It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back in the game! My Mk3...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 pm 

Well i finally got that brace sorted and fitted up and sitting nicely despite my 2yo son making off with one of the nuts that hold it in place :!: Thankfully a mate has more spare nuts and bolts from parting out lots of different cars and he had one that fit up perfectly. =D>

So with that all done, here is an Iphone pick. You can see the black "Tekkie Spec" under body brace in front of the shiny silver 27mm Whiteline sway bar.

Attachment:
Front Bracing.JPG

I took her for a short run down the street to test the brakes, short shifter and overall feel of the car and mostly its great! :D The shifter is short, but not stupidly so, the brakes work a treat and there's only one major vibration in it from what seems to be the muffler rubbing on the rear sway bar slightly at idle.

So I'm at the stage now where there's not a lot left that I can do. BUt the list looks like this:

:arrow: Fit sard and Mk1 Fuel rail
:arrow: Fix head gasket (Will pass this to my mechanic)
:arrow: Fit adjustable cam gears (My mechanic can sort these when the head is off)
:arrow: Fit Camber pins and Castor Adjustment Bushes and have the wheels aligned (Pedders)
:arrow: Replace window rubbers - currently my windows go out of alignment when going up :?
:arrow: A good clean and tidy up and she'll look a treat :)
:arrow: Oh and some rego :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 pm 

Looking good Dave! Thought I'd jump on and see your projects progress! Makes me itch to fix mine again!

1990 Mk2 GTi - Intercooled, Turbo'ed, LSD, BD10's - Engineered.
1985 Sierra Flat Tray - Gti Powered, Lux Diffed, - Engineered.
1978 LJ80 - Bar Treads, Rag Top - Next Project.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 pm 

Cheers mate its close! Got a little work to do but not much left. Hopefully we can get both our GTi's to a track sometime! Keep me posted on your too! Gotta get that Sierra with my mk1's engine sorted first ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
Cheers mate its close! Got a little work to do but not much left. Hopefully we can get both our GTi's to a track sometime! Keep me posted on your too! Gotta get that Sierra with my mk1's engine sorted first ;)

Yeah for sure! I've just read zuboo's phase 3 build. Very cool. If all goes to plan, It's meant to be having the lane change test next saturday. If so, and it passes, It's a mod plate, and away we go!

Then I've only got little things to do to it, then I can pull the swift down and fix the following:

Engine.
Intercooler Bracket - snapped when I crashed it 2+ years ago.
Exhaust Mount - Rear muffler broken, it's sitting on the rear control arm, however I'm gonna build a new pipe for it.
Re-align Doors - put new hinges in, in a rush, and they aren't really aligned too good.
Pull front struts out - work out why the drivers side is sagging 15mm (already has koni inserts fitted to it, but I did notice years ago they had started to leak...)
Replace some coolant hoses that have swollen up.
And if I can find some, I'd love to fit power steering to it!

Not much of a list!

Cheers, Superduki.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:37 am 

SoUnds like a great plan! Hopefully getting a look on here again has inspired you a bit :) if not i'll have to come down south for a run at baskerville to get your heart started ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:55 pm 

Is sure amazing what a set of plugs can do! When i bought the car it had a slight miss at idle, a hesitation, so i thought i'd switch out the old plugs and try a set of ngk bkr6ek's' as recommended on a thread in the technical section. Now there's no miss and she purrs like a kitten :) well okay like a lumpy 4 pot with a big exhaust but hey i love it :D

Get to drive her in the morning too :D just to pedders and back (6km on a day pass) which is exciting. She'll get the camber pins and castor bushes fitted and have them properly setup and all 4 wheels aligned :)

Oh and i bought a rear strut brace (whitleine) off of ebay yesterday too which is great :) waiting by the mail box for that one :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 pm 

Still won't be much fun with the head gasket the way it is though. I literally replaced the plugs just before I left, were they wrong?

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:34 pm 

Yeah its not great to drive with the head gasket but its nice to steer now :p the plugs you put in where okay for the car but totally fouled up now. So i swapped them out for a different set that was recommended on here. It made a difference but driving is still rough. I'm only babying her though. Still next week the head gets fixed and i'll have it tuned after i get rego to make use if the new cam gears i've got too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:01 pm 

Wow, bloody hell. I literally replace them about 3 hours before I left. Haha. Oh well, good to see you're making so much progress! Can't wait to see my old beast out and about :twisted:

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm 

Squirt wrote:
Wow, bloody hell. I literally replace them about 3 hours before I left. Haha. Oh well, good to see you're making so much progress! Can't wait to see my old beast out and about :twisted:

Yeah i'd say the blown gasket has something to do with it. But that's all good i usually replace the plugs every 6 months anyway :) she'll be in the road for my run home tonight then back again Monday for the run to the mechanic, one last time (hopefully) for the rego check as soon as the head is done :D keep an eye our for pics late tonight when i hopefully fit up my sard and fuel rail :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 pm 

Well with the help of a mate i managed to get the sard and fuel rail fitted up only to find once we'd put it all back together that the number 1 injector was leaking, most likely the o ring didn't line up properly but unfortunately it'll mean pulling out the rail again to fix it. :(

I'll get some pics up in the next day or so. Probably once its all sorted.

Also now back from Pedders the suspension is all lined up and i've got 1.45 degrees negative camber at the front thanks to the Whiteline camber pins. So hopefully that'll be a nice street/track compromise. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 pm 

Okay so I got the little O-ring sorted for the fuel injectors today, thanks to a universal O-Ring set from Autobarn, got the FPR running a treat and the car seems to have really responded to the extra fuel, its more responsive in the throttle (not that I drove it more than 3m) and idles nicer as well. I have it set about 42psi at warm idle for the minute and will adjust it once its back from the mechanic having had the cam gears fitted and head gasket sorted. (hopefully tomorrow night if all goes smoothly)

Here's a couple of pics. Firstly the car sitting at Pedders before the camber pin & Castor Bush install and wheel alignment. Then the Sard all fitted and pressurised and finally a little pic of the engine bay for those who haven't read through Squirt's old build thread or who have read his thread and wonder what the differences look like :wink:

Attachment:
At Pedders.JPG
At Pedders.JPG [ 137.02 KiB | Viewed 3054 times ]

Attachment:
Sard Fitted.JPG
Sard Fitted.JPG [ 114.97 KiB | Viewed 3051 times ]

Attachment:
Engine Bay.JPG
Engine Bay.JPG [ 123.81 KiB | Viewed 3045 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:05 am 

That shows pressure at 44? I wouldnt have mounted the reg on the motor, but thats just me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 am 

That's true, it is at 44. Ah well i'll wind her back a little when i get her back from the mechanic :oops:

The reg' is mounted on the end of the intake manifold which seemed like a good place to me. Why would you not have put it there?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 am 

Vibration could automatically self adjust it for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm 

Fair enough. I'd say the sard should be up for the job. But its easily moved if there are any issues. I'm thinking with the great poly bushes she has and the engine steady it should be okay :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm 

I mounted my RR FPR on the end of the engine steady bracket from the suzitech brace Dave, That way it is permanently mounted.

Im my old Sierra with a G13BB Supercharged setup, the SARD reg was mounted off the intake manifold, and I drove it to QLD and back to TAS without any hassles. Yours should be fine :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm 

superduki wrote:
I mounted my RR FPR on the end of the engine steady bracket from the suzitech brace Dave, That way it is permanently mounted.

Im my old Sierra with a G13BB Supercharged setup, the SARD reg was mounted off the intake manifold, and I drove it to QLD and back to TAS without any hassles. Yours should be fine :)

Thanks mate I'm figuring so. Its got poly engine mounts and and engine steady so I figure its not going to shake that much when compared with most swifts 8) The whole car at idle on the other hand... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
superduki wrote:

Thanks mate I'm figuring so. Its got poly engine mounts and and engine steady so I figure its not going to shake that much when compared with most swifts 8) The whole car at idle on the other hand... :wink:

Yeah I absolutely HATE the vibration mine has in the car at idle at the lights with cams in it. One day when I can be bothered I'll swap them to rubber ones. Mine still axle tramps like crazy, so the whole 4th mount thing is a bit of a myth in my eyes!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 pm 

superduki wrote:
Yeah I absolutely HATE the vibration mine has in the car at idle at the lights with cams in it. One day when I can be bothered I'll swap them to rubber ones. Mine still axle tramps like crazy, so the whole 4th mount thing is a bit of a myth in my eyes!

I'm hoping my underbody brace will help with the axle tramping, though I think being N/A that should be less of an issue. I would have loved the extra mount on my old mk1! Seeing that engine rock was unreal! Though the other mounts were all pretty shagged. :P

We'll have to see what sort of power she puts out when I get it on a dyno to get the cams dialled in and the fuel pressure correct, I'm hoping it'll be enough to at least scare your car at the drags :twisted: (if they ever get them going again!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next