It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Swift 1.6 GTi Turbo - a build with lots of pictures
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 pm 

I haven't updated this for a long time...
The boost is still 0,5 bar which is soon to be raised firstly to about 1 bar and later to about 1,2-1,5. The Bosch 044 pump is also on the way and there are still a lot of things to do.

Anyway, here is a recent timeslip from last weekend; the weight of the car was well above 1000 kgs and the street tires spun too much:

Attachment:
timeslip.jpg
timeslip.jpg [ 312.53 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

We are looking forward to seeing what the car can do with the final setup.

Last edited by Z GT-i on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm 

nice speed for the amount of weight!

I wonder if you guys will ever look at the Honda D16z6 crankshaft if the stocky is not good over 250hp? The thing is so many say the stock g16b crank will not make over 250hp so time will tell.

Love the collection of Swifts and your friends porting looks pretty impressive! The only thing is the g16b engine has 1mm larger inlets than the g13b and both the g16b and g13b engines have exhaust valves that are 1mm smaller than the famous Honda D16.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 pm 

Thank you very much for this kind reply d! :)

d wrote:
I wonder if you guys will ever look at the Honda D16z6 crankshaft if the stocky is not good over 250hp? The thing is so many say the stock g16b crank will not make over 250hp so time will tell.

To answer your question; no, he is not going to look at the Honda D16 crankshaft.
As you say, time will tell everything, let us hope that it will be able to make a bit over 250 hp with the stock G16B crank. We are also eager to see the numbers, so it will be dynoed as well when the final setup is ready. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 am 

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/797218/1995-suzuki-swift

Enough said 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:19 pm 

Wow! That's a monster! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjqXmYUR ... el&list=UL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:42 am 

Hopefully, the owner of the car won't get mad at me, for showing you this vid. I made it a few weeks ago, when we had a bit of a testride. Note that there was 4 person onboard, with two bigger ones among them, and some quite rubbish tires...
It is truly amazing, how easily it gains speed... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPJwMESH ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:32 pm 

DeTune wrote:

Enough said 8)

Ummm so cast crank can handle abuse with the right rods and tune.... thank you for the link

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:26 pm 

DeTune wrote:

Enough said 8)
Quoting nearly 100hp more than Daves drag Swift but no faster.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:47 pm 

If your running stock big end bearings they won't last long, if you want over 200hp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:31 pm 

That's interesting; we don't think so. :shock:
What do you suggest instead of the SGP bearings?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm 

I know tjmgti is talking from experence push beyond 200hp and see how well the spg bearings or any bearing for that matter last.
But in saying that i think it is more to do with harmonics that kill the bearings not the bearings themselves.
Hey who knows see how you go not pushing it hard yet so only time and more hp will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 pm 

I see.
Firstly, I have to mention here that I really appreciate all the replies that members write -even if they have a different point of view as that is also good to know- and also that we don't want to show other people how a project like this should be carried out everywhere in the world. Each and every notes, remarks, suggestions, questions are most welcome!
Unfortunately, as English is only my second language, and therefore it is very limited, I cannot always express myself properly; I have just written this down to clarify that I don't want to quarrell with anybody, if I seem to be hostile anytime when arguing that is just because I don't know better words to express myself. :)
The reason why SGP bearings were chosen:
the thing is that we wanted to use different brand bearings but found out that there were no bearings offered for the 1.6 in the ACL Race series and we did not think that the standard ACL ones would be good. We also have some very bad experiences with other brands (King or Mahle/Clevite) so we did not want to use their products. The SGP seemed to be the best choice.
One of our very important objectives was to ensure that the oil pressure is high enough all the time and it turned out that even in the case of hot oil the pressure is above 4 bars in the cylinder head at the exhaust camshaft. We hope that this pressure of at least 4 bars at the bearings will give them enough lubrication. The car will also get an oil cooler soon which is from a S1600 Ignis. A Mocal thermostatic sandwich adapter is also on the way with the custom-made pipes. We also wanted to use high quality oil so we chose the Motul 300V 20w60. We hope that these will all help us in saving the bearings from destruction. [-o< As you write, time will tell.

Unfortunately, I did not understand a word in your reply: 'harmonics'. What does that mean in this case? :oops: Is it referring to the vibration or something like that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:07 pm 

It looks great, but I can't help wonder with such a comprehensive engine rebuild, why you didn't replace the welch plugs in the block? They appear fairly rusty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 pm 

That's funny as I also asked him about that some months ago. :lol:
He said that it did not leak there so he did not want to bother it - he sacrificed the look for the faultless operation. He promises that it will be cleaned from rust and painted. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 am 

I feel bearings have never been the issue in quality japanese and german engines but as mentioned good clearancing, oil pressure, volume, cooling, extra chamfering of the oil holes with using 2 sets of bearings if need be in order to have the centre channel groove on both sides for extra oil. Most bearings are amazing at what they can withstand no matter the quality as long as the lubrication is sufficient as oil is the indestructible component that protects "expendable" soft bearings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 pm 

hi zgti when i term the word harmonics i mean vibartions.
bit like a wheel on a car you get them balanced by placing weights on the rims when driving no vibrations felt on the steering wheel.
but should one of those weights fall off and you get bad vibration felt on the steering wheel same applies to the engines rotating parts.
things like blocks warping,cracking or fatiging the metal.
as for the bearings yes you are right acl doesn't supply a race series bearing for this engine but i feel spg bearing are as good as any with millions of dollars and hours go into producing engines so i think they must have got it right or they wouldn't use the engine if it spun a bearing 600klms.

p.s really liking the build and just trying to enlighten you what we have found when going throught with a build like this , i feel this forum is for sharing info to help people with what direction to take for there build what works and what doesn't more people should do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:58 pm 

I understand it now, thank you suzi13! :oops:
suzi13 wrote:
, i feel this forum is for sharing info to help people with what direction to take for there build what works and what doesn't more people should do it.
I agree. =D> Any of your comments is welcome mate!

My friend who owns this car would like to ask for a little help from the community of RedlineGTi. He bought a set of wheels again but we have no idea what type of wheels they are. :shock: We suppose that these were custom-manufactured - maybe in the USA. There is not a single mark on any of them. They are 2 piece rims, 4x114.3, 7x15, the ET/offset is about 30. Each rim weighs 6kgs. It surprised us that no hub centric rings are needed as they fit the Suzuki hub perfectly! If you have any idea about the manufacturer, please tell us! Here are the pictures:

Attachment:
55303_1339133731.jpg
55303_1339133731.jpg [ 118.95 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]

Attachment:
55303_1339133835.jpg
55303_1339133835.jpg [ 96.52 KiB | Viewed 108 times ]

Attachment:
55303_1339136729.jpg
55303_1339136729.jpg [ 136.36 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

As he is very proud of his collection, I thought that I could also show you this picture:

Attachment:
55303_1339133730.jpg
55303_1339133730.jpg [ 151.48 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:15 pm 

gotta say a big "good work on the build" and also i have a few questions for you about the build.could i possibaly get a few details on the timing belt you ordered i have just pulled out a g16a with the gti head out of my sierra and stripped it down to find a crack in the block and a chewed up key/keyway in the crank. am planning to hot it up a bit and get the suzi bak on the road. would love some specs about the n/a engine your friend built? i was a driving it around with a stock g16b bottom end , no headwork and a second tensioner roller on the front coz my timing belt was too long for just one, :oops: . basicaly i would like to start ordering parts for my engine and planning to do a bit of match porting like in your thread and workout what other work to get done.

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:52 pm 

What are the name/brand of these wheels?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next