It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back in the game! My Mk3...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:56 pm 

Do the lines have a steel sleeve where it connects to the fitting or only rubber? If rubber the are not comPliants to the latest Australian standard.

Tbh, the fronts look okay, but the rear are still sub par. If they cannot make the correct line with the photos you gave them, I will not be going near them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:15 pm 

They are steel sleeves each end and stamped ADR approved. The rears don't show the sleeves as they are teflon coated all the way to the ends whereas tge fronts are only coated the the sleeving. Not sure why, that's just how they came :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:14 pm 

Photos of that front sway at up yet? (not sure if I didn't attach something to them. Been finding a bunch of random parts all over my lawn for the last week. I think someone is arming the neighbourhood possums with spanners)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 pm 

Nothng as yet i'm afraid :( i've been a bit busy/slack but also don't have the bolts for the d-link brackets so i'll be chasing some up locally hopefully friday :) then i can get into it on the weekend and get the front end sorted. Thinking i'll do a bit tonight too, but not sure how much i'll get sorted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:31 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
Nothng as yet i'm afraid :( i've been a bit busy/slack but also don't have the bolts for the d-link brackets so i'll be chasing some up locally hopefully friday :) then i can get into it on the weekend and get the front end sorted. Thinking i'll do a bit tonight too, but not sure how much i'll get sorted.

the bolts for the d-link brackets? the U-shaped sway bar mounts i sent? because im certain i threw in the screw/bolts for them.

Should be x4 Bolts, (2 per bracket)
x2 sway bar bracket's
x2 sway bar linkages. (with some pretty worn out rubbers.)

atleast, that's what i threw in the mail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 pm 

Fyrestorm wrote:
the bolts for the d-link brackets? the U-shaped sway bar mounts i sent? because im certain i threw in the screw/bolts for them.

Should be x4 Bolts, (2 per bracket)
x2 sway bar bracket's
x2 sway bar linkages. (with some pretty worn out rubbers.)

atleast, that's what i threw in the mail.

Unfortunately I got the sway ar linkages and the brakets but not the bolts for the brackets (just checked again to be sure). It's all good. i needed an excuse to get under another swift and see where everything mounted up anyway as I can't seem to work it all out at the minute #-o
Plus I need to get a bolt for the drivers seat as its missing one that holds the seat rail to the chassis :!:

With the project not much done tonight checked all the brake lines for leaks as I have no pedal at all right now. So it's off to repco or somewhere to get a one man bleeder kit and get them bled and sorted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm 

hmm, bugger.

squirts fault. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:38 am 

Its all good :) projects never go 100% to plan :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 pm 

It's always my fault :lol:

Looks good Dave, keep up the good progress.

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:16 pm 

Cheers mate :) i was hoping to be a lot further through it but its not far away. I should get tge brakes bled tonight and hopefully sort the sway bays and underbody brace on the weekend. Then i'll just have to fit up the sard and fuel rail, then fix the head and fit the cam gears and ir'll be ready to go for rego :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:55 pm 

I've been in bed sick most of the weekend but managed to get the brakes bled thanks to a little help from this...

Attachment:
Little Helper 1.JPG
Little Helper 1.JPG [ 94.04 KiB | Viewed 3531 times ]

Oh and a shout out to my wife and 5 year old who also worked the brake pedal at times :P

Got a nice firm pedal now. Just need to get better so I can get something more done and get this project rolling again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 pm 

Well I recovered enough to do a little work tonight. Managed to find a bolt that matched the missing one from the drivers seat rail and fit it up which was a nice win as I have nearly no bolts just laying around for this type of thing :)

The other bit was a bit more "subtantial" I managed to get in and fit up the 20mm rear sway bar from whiteline. Thankfully it was a nice easy install and despite being a tight fit on the rear of the muffler (5-10mm clearance) it went in nicely 8)

Now I couldn't get a good undercar pic of the bar installed as the distance between the height of the car and the floor was too close for my Iphone but here's a pic of the D-Link bushes that gives a good idea of the difference in size.

Attachment:
18mm to 20mm rear sway bar.JPG
18mm to 20mm rear sway bar.JPG [ 79.38 KiB | Viewed 3472 times ]

A nice little find while I was in there was that all the bushes where nearly new urethane ones (whiteline no less) so I left them in and will hang on to the spares I now have.

Hopefully tomorrow I can sort out where the D-Link brackets mount up at the front of the car and can get that fitted up along with my "Tekkie" Spec underbody brace over the weekend. I'll hit up a wrecker for a look under a Cino to see how it all works and pinch the bolts that hold them in 8)

Then its onto the more technical stuff. I'll get my local pedders to fit up my camber pins and castor adjustment bushes and get things aligned properly. Then it'll be fitting up my Sard and fuel rail, then the Cam gears and finally get the head gasket sorted and then I can think about Rego and driving/Racing the old girl :twisted: Not that I haven't been already :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 pm 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
I'll hit up a wrecker for a look under a Cino to see how it all works and pinch the bolts that hold them in 8)

take a 12mm with you. and a 10mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 am 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
The other bit was a bit more "subtantial" I managed to get in and fit up the 20mm rear sway bar from whiteline. Thankfully it was a nice easy install and despite being a tight fit on the rear of the muffler (5-10mm clearance) it went in nicely

Be prepared for the rear mounts to crack the floor pan with the 20mm rear bar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:04 am 

Cheers Fyrestorm i will :)

The 20mm will crack the floor? I've never heard of them doing that before!!! Ah well the floor pan looked good (no surface rust) when i was under it so here's hoping its not going to happen any time soon

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:24 am 

Yeh it's pretty common, almost certainly will happen over time. Just keep an eye on it and weld it up if it happens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:58 am 

Yep mine cracked! Made up plates to share the load a little more and drilled the mounts right through to the boot.

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 am 

250,000kms + with 20mm bar including track time and no cracking.
A crack in sheet metal needs to be dealt with properly, drill hioles at each end of the crack and then weld up the crack the holes relieve stress and prevent further cracking even after welding.

GTP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:17 pm 

gtpswift wrote:
250,000kms + with 20mm bar including track time and no cracking.
A crack in sheet metal needs to be dealt with properly, drill hioles at each end of the crack and then weld up the crack the holes relieve stress and prevent further cracking even after welding.

GTP

Here's hoping mine follows suit :wink:

On a build note I managed to pinch the bolts of a Cino in disguise (Barina) at a wrecker today and found out why I couldn't work out how the mounts worked! I didn't realise they were at the rear of the control arms I was looking at the front #-o =D> So i'm all go for the weekend getting the last of the braces sorted :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:55 pm 

A little bit of progress yesterday. Its amazing what 4 little bolts can do...

Attachment:
4 little bolts.JPG
4 little bolts.JPG [ 53.97 KiB | Viewed 3332 times ]

These bolts meant I could fit up this! :D

Attachment:
27mm ready to rock.JPG
27mm ready to rock.JPG [ 93.51 KiB | Viewed 3337 times ]

Again with limited room under the car I couldn't get a shot of the 27mm Whiteline bar fitted but needless to say it looks a treat under there. :)

I also half fitted this...

Attachment:
Underbody brace.JPG
Underbody brace.JPG [ 130.95 KiB | Viewed 3345 times ]

("Tekkie Spec")
However after some bashing and crashing I realised something was a miss so a quick PM to Waylow and turns out I need to remove the control arms to fit this #-o Ah well. Another day. Tonight is too cold! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next