It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: My first Swift and I love it Mk 1 GA 1984 called poop
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hi, I thought I should start a build thread so you can get to know who I am and what Im doing.
I bought my first Suzuki (car) a few weeks ago and loved it from the first drive.
My Mrs wasn't really impressed when buying the car mainly because of what the paint looked like but when she took it for a drive she couldn't keep the smile from her face. She named it poop because of the colour and how the paint looks. Well like real poop it has stuck so that is the name that has stuck.

Its a 1984 GA Swift which is the first of the MK1's according to the the tech article here.
At some time the owner must have put rear seats in as from reading that article the first model's were a 3 door van yet mine has rear seat.

It is powered by the 3cyl g10a (I have a love for 3 cylinder cars) and runs very well. On the clock it has 194xxx K's. Which is extremely low for a car this age unless its actually been round the clock once b4.

The plans I have for it are pretty simple and basic and nothing over the top.

* I want to upgrade the suspension - I have already put some stiffer shocks in the back but I think this will be temporary and they shocks only just fit on the bottom, but I may be able to rectify this rather easily or if not I may double up the rear leaf springs. For the front I will get some lowered King springs. I may leave the rear standard height for a bit of rake. lol

* I will make a 1.75 inch exhaust for it as I basically have all I need to do it. I have a 1.75 exhaust I'm now not using from a daihatsu mira and I probably have enough other bits n pieces to finish it off.

* Wheels something in 13 inch will go nice preferably some with old school look.

* re-do the paint obviously but keeping the original colour. I did think about black bonnet but not sure. thoughts?

* For the interior I will keep the stock radio in there but want to put build a tray under the passenger side to mount a usb head deck only because the radio only pics up am and no one else likes my singing except me. I replaced the armrests with ones i had from a daihatsu applause wreck and they were a direct fit. :D

* Last i will get the seats re-trimmed and looking good as now the look terrible and have quite a few rips.

As for performance I want to keep the standard 3cyl g10a. I haven't looked into performance for these to much yet but if there is any cams or adjustable cam gear or maybe a decent carby that don't cost the earth then I may go that way.

Also if anyone can point me to good threads with good info on what can and cant be used on these from other models that would be great, but i don't mind finding what I need to eventually also.
Feedback is always welcome too.
Oh anyone know how to get water out of a sealed beam headlight?

Well here is some pics of the beast.

Cheers Jimmy

Attachments:
P10156332.JPG
P10156332.JPG [ 774.08 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]
P10156342.JPG
P10156342.JPG [ 881.83 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]
P10156312.JPG
P10156312.JPG [ 812.07 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]
P10156292.JPG
P10156292.JPG [ 913.52 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]
P10156282.JPG
P10156282.JPG [ 961.93 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

Post subject: Re: My first Swift and I love it Mk 1 GA 1984 called poop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 am 

I want your rear hatch. Much smoother looking then the ones with the big ugly lights sticking out!

For your rear leaves hit up these guys: http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/ As they wont be in stock they will have to make them allowing you to pick your height and stiffness generally for no extra charge, same as your front springs. Made in Aus with BHP steel as well.

Check out this http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67265947-Mighty-Boy-project for some budget g10 mods. ends up netting 29kw atw.

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:01 am 

Thanks heaps man. I will look into to the rear leaf springs when I got some coin. haha I'm loving that mighty boy build. Always loved them since I saw the add on tv as a kid. This will be a relatively slow and boring build no doubt compared to most that will be doing a lot more than what I'm going to be doing.
I went out to the local wreckers the other day and found an 85 berina out there but most of i was gone and nothing I could use. I started going through the pile of alloys they had there to see what I could find that might suit. I found 1 rim looked like it had been on a hyundai excel but looked like it would suit. The owner told me all 4 were in there so the hunt began. After about 2 hrs I found 1 more, 3 nissan pulsar turbo rims that would have looked awesome. I set of series 2 rx7 rims and a set of charade G11 rims as well. Well the last 2 are no good as they are 110 pcd but I was surprised to find them.
I will hunt around at the other local wreckers when I get to them as they are quite a distance from home. I think I have a good chance at finding some bits and bobs at one of the others as they have heaps there.

You cant have my hatch Mr. Beaker but If I see another one around I will let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm 

I would love to have a Mighty Boy one day but being 190+cm tall rules it out. The GTi is bad enough.

If you don't mind going 15" wheels a lot of the old 4 stud jap cars (silvia, 180) have near on perfect offsets for the MK1. So opens up the second hand market a lot. I was going to run 16x7 fronts and 16x8 rears from a s13. They fitted fine all round. The rears sat just in from the guard and the fronts poked out by about 10mm. Nothing some heat and a hammer couldn't fix.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm 

Hey there. Great little cheap project car! Could have some real fun with colour and styling. You could say go away from "two tone" black and brown look to full brown and colour code everything (or other direction and pimping two tone with gold instead of black :lol: )? As you said some old school rims would be good. Could even look at 14's but tyre choice isn't that great.

De-badge it and maybe clear lenses front and rear (if can find another car which matches) would change age of car. Little bit of wheel tuck and fill those arches.

If it were mine I would give my wife the shits by stripping the paint and do the rusty look for giggles :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 pm 

mr.beaker wrote:
I would love to have a Mighty Boy one day but being 190+cm tall rules it out. The GTi is bad enough.

I'm the same height and fitting into an MB is no problem at all. There is more cabin length than you think! ;)

FlyingGrape wrote:
De-badge it and maybe clear lenses front and rear (if can find another car which matches) would change age of car. Little bit of wheel tuck and fill those arches.

The front indicators are the same as an MB: you can unscrew the lens and take out the orange insert. Paint the globes orange and you have instant clear (white) indicators. Rodeo crystal indicators are also suitable if you really want to go modern. Headlights can be be replaced with crystal H4 type.

The biggest issue with fitting different wheels is that the studs are only 10mm (again, just like a MightyBoy), which means you need custom wheel nuts to fit them or they won't centre properly and you get vibrations. I imported a ton of nuts a while ago, might still have a set if you're interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:20 pm 

mr.beaker wrote:

If you don't mind going 15" wheels a lot of the old 4 stud jap cars (silvia, 180) have near on perfect offsets for the MK1. So opens up the second hand market a lot. I was going to run 16x7 fronts and 16x8 rears from a s13. They fitted fine all round. The rears sat just in from the guard and the fronts poked out by about 10mm. Nothing some heat and a hammer couldn't fix.

Had a read of your build. I love your aero wheels they look awesome. I will stick with trying to find some 13's somewhere. I will stay within legalities for NSW and it dont leave to much choice if want to stay within those guide lines.
Oh im only 5"3' so I got no probs with any small car. My other project is a daihatsu mira.

FlyingGrape wrote:
Hey there. Great little cheap project car! Could have some real fun with colour and styling. You could say go away from "two tone" black and brown look to full brown and colour code everything (or other direction and pimping two tone with gold instead of black :lol: )? As you said some old school rims would be good. Could even look at 14's but tyre choice isn't that great.

If it were mine I would give my wife the shits by stripping the paint and do the rusty look for giggles :lol:

I'm gonna keep the old black and brown original paint style to keep with the age of the car. I don't want to try to make it a newer style I wanna keep the older style about it. As for the rusty look sounds fun but I couldn't do it to a car I actually want to keep.

[YLD80Y] wrote:
mr.beaker wrote:

I'm the same height and fitting into an MB is no problem at all. There is more cabin length than you think! ;)

FlyingGrape wrote:

The front indicators are the same as an MB: you can unscrew the lens and take out the orange insert. Paint the globes orange and you have instant clear (white) indicators. Rodeo crystal indicators are also suitable if you really want to go modern. Headlights can be be replaced with crystal H4 type.

The biggest issue with fitting different wheels is that the studs are only 10mm (again, just like a MightyBoy), which means you need custom wheel nuts to fit them or they won't centre properly and you get vibrations. I imported a ton of nuts a while ago, might still have a set if you're interested.

After reading that I may make the change on the front indicators and have them clear.
Im definately interested in those wheel nuts if you have a set. Pm me how much etc and I will we work it out. I will be away for the weekend so I may take a bit to get back to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm 

Dude, just be aware if you lower the front and leave the rear your handling will be shite. FWD cars handle best a little lower at the rear. However, if you're just after looks then go for it.

I have a Mk1 GTi but before that I had an ML Barina with adjustable Konis all round. I put the Konis on the GTi when I got it - it's a straight swap. I then bought King lows all round to go with the Konis but they turned it into an understeery bumpy pig - standard springs were better. Got King standard heights at the front and things were hugely different - much better balanced. That's what I've still got today - Kings standard height at the front, lows at the back. It just looks flat.

Next biggest change for handling was a front swaybar. BIG difference.

Wheels? Standard black steel Excel rims could look pretty cool and will let you fit 185-60 13s - a relatively common size that will let you choose some decent tyres. Genuinely small tyre sizes are pretty limited these days!! But as YLD80Y points out, nuts are a problem cos the studs are skinny. Standard nuts will hold the Excel wheels on without problem but probably best not to do this in the longer term.

Good luck with your project whatever you choose - it's nice to see one of the first Swifts being kept alive =D>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm 

Hi! Funny little SA310 you have there. If you want some idea's or inspiration for your car, here's the build thread of my SA413: http://redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=51135

I've also lowered front and rear and it needs to be lowered more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am 

Great Name. :lol:
I had a mightyboy as my first car, it was six months old when I got it. My father and brother are both that tall, and it was funny as hell to watch my brother fold himself up and get in behind the seats when there were three of us in it. The sunroof helped with a little extra head height too.

If I hadn't enjoyed the mightyboy as much as I did I'd have gone for a MK1 swift back then myself.
Don't rule one out I guess is what I'm saying.

Look forward to seeing what you do with Poop, Suzuki's are a fun family of cars. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:06 am 

Hmm.. tall people fit into mightyboys huh? Awesome! Im looking for a project for me and the old man to do together and needs to be smallish. Was thinking a motorbike but a mightyboy is much betterer!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:37 pm 

Well I dont really have much to report in the way of progress.
This is what I have done.
Priced a cam and +10 cam sprocket.
Priced some paint and decided it will be original colour.
Just waiting on finances to catch up lol.

Got a set of hyundai excel stockies for a huge cost of $15 and will probably get a set of dress rims.
^^ That is a great simple idea and then I dont have to worry about other wheels.

On the other hand I have a daihatsu mira that I am no longer using the wheels front knckles hubs or back brakes etc. I have a nice set of wheels that fit these the only thing is that they are
4x110. Which isnt an issue but do I really want to put 4x110 on the swift????

I have all the parts here already and they could go to good use but???

Im not sure. I will have to keep working on the Mira in the mean time and get my other conversion done first. Then I can look properly and make a really good decision about what I should do.

Anyway not any real progress just more price checks and R&D ideas and still enjoying the driving the swift.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:13 pm 

Been in contact with the guy for the cams. he has no stock cams to regrind for me so I will stay stock engine and work on other things for now.

I pulled off the front wheel etc to have a look at what I would need to for the mira wheels to go on. Well after having a good look the mira brake pads are smaller so to do it I would need to change the hub with brakes and use the mira shocks with swift strut tops and hope that the splines for the cv are the same. Then I would have to see what I can do about the back hubs, brakes etc...

I took out a front shock to have a look at comparisons between the mira and swift.

I made a discovery and went for it and I am happy with the result so far.
The swift struts had these really big spacers on top of the springs and there was quite a drop in height I could gain by replacing these with daihatsu mira tops for the springs.

You will see from the pics that the picture with the red jack in it is the normal ride height of poop and the in the other one you will see the height I have dropped just by removing these spring/strut tops and putting much flatter ones in.
I know the back is still at stock height but I will get to this in future.
After taking for a test drive its actually not as bad as I thought it may be. The front is softer yes but with the hyundai still shocks in the back it tends to make the ride not as bumpy as before. I also tested how it handles in corners and it still sticks quite well. It does feel like it squashes in the front a little more lean and it still handles better than I expected. Well that's with taking a normal intersection corner pretty hard.
Oh I will be going with the hyundai wheels and dress rims. I will have to hunt down some wheels nuts from somewhere I spose. Not in a hurry as I have plenty of tread on the 12's atm might as well use that first.
Anwyay here's the pics.
Sorry about pic quality.

Attachments:
File comment: swift spring strut top
Photo0682.jpg
Photo0682.jpg [ 495.93 KiB | Viewed 262 times ]
File comment: lower in front
Photo0681.jpg
Photo0681.jpg [ 574.73 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]
File comment: The jack is there but has not been raised.
Photo0678.jpg
Photo0678.jpg [ 741.54 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:49 pm 

I went to a local swap meet on the weekend and picked up some cheap bargains. I usually go to swap meets and come home empty handed, but this time I got a 32/36 weber and a pair of narrow saas Bucket seats.
I have tried the seats already as the seats in poop are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever had in a car. Unfortunately after bolting up the rails to the seats they are too narrow to fit the bolt holes.
I will just have to make some brackets to fit them im.
As for the weber I will eventually give that a go too. I got rego next month so after all that I will start with a bit more modifying and improving.
Here is some pics and you will see the boss gave his paw of approval too.

Attachments:
File comment: I did have a better pic of seats but it wont resize :(
P1015762 (Large).JPG
P1015762 (Large).JPG [ 324.21 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]
P1015761 (Large).JPG
P1015761 (Large).JPG [ 416.25 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]

Post subject: rego time
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 pm 

Had to get the car ready for reg yesterday so I put my inner cv boot on, drained my driver side headlight of water. Its a sealed beam and has a small hole and I am not replacing it till it blows. Fixed my back seat as it never really lined up properly being that it never came out with back seats. I left my upgraded rear shocks in and the mod to lower the front.
Poop went in for rego first thing this morning and passed with only a mention of a dull high beam on the headlight without the hole. hmmmm didnt understand that one.
Anyway now to start the head gaskets on my forester and then get back to more swift upgrade's and mods.
Wish I didnt have to do the forester but got to have the family bus running.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:29 pm 

Love those seats, very period. I have a SA310 i have been wrecking here that has a few parts left on it. Let me know if your looking for anything before I scrap it. Congrats on the rego. I'd recommend definitely trying to get some h4 replacements into it rather than another sealed beam.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:37 am 

I had a weber on the mighty boy after the original carbie warped (long story); we found the adapter kit for the nissan 200b worked straight up without any further mods required. Still had to play around with the linkage for the throttle though but from memory we had the whole mod sorted in a day. (I'll have to check with my sister in laws brother exactly which one it was though, it was the same as on his car.) The only thing I didn't get sorted was having the jets re-sized, it wasn't burning all the fuel and in 1989 no-one was willing to believe the carbie would work on the car. (not even when I drove it to the carburettor specialists in Penrith with it installed. :shock: :? :x ) Came off the road again not long after and I never got it back on again. :cry:

P.M. if you want any extra info. :wink:

Edit; it was a 180 weber, adaptor plate for the Nissan 180 or 200b. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 pm 

Thanks for that awesome info Dave. I will pm when I get to it. Its not priority atm.

I did a little on the car today seeing as though I did finally finished the heads and timing belt etc on my forester.
There have been a few things that have been annoying me
I just took care af a few little annoying things that have been shitting me when I drive the car.
1. AM radio sucks dogs arse and I could no longer listen to stupid annoying people whine about chooks and crap.
2. Took poop up the gold coast the other week and it was squealing its head off on the front driverside wheel. That stop brake squeal didn't work for long at all.
3. No cig lighter means I cant use navigator or recharge phones etc.
4. No cup holder's and sick of my water bottles finding their way under the clutch an my feet.

So here is what I did.
1.(this wasnt today but added it in for the update) I took front wheel and brake off and found that inside brake spring thing had come off. Put it back in place hit it down with screwdriver and hammer (gently) and no more squeak. :)

2. I dont want to put a head deck and speaker's in poop I want to try to keep everything as original as possible. So This was the plan:
I Got some MDF.
I got some cup holder'd I had from a g203 charade I once had (these are awesome cup holders).
Got a cig lighter usb adapter.
Got some usb speaker's
We have an Ipod at home that doesn't get used.
And had some random usb cables etc connecters etc.
Total cost:$23.00

I put all this together and basically its a board the is bolted to the 2 front bolt where the heater is. about 3/4 down is the cup holder's that have been fixed in place on the back part of the cup holder's (behind the board) is 2 usb speaker's screwed to the cup holder. above that is a hole for the earphone jack to go through for the ipod and above that is the usb plug for charging the ipod or navagator etc.
It doesn't look flash at all but works. I first tried just using poop's only speaker and no good. can hear it at 60k's but thats about it, so the USB speakers just have that bit more.
I had t run a separate usb power cord for the speakers.
I did make a boo boo and fried my $10 usb kmart special speakers with the usb connector, but I had a pair of gigabyte ones also so I used them. They are quieter than the kmart special but do the job.
I may pretty it up later and maybe put an ipod holder on too, but for now NO MORE CRAPPY RADIO OR GALLIVANTING WATER BOTTLES!

Oh I also put in a blue and a White led in the instrument cluster as I could only find one of each lol.
Best thing too is it can com out with a phillips head screw driver and would take about 3 mins.
Will take a pic another day.
Also I think the front springs are just too soft the way they are so Im thinking I will buy some lowered springs. I will buy a Malaysian set for my mira so I can use the back ones for that and the front ones on poop. Kill 2 birds with the one stone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:20 pm 

Ok Here is a pic of the crappy mdf board with cup holder's, speaker's usb port. Now b4 anyone bags me out for it looking crap well derr!! I know it looks crap. It just needed to work and it does for now. I will get to something else later.
I also got one of the seats in and took for a run! Finally my back has a bit of cushioning rather than feeling like Im sitting on concrete. Just got to get some more steel tube then I can put the other one in. Until then the Mrs will still need her cushion.

Attachments:
poop cup holder's.JPG
poop cup holder's.JPG [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 253 times ]
poop seat 2.JPG
poop seat 2.JPG [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 236 times ]
poop seat 1.JPG
poop seat 1.JPG [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 242 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 am 

Do like those seats! Good stuff.