It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kotara Rocket
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:35 pm 

Thanks 'Taz,
I want to study that thread quite a bit before I finish the conversion. I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes I can avoid if I do that. I was told that a 'Rising fuel rate' pressure regulator was the way to go so now that I've fixed my unexpected problem I'm going to check one out and get me some info.

The solution was what I first suspected it might be.
When I was looking at the back of the standard TB (comparing it to the soon to be installed one) I observed that there were quite a few airways cast into the design. Since there was a substantial amount of these passages left open by the new gasket I suspected it could be a vacuum issue, the manual stated this as one of several possible issues.

So for now the short term solution (until the "new" TB goes on :twisted: ) is to keep the rear of the factory unit sealed and negate the bore work for now.
I did this by making a 9mm thick, foil coated, 5ply balsa 'gasket' which did the trick very nicely.
I chose balsa because its easy to work and has good compression characteristics and is quite rigid when plied so the air flow past it won't cause deflection away from the rear face and allow vacuum leakage.
It's primitive and temporary but it does the job.

At this point this was more of an aesthetic exercise so I'm happy that I can get back on the road tomorrow knowing that with a few more bits it'll be just a little faster. :mrgreen:

I'll post some more when I put it on.

Attachments:
Photo0317.jpg
Photo0317.jpg [ 411.28 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:13 pm 

druiddave wrote:
I'm not completely sure who built it or even if it is a real HD box.

When I bought it from Quazimoto the person he purchased it from told him those things had been done. (motor upgrades and box.) I'm not going to be upset if he was miss informed though, at the time I needed the car and was happy to upgrade things myself through time. Would be unfortunate though to throw out good trick bits because I didn't know what they were when I saw them.

Thought it was time I dropped in on this thread.
I don't think the box was meant to be Suzitech, unlike anyway since the car lived in Picton, which is a bloody way long way from Thornleigh.
The motor was supposed to have had a complete rebuild about 90,000km before I bought it - which I'd actually believe, because the car was QUICK, and that was comparing it to my mk3 which was 8 years younger and has a GENUINE 100,000km on it. Mine was faster but it has TB, exhaust and chip - this mk2 only had exhaust, and before my mk3 had any of those parts put on - had you raced this white one versus my stock mk3, I reckon this would win.
This is all just based on "feeling" driving it, so no actual science.

Basically, Dave has done to it exactly what a car like this should have done - made it nicer (and hopefully quicker) one piece at a time, because it had so much character and could have even more if some of that "character" wasn't rust and problems everywhere haha.

Good work Dave!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 am 

Hey Quazimoto, 'drop in' anytime. :D

I did check with Suziteck, and since the numbers turned out to be casting numbers it looks like it's still a mystery box. Apparently most HD boxes have an engraved number on them somewhere with the coding for whoever put it together. Unless this was done as a one off by someone with the skills but not the 'workshop'.

The little monster still goes great, although I have an assortment of interesting bits in the pipeline for the engine rebuild. (Work situation is still a bit sketchy unfortunately so have to be very disciplined where I spend money for a little while longer. :( ) A few cultus additions for the engine, (High comp pistons, cams, injectors etc) are among them so I figure if there are any of those bits already in it I can pass them along to someone else here or keep them as spares.

I had been planning to do the engine rebuild sectionally so I could test out the difference between additions and hopefully get a sense of the change each part made, but it might not be the most efficient way to go. We'll see what happens there.

For the most part I'm trying to stick with used parts on the car, (except for things like rings, bearings etc) because I've always respected the guys in Cuba and how they keep those great old cars going with almost no money or sources for aftermarket gear. They have to be inventive and creative with their resources and that's one of the things I like about the cars (and owners) on here. Regardless of the money spent or level of ability there are some great ideas to be found.

I'd still say that this is the most fun car I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 am 

druiddave wrote:
Hey Quazimoto, 'drop in' anytime. :D

I did check with Suziteck, and since the numbers turned out to be casting numbers it looks like it's still a mystery box. Apparently most HD boxes have an engraved number on them somewhere with the coding for whoever put it together. Unless this was done as a one off by someone with the skills but not the 'workshop'.

The little monster still goes great, although I have an assortment of interesting bits in the pipeline for the engine rebuild. (Work situation is still a bit sketchy unfortunately so have to be very disciplined where I spend money for a little while longer. :( ) A few cultus additions for the engine, (High comp pistons, cams, injectors etc) are among them so I figure if there are any of those bits already in it I can pass them along to someone else here or keep them as spares.

I had been planning to do the engine rebuild sectionally so I could test out the difference between additions and hopefully get a sense of the change each part made, but it might not be the most efficient way to go. We'll see what happens there.

For the most part I'm trying to stick with used parts on the car, (except for things like rings, bearings etc) because I've always respected the guys in Cuba and how they keep those great old cars going with almost no money or sources for aftermarket gear. They have to be inventive and creative with their resources and that's one of the things I like about the cars (and owners) on here. Regardless of the money spent or level of ability there are some great ideas to be found.

I'd still say that this is the most fun car I've ever owned.

I'm from Cuba :) ... you are right about that, although keeping the cars running is not the same as building them for higher performance :wink: . Many of those cars have modern diesel engines now, due to fuel consumption and the government making things difficult all the time. Can you imagine your car not getting a roadworthy, because you are using an alternator from another car and don't have the receipts? And than if you still have the receipt, you'll get in trouble because you officially can't afford it? haha average salary is like 15 dollars a month :shock: Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

elbola wrote:
Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread

:lol:
Go for your life mate,
sounds like you guys have more fun than I thought with regulations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:54 am 

Out of curiosity to find out what all the fuss is about I've taken the well worn path of installing a 55mm TB.
It took a little time to fabricate the TPS mount and actuator, (took 3 goes to get the lever right, it always helps to take the part off and measure it properly rather than trying to guess by looking at it still installed.) but got that all together a few days ago and calibrated the TPS which was a lot easier than I was expecting it to be once I followed the Manual. Had no guts and ran like a pig until the calibration was right.

Initially I had a couple of dramas (Thanks to all those I contacted for advice and the wealth of information that generated, I'm not going to name anyone in case I forget and offend or expose anyone who might want to remain anonymous :wink: ) including but not limited to an overheating issue created by air in the coolant system which wasn't dislodged until I tried driving it.
The MK1 fuel rail and FPR have been uninstalled for the moment and the stock MK3 unit reinstalled until I can get a new gauge for it. Hard to set the fuel pressure correctly with random guesses. :roll:

Currently it's running rough though, not sure exactly why but today we'll do a little investigation of some simple things like plugs, leeds, vac hoses, ignition timing and see if we can sort it out.
It doesn't go very well (at least not as well as I think it should from all reports into the conversion) but it does sound good. One of my neighbours thought it was a mutual friend with his WRX coming up the hill while I was testing it out on Friday.

Here are a few pics of the work as it went along.
I've tried to keep it looking stock as possible so it's harder for the powers that be to pick the alterations if they're casually examined.

Attachments:
Photo0363.jpg
Photo0363.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 98 times ]
Photo0367.jpg
Photo0367.jpg [ 848.64 KiB | Viewed 102 times ]
Photo0370.jpg
Photo0370.jpg [ 536.66 KiB | Viewed 96 times ]
Photo0369.jpg
Photo0369.jpg [ 1007.55 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]
Photo0371.jpg
Photo0371.jpg [ 559.72 KiB | Viewed 113 times ]

Last edited by druiddave on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

Problem located.
There is a substantial leak in the lower seal of injector 2.
off to repco (or similar.).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 pm 

It appears that I now have a substantial engine rebuild to consider.

One full set of injector seals and spark plugs later and I'm still losing coolant, while the oil level is rising suspiciously. The oil is nice and 'normal' after sitting for a couple of days and when I start it up it comes out all frothy and looking like mud. The little bugger is still running like a pig and sounds like it's misfiring even though the timing light indicates it's dead on. :x

So choices are;
throw in another cheap 2nd hand motor so I can drive it around while I do the full list of work I had planned for the engine it came with (not original),

buy a whole car to do above (ie swap motor, sell excess bits and use money to rebuild current engine),

Purchase a fully worked item and throw it in (maybe something DMWDave has lying about or a suziauto item),

go completely feral and try fitting in something newer (1.5L etc).

Decisions, decisions.
Input is welcomed and encouraged.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:16 pm 

Success! =D>

After a lot of this ](*,) it turns out that my 'helper monkey' was responsible for the majority of the issues. (I won't bother listing unless someone specifically wants to know. :lol: )
Short update is that it's going like a missile and I'm now losing traction in third up hills. (you can decide if that's a good or bad thing.)

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Here's a pic of the result.

Attachments:
Photo0377.jpg
Photo0377.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 90 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm 

Now you can bring it up to "Hatch Attack" on Sep 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 pm 

pictureshowman wrote:
Now you can bring it up to "Hatch Attack" on Sep 15

I'll keep it free. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:25 am 

The 8 month since hatch attack have been an unexpected blur of unplanned diversions and trips to a different east coast city at least once every month. Rego was due in Dec and so I started the windscreen replacement and rust removal at the beginning of November.

About then things got really crazy and the little beast got to spend the entire summer sleeping in pieces in the garage. I'd do a bit on the odd days or moments when there weren't 100 other things to do or sort out but it was looking like I was heading towards the need to go get a pits type inspection.

Last Monday I made the choice to drop right off the grid and spent all the time I had left putting him back together. Took him in for the pink slip Friday morning and passed with flying colours. Went directly to the RTA (or RMA now? :? ) and registered it straight away. Been blitzing the local roads since. Really missed driving it those last four months.....

Attachments:
19012014.jpg
19012014.jpg [ 292.28 KiB | Viewed 93 times ]
20012014.jpg
20012014.jpg [ 232.24 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]
23022014.jpg
23022014.jpg [ 512.85 KiB | Viewed 78 times ]
07032014(002).jpg
07032014(002).jpg [ 290.46 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]
07032014.jpg
07032014.jpg [ 259.85 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:29 pm 

Been wondering which sink hole you'd been lost in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 pm 

Dave's Back! :shock: =D>

Hi Dave! :D

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 am 

Hi DrelvisGTi,
Yeah, back again. :lol:

Funny you should mention a sinkhole Pictureshowman, There was a spacial distortion with a temporal variance of .00295 involved, but that's as much as I can say here.

It seems that the car has become very thirsty since I last drove it in november, have done just over 200km's since Friday and gone through 3/4 tank of fuel. :shock:
Back in the garage he goes to see if there are any fuel leaks or hoses chewed by mice.
Guess they have to go somewhere after I sealed off their access points to the interior of the car.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 pm 

Still fiddling.....
8)

Attachments:
04042014.jpg
04042014.jpg [ 338.55 KiB | Viewed 85 times ]
04042014(002).jpg
04042014(002).jpg [ 361.58 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:16 pm 

After quite a considerable time I'm finally finishing off some of the mods/fabrications I started almost two years ago.

Got a brand new FPR to finalise the 55mm TB mod. Pressure set to 409psi and works like a charm, small issue being that the pressure drops to zero after approx 24 hours and so I have to track down where the leak is.

Building some speaker boxes for the 6by9's with mono jacks so the parcel shelf can be easily removed if required. coming along slow but nicely.

And the stone guard from bzchi which has already paid for itself today by deflecting a thrown projectile over the newly installed windscreen. Gotta love that! :mrgreen:

Attachments:
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 85 times ]
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 72 times ]
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 78 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

So did you notice any benefit to upping the fuel pressure? Just curious as I may do this to "the duck" at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:30 pm 

Hi Dave,

Why have those Suzuki Cappuccino rims disappeared? :|

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:16 am 

Tassie_mk1 wrote:
So did you notice any benefit to upping the fuel pressure? Just curious as I may do this to "the duck" at some point.

There is definitely a marked difference using the Mk1 fuel rail and upping the pressure. Response is smoother and it even helped to even out the surging at idle issue I was having because my TPS has a cracked case and there was a contact issue on the resistor track. (However;)

DrelvisGTi wrote:
Hi Dave,

Why have those Suzuki Cappuccino rims disappeared? :|

Cheers,

Drew

The Cappuccino rims are in the process of being painted, and getting new tyres (I've worn the old ones through to the steel first ply on the inside edge) once I have fixed the camber issue which has seen me go through nearly six full sets of tyres in the time we've owned it. I've added a pic of what I've done in that area so far. Just a teaser really :wink: .

Here's the however;
I had to put the rims I got with the car back on for rego since they still had legal tread. They're too big though and scrub on tight bends (the tyres not the rims). They're also substantially heavier than the Cappa rims and I've noticed a significant loss of speed up some of my local test hills, as much as 10kph on one of the steeper inclines. The new FPR and rail have compensated a little but not as much as I would have expected. I've only regained a couple of K's on that hill. (standing start, about 65 to 110 mtrs from a turn into Tweed valley way can get to 90kph in earlier trials).

I don't know if I can put all that down to the added weight of the old rims though, in fairness my engine is well worn and there are bound to be losses in the equation due to engine age and use. I'm feeling that I'm at the outer limit of what I can achieve or accurately gauge by external or ancillary mods. I do have a chip on the way from gtaye though so looking forward to plugging that in and seeing the results.

Next part of the project will be an engine rebuild, but it might be a year or two before I start on that given I have some other non car related projects I have to focus my attention and budget on. We'll see what the future brings though, plans and priorities can change quickly sometimes. :lol:

Attachments:
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 77 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next