning to do for years and went to a "Come & Try" day with a local car club at Symonds Plains. My wife and I both ran the Duck and had a ball.

The only change made to the car before heading out was to borrow the strut braces from Monster to try and tighten up the steering a little. The worn shocks were noticeable but not terrible and all in all the car went well.

I gave myself a scare 3 laps into my opening rec run loosing the accelerator pedal mid track (at the hairpin) going for 3rd but was lucky enough to coast all the way back to the pits. At first I thought I had snapped the cable but was fortunate it had only come off the back of the intake. All tightened up we were good to go again :)

A few highlights were a BIG lockup in the "garage to garage" run. I decided to commit hard and brake from 100km/h with not a lot of track left I just slipped through the end of the "pit" all locked up :P

in the final lap sprint I was hunting down the car which started 12 seconds ahead when I missed judged the breaking point at the end of the back "straight" (165km/h) and overshot into the grass at about 80km/h but only damaged my ego :P

here's a link to the FB page for the club which has a lot of photo's from the day. I didn't get many of interest so feel free to look through these. We had a great day and I'm keen to get out there more often for full competition style Sprint races ASAP - most likely when Monster is finished :)

https://www.facebook.com/LightCarClubOfTasmania

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:38 pm 

Hey mate, good to see all is well. How is the turbo car going? Me and Gricey have been talking about that car last week at work..Are you along way off?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:59 pm 

redcino5door wrote:
Hey mate, good to see all is well. How is the turbo car going? Me and Gricey have been talking about that car last week at work..Are you along way off?

Hi mate, you can take a look at the build thread for it for where it's at. I don't have buckets of time and money so it takes time to work through. It is getting there. If you boys want to come help it along I won't say no to some mechanics donating time and knowledge to the cause. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:54 am 

A Handful of action shots from the track day :)

Out of the hairpin - slowest corner is Aus Motorsport from memory
Attachment:
Hairpin Action shot.jpg
Hairpin Action shot.jpg [ 228.62 KiB | Viewed 86 times ]

Slalom Shots
Attachment:
Slalom Baby.jpg
Slalom Baby.jpg [ 164.4 KiB | Viewed 102 times ]

Attachment:
Slalom Baby2.jpg
Slalom Baby2.jpg [ 191.22 KiB | Viewed 86 times ]

QM runs down the back straight
Attachment:
Track day1.jpg
Track day1.jpg [ 146.13 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Attachment:
Track day2.jpg
Track day2.jpg [ 138.76 KiB | Viewed 92 times ]

Attachment:
Track day3.jpg
Track day3.jpg [ 131.99 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

Hoopefully there will also be a few shots of the sprint run at the end of the day but I will have to wait for them

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 pm 

Lookin' good Taz,
Driving them is always the most fun part though.
If ever you bring the Duck this far north I'll take you all for a cruise through the local scenery. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 pm 

Thanks Dave! I will take you up on that but hopefully it will be in the turbo car instead :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:58 am 

Managed to pick up some cheap Monza "Race" seats on the weekend. T hey aren't the prettiest but are comfy and should be a nice snug fit. My only thing is how to fit them? I had a look at the rails from the passenger seat of the car and the holes on the seats and there is a bit of difference. What do people normally do to fit them?

Any help is appreciated as this is not my area at all! Cheers

Attachment:
Race seats.jpg
Race seats.jpg [ 21.03 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:44 pm 

Weld some flat bar across the rails and drill holes to suit. You will need to offset the holes so the seat actually sits in the middle of the steering wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 pm 

Cheers, I'm starting to think (from searching and your post) that I will need to enlist some paid help on these as I don't have the skills for welding etc. I might just have to see what a guy I know would charge to make something up and fit them... Or I may just sell them lol

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:51 am 

I had my last weekday off for the next 6 months at least yesterday so I thought I had better put it to good use!

So I fitted the following to "duck" just for shits and giggles :P

- GAB adjustable front shocks, KYB Rears with Lovells "Low" springs replacing the shot Koni rears, Pedders fronts with Pedders Low Springs.

- Whiteline Front Strut Brace (the rear from Monster will stay on from now on :wink: )

- Whiteline 20mm Rear swaybar

- Harris Motorsport Underbody Brace aka possum killer :P

It took some time and farting about as the rear shocks were so stuffed that the springs were locked into the top of the mounting from taking all the weight! I also found that the swaybar link on the driver's side at the rear wasn't even connected and the other end was finger loose! :shock: so it is fair to say that the 20mm will make a massive difference!

The car is currently in for a wheel alignment so I will get to properly test it all later today as I finished at 12am.

Here are a few pics...

Attachment:
Strut Brace.jpg
Strut Brace.jpg [ 544.25 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]

Attachment:
Rear Sway bar.jpg
Rear Sway bar.jpg [ 364.82 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

Attachment:
Underbody Brace.jpg
Underbody Brace.jpg [ 589.79 KiB | Viewed 87 times ]

Interesting comparison of the Lovells Fronts Vs the Pedders...
Attachment:
Front Strut Compare.jpg
Front Strut Compare.jpg [ 705.6 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

I also now have these waiting for some $ for cam gears, belts and tuning...

Attachment:
Cams.jpg
Cams.jpg [ 359.86 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:40 pm 

So which were the Pedders and which the Lovells?
Have to lower mine again when I have the right sized tyres back on.
Did you feel any difference with the properly installed rear sway bar over the way it was?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 pm 

The Lovells are the blue the pedders red.

As for difference the car corners much flatter now. Which will be the better shocks combined with the swat bar. Unfortunately the wheel shop I had obviously has never done a wheel alignment before as they "guessed" what the rear setup was supposed to be as "it wasn't in our book" and the car pulls harder left now than when I gave it too them #-o

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:57 pm 

Managed to get the setup sorted wednesday and the car is running and handling great now. I did a 330km highway run Thursday for work and she went well though I'm now thinking a big front swaybar is needed as the front does lift a but more than I like, it isn't bad at all, I just love the flatness that a 27mm Whiteline setup gives :)

I have also now sold the seats as they were going to be a PITA to fit and the cams are up for sale as I have decided I need to focus on the Turbo car if I ever plan on finishing it! :P

On the cards for this car though are some braided brake lines from HEL, slotted rotors from 2Swift and a set of Bendix pads all around to help with braking on my more spirited drives.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:11 am 

Well it has been ages since I posted on this build as I really haven't done a lot to it other than drive it and enjoy it.

However it has come time for a new owner (a fellow redliner) as I need to get as much as I can done on "Project Monster" :twisted:

Selling this will mean I need to buy a pushie so I can get to work (the buses are too expensive!) but having the extra $ to get the other build close to done will be awesome! The $ from this will pay for a new dump pipe and exhaust and a few other bits and pieces. Most likely I will also get the adjustable strut tops fitted and the suspension setup I will also look at getting a set of calipers from a new swift and some decent pads to suit.

Having all that doe will mean the bulk of the work on the car will be finished, It will just need tuning, running in, mod plate and rego :)

Here is a pic of th "duck" as it sits now. I put new boots on her for the sale as I'm keeping the white rims for Monster.

Attachment:
rims.jpg
rims.jpg [ 466.68 KiB | Viewed 68 times ]