It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: My first Swift and I love it Mk 1 GA 1984 called poop
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:41 pm 

If it will stop friggin raining I may be able to get the other seat in. They are ten times more comfy than the stock, but damn if you dont put the seat back to get out you have to almost roll out or do some strange high jump back arch manoeuvre.

They week i ordered some low felix sport springs for my mira with only the intention of using the back ones on it and the fronts for the swift. I also found some chevoit's that would look awesome on poop but unfortunately they are 4x100 so they will be put aside for the mira too.
Here is the pics of the springs. The large one is a stock mira spring but is almost the same length as poop's springs.
I think I may be putting those swift top hats back on too.

Attachments:
P1015930 (Large).JPG
P1015930 (Large).JPG [ 258.69 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]
P1015928 (Large).JPG
P1015928 (Large).JPG [ 364.09 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
P1015927 (Large).JPG
P1015927 (Large).JPG [ 361.14 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm 

FAIL FAIL FAIL is the outcome for the low felix springs. I took my stock springs out took a pic of them both the felix ones and the stock ones. WOW alot shorter indeed. I compressed the springs them a little put everything on including the top hat spacer thing and bolted strut tops on. uncompressed the springs and that where it was FAIL FAIL FAIL. Besides my struts being rather s**t and could really do with being replaced, there is about an inch to 1.5 inch of gap (free play top or bottom) and the springs can rattle around quite well in there.
F**k it I was really hoping this would work.

looks like i will sell them to a daihatsu person and try to regain some cost. Atleast my rear springs for my mira fit so wasnt all bad.

Attachments:
P1015943 (Large).JPG
P1015943 (Large).JPG [ 492.12 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:01 pm 

Ok after having the fail with the springs and that I was hoping would work. I decided to go back to the drawing board and came up with this. Also the fact my struts arent too good.
*Daewoo Matiz struts and using the springs that previously failed in the swift struts.
I thought of this as my first 3cyl car was a matiz.
Off to the wreckers i went found the matiz did a quick measure up of the struts and they were within spec to justify buying and testing.

There is a pic of the matiz strut next to the swift one I have been running with the daihatsu mira tops and the matiz one is on the bottom in the pic.

I managed to get it to work but I had to slighty slot the bottom strut hole to fit the hub It was only about 3mm I had to slot.
The other thing is that the spring only just fits snug in there so there is minimal pressure on the strut.
I will give it a run like this and see how it goes. I have a feeling it may be too soft for my likiing and if that is the case I will use the matiz springs in there as they seem a bit thicker and stronger and should have the same height clearance as before but a better setup.
Anyway here is the pics and Im off for a test drive.

Attachments:
P1015944 (Large).JPG
P1015944 (Large).JPG [ 594.55 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]
P1015945 (Large).JPG
P1015945 (Large).JPG [ 585.45 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:02 pm 

oh crap i just looked at that top pic and i put the spring on upside down. Oh well test driving like it is. :oops: :oops: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:34 pm 

initial test drive is good (40mins). A little more clunky (it could just be me paying more attention) but nothing has moved and everything still looks good. Ride height has been kept pretty much the same as old setup but much firmer than before and definately doesn't squash hard in the front in corners. So far so good. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 pm 

This seems like a whole lot of unnecessary dicking around when King Springs sell off-the-shelf lowered front springs to suit your car - KSFL12 is the model number.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:47 am 

yeh it was/ is really and I was going to go that way and nearly clicked buy it now on ebay a few times but i needed better struts too and I got the struts under the price of the king springs and managed to achieve pretty much the same result.
The springs were really left over as they came with the sport springs for the daihatsu and I couldn't just buy the rears. I tried selling them to other mira owners but 95% of them are tight arse's (worse than me), that would rather drive around on chopped springs than buy a cheap set of low strut's and lower sport springs. I tried selling both cheap and no sale. But yet I always hear "how do I make my mira lower".
Anyway I have learnt a bit of R&D a long the way about the swift, the mira and the matiz and eventually some of these things will be harder too get for the swift so at least we know what will work now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:01 pm 

No disrespect to you for having a go, I'm just at the age where if there's an easy way to get a good result, that's the option I pick. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:48 am 

Oh I know that too mate Im usually the same Im not a youngster either (40 next year) and usually look for the easier way to do things myself. I think it's just an issue I have that I like to give things a go and try different things. Especially things and combinations that people haven't tried before. I also at the current time have to be mindful of $$$ as Im currently not working due to being on a long waiting list for surgery. With that being said i probably have too much time to think hahaha. I should be looking for the easy way as 1/2 -1 day working on the car normally is usually 1-2 days recovery.
Well what I did learn from it is that is the most probably useful for mk1 swift owners is that a set of matiz struts and springs will bolt into a swift if you slot the bottom holes just slighty and if you got a set of low matiz king springs it would go even lower. That's for all those that love low too much. lol

So know I have daewoo matiz shocks in the front and Hyundai excel shocks in the back. Now got to do something about those rear leaf springs. Handling is ten times better than stocK and just dropping the back a little should just make it that bit better.
Anyone know where to get some extra leaf's that fit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:54 am 

The new year didnt start off on a good note for poop. I burnt my clutch out right b4 I was moving house. It was a very slow 60kms on the highway to get her to the new address.
A good thing that happened was one of the awesome members from within this forum sent me some back window hinges a few days b4 I was moving. It was like I got a second xmas pressie.

Anyway finally settled into new house and I a chance to get underway with some repairs etc with poop. Yesterday I took the gearbox out to see what was left of my clutch and well it was pretty flat.
I won an ebay auction for a new unused cluth kit for a bargain price of $11 plus postage. So I will wait till that gets here and get little poop back on the road.

On the weekend the mrs and I made a last minute overnight holiday escape up to mount tambourine. While there I caught up with some friends and one of them had been holding onto a set of 12inch rims for me for poop. I originally wanted to go 13's but I have an abundance of 12 inch tyres now and I think these will look the part in sticking with the more old school classic look.

Ok some interesting Things i found out whe I took the clutch off is that mine is the 160mm diameter clutch. There was a bit of confusion if it would be the 170 or the 160. It seem both would fit in though. I have a excedy 3 puk semi race clutch for my mira so while everything was out I checked it out for compatibility and size. well it seems that the mira clutch fits perfect but is 170mm and the pressure plate bolts straight on also and even the height of the pressure plates while laying flat on the ground is exactly the same.
If I hadnt of won the other auction on the clutch I think that is the way I would have gone.

Now the pics :)
I do appologise of the pic quality I took them in the garage last night with the mrs iphone. It was a little dark

Attachments:
File comment: mira clutch
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 2.29 MiB | Viewed 115 times ]
File comment: swift clutch
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 113 times ]
File comment: gearbox
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 119 times ]
File comment: new shoes
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 2.57 MiB | Viewed 109 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am 

Still waiting for my clutch to get here. It feels like its taking forever, so in the meantime I started converting my 1&3/4 inch exhaust from my mira for the swift. I haven't done much as yet I have only put a cat from a pintara on there so far ( yes it has a cat damn it) and sorting out the front manifold mount for it. There wont be heaps I have to do as the last section is already is 1&3/4 inch but I will be deleting the last muffler as I have a hot dog and a sports muffler after the cat, so I will use some straight pipe to replace it.

Ive got my fingers crossed with this one as its really my first attempt to get everything right on a whole exhaust system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:58 pm 

Wow its been a while. The exhaust is finished and in the car the clutch finally got here a week or 2 ago. The flywheel is now in at an engineer's to get machined and lightened. (I though it was best to get it done while everything is out). The exhaust is ok I still have a lot of welding experience to gain but from start to finish I was improving. Not being all that confident In my weld seals I used some muffler putty around the welds and some old exhaust bandage on joins and the bend around the fuel tank.
Exhaust is all bolted up and had to make a few adjustments to get the bigger sports muffler to fit where I wanted it. We will see how it all goes once its all back together. The best part about it was that it was all spare stuff that would have gone to waste otherwise so pretty much FREE!
If Im not happy with it I will just rip it out and make the necessary adjustments.
After that is all done i will have to do the timing belt. I may have a look between the daihatsu stuff I have here and the g10 and see if my lightened crank pulley will fit the swift. Hmm maybe see if the cam and crank sprocket's can go too. hmmm I have enough stuff here to test the theories.
Time will tell.

Attachments:
P1016110 (Large).JPG
P1016110 (Large).JPG [ 396.61 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]
P1016109 (Large).JPG
P1016109 (Large).JPG [ 400.79 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]
P1016108 (Large).JPG
P1016108 (Large).JPG [ 423.86 KiB | Viewed 113 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:37 am 

Nice to see some progress. Is that a GTI exhaust?

while you have the fly wheel off bang a rear main seal into it. for the $15 or so it will cost your going to save you doing the whole job again sometime in the next 100,000 km.

Those wheels will look sick after a bit of a resto'. Add some 50 mm spacers and bolt on flares and it will look JDM as $%^&.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:39 pm 

Oh yeh! crap, I completely forgot about main seal. Thanks man! !will grab one when in town next. Nah the exhaust is just a mix and match of stuff I already had. Most of it was from my daihatsu mira (I have a brand new 2 inch system for it) and just used a cat from a pintara and other bits and pieces I had to make it up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:22 pm 

Spent the weekend working on the the car. On Saturday morning I tried every which way I could to get that damn gearbox back on, but no matter how much I wiggled it, tightened bolts to line it up or which way I held my tongue while doing all the above it just wouldn't go.

I made the decision and went for it. So engine came out and gearbox was on in a couple of minutes. Replaced timing belt also while it was out and found that it my 3cy daihatsu stuff was very incompatible.
Every thing was going good till the front engine mount snapped right through the rubber. So instead of waiting a week to drive it again, I made it a solid mount at the front and all I did was weld some scrap metal I cut to fit down 2 of the sides and welded it solid. Works fine and it will do until I get another one in a week or so.
Today I was a bit slower off the mark and throughout the day. I got most things back together I just nee to put the air filter a few vacc hosses, 1 struts and wheels etc back on and In done.
I did get to start it and my exhaust was a success and sounds ok.
Hopefully tomorrow arvo I will finish it and take it for a spin.
No pics this time I couldn't be bothered lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 am 

Sounds like you and Poop have been having some fun together recently.
I like your adventurous recycling rebuild, I don't think I've had a car yet that hasn't ended up with a few non brand parts somewhere, particularly after a trip to the wreckers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:30 pm 

Hell yeh I got it finished today. It was a day late as I had unexpected s**t happen but all back on the road and holy s**t what a difference the exhaust and 1kg off the flywheel.
When I put the foot down it is soooooo much more responsive and I have heaps more power than what it had stock.
I need to adjust the clutch a little more but other than that Im really friggin happy with it. Next will be the wheels but I got 2 cars to get ready to go through rego first.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:58 am 

Gonna take exhaust back out and make some adjustments to it. Its been hitting in a couple of places and because of that last muffler it sits way to low. For my first attempt I think i did ok but it needs improving. Im just glad I didnt pay $400 plus to have the same thing happen to me like the last exhaust system I got made for another car.
Been working on the mrs mx6 for a little bit now and waiting on my bro in-law to finish some body work so i can finish it. (My mrs asked him so I gotta let him finish it and its painful).
Anyway I will get the exhaust out again, move the cat over a bit and maybe put the back muffer in the back where there is more room. Its alot of dickin around but it's gotta be done.

I been thinking with poop (swift) turning 30 this year I might join the local hillclimb club, get a cams licence, get club reg and take it to the clubs hill climb events. Not to win just for a bit of fun and the cheaper rego.

Its my bday this month and I know my mrs has already got me a couple of things and well given me some already. (new trolley jack and car ramps) She has said she got something for the swift for me too so Im yet to see what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:33 pm 

Do it!!!! you'll have a blast! Most car club people respect the attitude not the car, so don't feel like it will laughed at or anything like that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:03 am 

Im not worried about being laughed at lol Infact if it makes people smile and laugh then I've made their day happier.