It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project "Ugly Duckling"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 am 

Well the last of my tidy up parts is fitted and I've got it running nicely :)

The final touch was a set of these for the tattered front seats :)

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 44.97 KiB | Viewed 3834 times ]

Attachment:
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 49.5 KiB | Viewed 3841 times ]

Bought off of Ebay these are Australian made and well put together, they also fit a GTi seat near perfect which is great!

Now that my tidy up is complete I must sell the old girl to prove to my Mrs it wasn't all just for me to play with a GTi :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:46 pm 

what's the red one in the shed?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:55 pm 

SOBIL wrote:
what's the red one in the shed?

The red one in the shed is a Mk1 GTi slowing being rebuilt by "thedozzman" he's just about there but needs a gearbox and some panel beating on the rear (RHS) before he gets it ready for registration. It's a slow build as the mk3 next to it is also being rebuilt and he just bought another Mk1 to (quickly - aparently) rebuild and use as a daily drive :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 pm 

Covers look good Dave. :-) Yeah I'm a greedy bugger with three GTis in various states of repair. The black one is having a bodykit slapped on (cheers David) and a fuel system clean out. The red one is my project, original matching numbers 88 Mk1 needing much work. And new acquisition is another 88 with diff woes so the case is getting fixed so it can go back on the road. So hopefully quickly as a new diff centre, a few bearings and some welding only takes a few days to get done. :-D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:36 pm 

Was good to catchup today Dave, I can now understand why there is no comparison between a cino and gti, thanks for letting me drive your car. Let me know how you go with the dizzy and when you have finished tidying the beast up. Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:58 pm 

redcino5door wrote:
Was good to catchup today Dave, I can now understand why there is no comparison between a cino and gti, thanks for letting me drive your car. Let me know how you go with the dizzy and when you have finished tidying the beast up. Cheers

Thanks Mate, Cino is a fine Daily but its not GTi so hopefully we can help each other out and get you into a GTi and me closer to finishing "The Monster" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 pm 

Well after having no luck selling it so far and still having a misfire issue I haven't cracked I thought I would update this a little.

I've returned the car to all white again and got the matching wheels back on. I've also got some new front rotors to go on and some new plug leads to (hopefully) fix the miss. Here's hoping!

Attachment:
White.JPG
White.JPG [ 124.89 KiB | Viewed 3625 times ]

Attachment:
White 2.JPG
White 2.JPG [ 138.35 KiB | Viewed 3501 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:54 pm 

How much are you asking?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:28 pm 

johno27 wrote:
How much are you asking?

$2250. But i'm in Tassie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:15 pm 

Nice work Dave, def looks better in white IMO :) sorry I missed you last week would of liked to drive the GTi again, I need to sell the cino so I can buy this off you mate ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 pm 

Its all good mate I'm enjoying it while I have it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:50 am 

So keeping in line with my keeping the car unless someone (no looking at anyone above :^o ) comes up with a decent offer for it. I bought some new rims as I needed tyres and this set of wheels was too good to pass up, especially as it came as a set of 5 rims and are in great nick :)

Now to sell off the old wheels :)

Attachment:
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG [ 126.5 KiB | Viewed 3347 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 am 

Nice 1 Dave looking the goods now mate. Did your lead set fix the miss fire? The wheels look better too Dave IMO. I'm up your way in a few weeks I'll txt you to catch up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:33 pm 

Just fitted the top gun leads and new dizzy cap and its running strong at the drags. Looking a treat with the new wheels too. Let me know whenyou're headed up next.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 pm 

A couple more tweaks and a run out at the drags over the weekend and things are going nicely.

I'm 99% sure I've worked out why the car is still missing... Looks like the o-ring on the replacement dizzy didn't seal as I've got oil in the dizzy again. For now I've cleaned it out with WD40 and a rag and it ran like a dream all weekend. I'll go through my spare o-ring collection and hopefully find one that fits and get it sorted in the next few days.

My run at the drags didn't quite produce the times I was hoping for but I did work ot a few things with the setup. With the Chipped ECU (Gtaye) and 8.8mm top gun leads the car was running well but I was running on an unprepped lane so had no traction for the first 60ft+ which kept my times to consistent 10.7's for the 1/8th (the track he being revamped after 2 years of no racing and neglect) which is just shy of the 10.65 I ran before the mod's but on a prepped track. I'd say with a decent track I could get down to about 10.4 which I would be happy with on this setup.

I could feel the car was very restricted above 7500rpm with the stock intake etc so I might just fit up the SR20 and bored intake I have laying about plus the 4-1 extractors as well (stock fitted) and see if I can't chase down a 10 flat. To put that in perspective some older lightly mod'd V6's ran low 10's so its not bad for a pretty stock car with 306,000k's on it :)

I think I have busted the rear engine mount coming home which is annoying but no big deal as I have at least one spare. I'll fit that up and get some decent gearbox oil in it and she'll be good as gold :)

A few pics from the day including some stickers from SWIFTRS...

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 114.59 KiB | Viewed 3266 times ]

Attachment:
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 128.18 KiB | Viewed 3243 times ]

Attachment:
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG [ 169.76 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 pm 

thedozzman wrote:
Covers look good Dave. :-) Yeah I'm a greedy bugger with three GTis in various states of repair. The black one is having a bodykit slapped on (cheers David) and a fuel system clean out. The red one is my project, original matching numbers 88 Mk1 needing much work. And new acquisition is another 88 with diff woes so the case is getting fixed so it can go back on the road. So hopefully quickly as a new diff centre, a few bearings and some welding only takes a few days to get done. :-D

I have a mk1 GTi complete box for sale down in Hobart if your interested.....

1990 Mk2 GTi - Intercooled, Turbo'ed, LSD, BD10's - Engineered.
1985 Sierra Flat Tray - Gti Powered, Lux Diffed, - Engineered.
1978 LJ80 - Bar Treads, Rag Top - Next Project.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:20 pm 

After inspecting the engine mounts on the weekend it appears that 2nd gear is worn out rather than a busted mount as all mounts were in reasonable shape :( so i've got a good second hand box on its way and hopefully I can beat the Christmas rush and get it here before then.

My Christmas/New Year plan is to fit that with the spare HD clutch I have and the 4-1 extractors while I'm at it. Then I have a few other bits lined up to come in the new year... So much for a quick tidy up and resale lol!

(For those who follow my other build I'm am slowly saving for the gearbox setup I need and will also be spending some time on small jobs on it over the Christmas?New Year Period... If things like these breakages were to stop I could get there faster! LOL)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:57 am 

Okay so the "Duck" saw a little action last night in the shed (well a mates shed) We fitted up the 4-1 extractors and replaced the Dizzy for the second time as the "good" replacement I bought was no good :( so hoping this "Good" spare works properly!

I was super surprised at the size and weight difference of the stock headers Vs the aftermarket ones. The stock ones weighed a tonne (then add the covers on top!) and didn't look to flow very well where as the replacement ones were quite light and look like they will flow well :)

now to see where my gearbox is at (e-go I'm looking at you!) and we (Buzz and I) will also fit up the Mk1 GrA intake with SR@) TB setup I have while we're at it :)

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 217.21 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:26 pm 

Good looking headers. ShouLd be good up top i imagine.

are you getting anything done to the gear box. Lsd?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:41 pm 

Thanks! I'm hoping they will help solve the breathless feeling it had over 7000rpm :wink:

As for the box its just a second hand unit, nothing special, the car sees the track on occasions but not enough to warrant something like an lsd setup, I'd love one but I need to concentrate the $ for that kind of thing on my turbo build which hasn't seen much love these past few months

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next