It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Squirt's Tale of the Gti's
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 pm 

Okay, so this is my build thread.

December 2010: Casually looking on CarSales, sorting through the hordes of excels and other assorted shitboxes that the website thought were relevant to me seeing as i clicked 5000 or less, i came upon a pearl in the shape of a little white swift gti.. intrigued, i was reading the description and upon consultation with my brother, we decided to go and see it.. as luck would have it, it was a matter of a 90 second drive from my house to where it was located. So we proceeded to this guy's house, and spotted the beast. I loved it, it was neat as anything, paint immaculately shimmering in the sunlight. i took it for a drive, and immediately stalled it. im thinking, what the f**k is with this clutch? then i remembered back to the ad, it had a heavy duty item from *cough* suzitech *cough*. so i grimaced and tried my best to combat the considerable force coming from the left pedal (you gotta remember i'm a tiny dude) and carried on down the road.. it was firm, very firm, everything rattled, my neck was sore afterwards, but i didn't care.. i was in love.. i gave it a bootful and it immediately spun the wheels (tyres were bald as a badger's badger, torque steering like a b*tch. i thought, yep that's the first thing i'll be fixing.. the second was the unbearable drone in my ears caused by a massive exhaust leak.. so we went home, and i had a think about what a wanted to do.. in the end, of course, i decided to buy it. it was decided. i sorted out a big roll of the folding stuff, and went to pick up my new baby car a few days after.

Big mistake.

after a few days of driving, i started to notice all the little things that make a used car that, a USED car.. every concievable engine mount was that far gone that every time you let the clutch out it clunks badly, the fuel pump was stuffed, and it took a good 30-30 seconds of priming and cranking to get it going.. i still loved it to bits, but it was all coming undone.. my hard earned was gone, and i had issues, big issues to fix, and i have no tools, no space, and next to no knowledge or experience. so i started making a mental list of issues, and consulted everyone at work numerous times on what various solutions could be.. bottom line was, after getting new tyres and fixing the exhaust and generally trying to spoil the new baby rotten, i was broke. so now i had no money, no ability to fix it, and in general no idea how i was going to make this car live past a few months. speaking of a few months, 2 months after i bought it, suzitech made me proud when their so-called "heavy-duty gearbox" packed it in. the locating pin for the pinion in the final drive had snapped, and the pinion had slid out from where it should have been, and spinning unrestrained had eaten a hole in the bellhousing. oil everywhere. the next day, i had no choice but to nurse it to work, and hope i hadn't done too much damage already. well, guess what, i had. there was metallic soup at the bottom, and there was pretty much no oil left. it was new gearbox time. southy came to my rescue (thanks mate!), with a spare gearbox he had sitting in glad wrap in his shed. i drove my mate's car up that night after work to pick it up, and after a week of sitting in the workshop at work, i went in on the saturday to watch as the mechanics from work (who i had to hire) replaced my gearbox. it was a very interesting and great learning curve and a big thankyou to them for doing it. so i finally had my car back, after a traumatising week (felt like a year) on buses. *shudders* that gearbox has proven to be very willing, it is still alive today, even thought i have given it hell.. so the other issues you might be wondering? yep, they're still there, and i'm still flat broke. why? you must be wondering.. one word. REGO. i got raped. still in debt to my mum (thankyou to her too), bloody sh*t kicker wages.. so a few months passed, driving on these engine mounts that were nearly letting the engine free spin in the engine bay.. the fuel pump was plain and simply embarrassing as i would park in public and spend what felt like an eternity cranking and spluttering and coughing as i willed the car to live. friends would not let me park near where people would walk past for sheer embarrassment.

the first accident happened on the way to training one wednesday night, i went a little too fast through a tight roundabout, had one hand on the wheel, and couldn't hold on. the wheel reefed out of my hand, and i bounced straight up the kerb. my alloy wheel was severely dented, and i had bent numerous suspension components. i replaced the steering rack end and LR wheel bearing (nothing to do with the accident but was hindering the alignment process) had a wheel alignment done. it still pulls slightly left.

i thought, alright.. that's my lesson learned. how wrong i was..

One night, after a particularly frustrating day at work, i decided to do the one thing that kept me sane. i went for a drive. i had only intended to drive for maybe 20 mins around town, just to cool off. so much for that, i ended up driving from my house in woy woy to gosford, where i decided to head to somersby, and then i decided to run down the old pacific highway. 9.00pm, i am driving down the old pacific highway, and letting go of all the anger i had stored from the past few hours. i get to the first intersection to choose to get back on the freeway, and decide to head straight back up the old pac home again. damnit. i should've taken the freeway. you see, i'm driving along, loving the sound of the G13B at 6000 rpm in 3rd, shift to 4th, look down at my speedo, it reads (i think) about 85-90 km/h. the second i look back up i spot a kangaroo standing on the centre lines looking dumbfounded as i hurtled toward it. i spotted him too late. i panicked, stomped on the brakes too hard, locked up and slid straight into him as he jumped right into my front bar. i got out, and he was dead alright.. i looked back, in disbelief as my pristine resprayed white and gold pearl front bar was shattered across the highway. i picked up a few of the larger pieces, threw them in the car, dragged the roo off the road, and took off home. i hit about 60 and there is this massive vibration, i couldnt figure out what it was.. got out numerous times to check but couldn't find anything. so i drove home, went to bed still devastated, and drove to work the next day. i haven't stopped hearing about the 'skippy incident' since. they don't believe it was a kangaroo :lol:

the third accident was not as severe, at a party one night i took a mate for a spin and overestimated a corner and slid into a ditch on a slippery bend. all it did was unclip the front bar on the left hand side, but that was cool, i still had to replace it from the skippy incident. had to get towed out though, a top bloke drove past in his white vl commodore (this was in holgate) and said he would bring his van back. 5 minutes later he rolled up, strapped the cars together and i was out in a flash. thankyou so much to whoever you are, i hope good karma comes your way, if i had had any money at all that night i would have given it to you, you saved me alot of hassle.

anyway, back on track.. browsing on redline as i would usually do after a day at work, i cam across a FS post with a white gti in it. as i always did, i opened it up and had a read. i closed it, and thought nothing more of it. curiosity got the better of me though, and 20 mins later i went back and read it over once more. i took into consideration the list of mods, and the condition the car was in, and pm'ed the owner, with no real intention of buying, just a ballpark figure and hoping, just hoping that it would end up being an achievable price. well, i overestimated a bit and it ended up being the right price. i went to see it the next day, thought long and hard that night and had to make a snap decision the next morning, as there were other people interested..
so i begged and pleaded with my mum (love ya mum) to loan me some more money, :roll: i pulled some strings at work and was able to sort out a cheap transport price (it's not what you know, it's who you know) to have it brought home. so it was settled, and the next weekend, my new twin was delivered to my doorstep. it was simultaneously the solution to all the current problems (front bar, engine mounts, fuel pump, cv's - they were now clicking, just to name a few) as well as my dreams related to my boy racer tendencies.

so, the project. i would be keeping my shell, as it is pretty straight and with no rust, and the new 'spare' gti would be the donor car. with a rebuilt motor with cams, better suspension, brakes, wheels, and heaps of other goodies it was a no brainer, everything was coming off. so since then, i have been learning as i go, just trying things out and breaking things, but it's an awesome learning curve. since i picked it up, i have fixed the front bar, swapped the wheels, swapped the fuel pump, steering wheel and cluster (wog spec blue lights).

not wanting to get too deep in and end up with two dismantle cars i concentrated on one. I decided to pull as much as i could off the spare to learn how everything works. so far i have removed the cross drilled and slotted rotors and pads, to replace my standard items. i have removed seats, and most lower interior pieces to get the new carpet out for my car. i started removing the exhaust, and the shifter came out because i loved the knob on it and i couldnt get it off.. :lol: so i decided to switch the entire shaft, i have a feeling it is a short shifter as well, so i'll have to compare it. rear bumper and lights are off, and i will slowly part out the whole car.

today i got motivated to hear the thing run, so i took the ECU out of my car and put it in the other one, reconnected the fuel pump and put fuel in it. it splutters and coughs but it runs none the less. and f**k is it loud, although that might have something to do with the fact that it's got no exhaust on it. straight from the extractors :twisted: sounds like a friggin harley.. :lol:

so soon to come will be the brakes onto my car, carpet and dashboard, then later will be suspension and then eventually the engine and exhaust, etc. anyway, enough of me rambling, and sorry for my relative inexperience in general but im doing my best to learn as i go. here are some photos :D

Attachments:
File comment: what it first looked like..
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG [ 699.01 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]
File comment: the hole, you can't see it very well but it has gone right through the bellhousing.
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG [ 616.48 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]
File comment: anyone fancy some soup?
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG [ 550.88 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
File comment: smashed bearing..
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG [ 574.76 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
File comment: the stupid pinion..
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG [ 787.08 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]
File comment: night cruise to patonga..
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG [ 572.27 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
File comment: the roundabout accident..
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG [ 757.16 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]
File comment: f**kin bouncing rats..
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG [ 620.87 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
File comment: the twins.. the left one is my original car.
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG [ 806.19 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]
File comment: twins again..
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG [ 635.98 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG [ 729.25 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]
File comment: the new front bar on my car..
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG [ 666.2 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
File comment: brakes off..
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1765.JPG [ 802.35 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

Last edited by Squirt on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Squirt's Tale of the Gti's
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:38 pm 

can you bring out an audio version? haha
Good write up man, you have a lot ahead of you!

The workshop manual is your friend 8)

WORLD TIME ATTACK CHALLENGE 2016 -Clubsprint -
http://www.worldtimeattack.com/

SRS Motorsports

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:50 pm 

psigti01 wrote:
can you bring out an audio version? haha
Good write up man, you have a lot ahead of you!

The workshop manual is your friend 8)

i thought i should do something to match our cruise thread writeup you did :lol:

im looking forward to it! yes, but don't you mean it's a bible? [-o< :lol:

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:15 pm 

brakes all ready and waiting for me to fit up! :twisted:

i know tom, i said :lol: i'd have it done by this weekend, but now i need new rear pads :evil:

the LHR caliper has leaked over time, and those pads are now useless. RHR had a big chunk out of them anyways.

Attachments:
File comment: brakes
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG [ 788.66 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:33 pm 

Hey Squirt - nice write-up mate!!! =D> =D> =D>

But please do take it easy in your driving mate, so you can enjoy your GTi for years to come, and not hurt yourself or your mum's bank balance!! [-X

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 am 

Capt_Gherkin wrote:
Hey Squirt - nice write-up mate!!! =D> =D> =D>

But please do take it easy in your driving mate, so you can enjoy your GTi for years to come, and not hurt yourself or your mum's bank balance!! [-X

Yes I've decided I've had 3 too many accidents now, and it's time to really start looking after it or it won't last me.

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:29 am 

Nice to see a well articulated thread from a youngun'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:53 pm 

pictureshowman wrote:
Nice to see a well articulated thread from a youngun'.

cheers, man.

ok so a little update. front rotors are on, and work very well.. yet to put rears on as i need to buy new rear pads. will bleed the brakes when i have finished. put the new carpet in and in doing so, managed to create a short circuit somewhere which means my tail fuse keeps blowing. so i'll have to rip all the carpet out over again..

i borrowed the rotary buff from work so i will buff my car in the morning, hopefully it will come up sensational. thats pretty much all, for now..

until next time

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:17 pm 

Nice writeup bro.
Take care of this one!

Gonz.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:25 pm 

Just buffed it, and wow it came up really really good.. Also put my new redline sticker on thanks to psigti01 (you're a nice dude, i don't care what they say about you). :lol:

Attachments:
P1010866 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010866 (3200x2400).jpg [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 191 times ]
P1010863 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010863 (3200x2400).jpg [ 3.67 MiB | Viewed 235 times ]
P1010864 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010864 (3200x2400).jpg [ 4.08 MiB | Viewed 319 times ]
P1010865 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010865 (3200x2400).jpg [ 4.06 MiB | Viewed 504 times ]

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 pm 

Looking good buddy, I wish mine was that tidy. Ah well...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:14 pm 

Gonz wrote:
Nice writeup bro.
Take care of this one!

Gonz.

Cheers mate, yeah I'm very fastidious about my car now.. cant wait to really get into this project :D

tom-storm wrote:
Looking good buddy, I wish mine was that tidy. Ah well...

Cheers mate! mine has 3 (2 big) dents in those photos though, they're just somewhat concealed.. :lol:

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:13 am 

love the write up squirt and car looks great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:49 pm 

good write up bro keep the updates coming 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 pm 

Cheers guys,

Fitted up the rear cross drilled and slotted rotors with brand new ferodo pads today :D gotta love getting trade price :twisted: bled the brakes, feels good. Still hving issues with my tail fuse though. Gonna strip most of the interior on the weekend and hopefully fix it.

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm 

nice write up, my first car was like your first gti, drove it, loved it, bought it, turned out to be a big mistake then fork out lots of $$$ and it still doesnt work, argh cars ay lol

looks like a nice lil project for ya anyways :)

1:10.34 @ QR street sprints
17.46 @ 129 km/h @ Willowbank
"giving swifts a better reputation..... on a mountain near you"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:37 pm 

speed freak wrote:
nice write up, my first car was like your first gti, drove it, loved it, bought it, turned out to be a big mistake then fork out lots of $$$ and it still doesnt work, argh cars ay lol

looks like a nice lil project for ya anyways :)

cars, man... don't know why, i just love them..

installed my fully sick intake today, looks hektik.

Attachments:
P1010873 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010873 (3200x2400).jpg [ 3.23 MiB | Viewed 187 times ]
P1010874 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010874 (3200x2400).jpg [ 3.24 MiB | Viewed 185 times ]
P1010875 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010875 (3200x2400).jpg [ 3.21 MiB | Viewed 169 times ]
P1010876 (3200x2400).jpg
P1010876 (3200x2400).jpg [ 3.31 MiB | Viewed 210 times ]

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:41 pm 

Looks good, but need to cut down the silicon joiner nearest you TB.. Also i got a set of extractors if you after some..

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:55 pm 

engine and intake looks good. same, i love cars even though they can be a pain sometimes, id be lost without them

1:10.34 @ QR street sprints
17.46 @ 129 km/h @ Willowbank
"giving swifts a better reputation..... on a mountain near you"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:11 pm 

southy wrote:
Looks good, but need to cut down the silicon joiner nearest you TB.. Also i got a set of extractors if you after some..

i intentionally left it that way as it came off a SR20TB. so i just flipped it to fit on my standard TB, until i get my new engine in, then ill flip it back round again. thanks mate but the spare engine already has a set of genie 4-2-1 extractors on it..

gotta get a new pod too, the one on there is compromised, had been rubbing on the top radiator support and has a little hole in it.. i was going to run my original pod but it's waaaay too big for the flange so i'll have to run with this one and buy a new one asap. also gotta get a shield or box for it because i really cant afford a defect atm.. any suggestions?

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.