It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mik's Gti
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:43 pm 

Hey Guys, for the last year my car has been running on 8psi on a road tune and I was quite happy with this. It got 130.7hp atw with this tune and although this was slightly lower than before the rebuild (stock comp,chipped ecu,td035) it was heaps more responsive/driveable with the new set-up (vitara pistons, balanced,adaptronic,td04+some other supporting fuel mods).
So now I've added a dual stage boost controller and had the ecu mapped for more boost.
Didn't quite get to 200hp but that was only due to the wastegate actuator not wanting to go any higher than 18 psi through the controller. Can be fixed but cbf atm :P
So here's the printout at various stages of boost from the original 8psi through to 18. :mrgreen:

Attachments:
dynosheet1.jpg
dynosheet1.jpg [ 364.47 KiB | Viewed 262 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mik's Gti
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:07 pm 

Good stuff 8) Goes to show what can be done with a couple of good parts + healthy tune. Wish they came out the shop like this :P Any plans to run another turbo in the future?
Sorry if I missed it in previous post's on here :oops: Do you run an LSD of any sort?
Also if you wouldnt mind could you PM me a ball park figure of what your engine cost you? Understand if you dont but it's pretty much what im after when I get around to it :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:30 pm 

For now the TD04 will do, plus I have another as a spare and also my TD035. So have to blow those before I can buy a nice shiney new one :lol:
Running a pg in the diff, but it's definately gone over it's limitations. Only needs to shift the tiniest bit of weight and the inside wheel will spin.
Would either like to get a 1600 box or transplant my engine into a 1600 sedan (if a tidy one came up) :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:33 am 

Nice Hp. Bet your wife and kids won't even go near that thing now.
You running stock cams? Might be time to weld up the diff and sell the pg.

Ps. The dark side has been calling since I went for a ride in Scotty's Mk1 turbo over a year ago.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:14 am 

The kids have been in it but the missus hasn't. They didn't mind it but I also don't drive stupid with them in the car.
Engine specs-
Rebuilt bottom end December 08 with Vitara pistons, new bearings,pumps etc. ballanced, o-ringed. TD04, Adaptronic ecu, stock cams, stock TB, stock IM, modified fuel rail, 7mgte injectors, sard fpr, and a bosch 044 external fuel pump. The head was supposed to be a suzitech ported and polished job but it appears to be stock (had a few owners before me so dunno what's happened to it).
I don't plan on any other mods at this stage, plenty fast for me now 8) and I don't want to push my limit with the finance minister either 8-[ :P

Actually the only other thing I might look at is stiffening the front mounts (back is already solid poly) as there is still a fair bit of movement from them. May just fill them up with sicaflex and see how they go.
There are a few other things on the to do list but they can wait till we move back home in 6 months time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:46 am 

A couple of pics from a while ago. At the moment I'm repainting the skirts white and will post up new pics in a few weeks time.

Attachments:
tintenbar4.JPG
tintenbar4.JPG [ 186.62 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]
tintenbar2.JPG
tintenbar2.JPG [ 147.06 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:49 pm 

i quite like the black skirts like that. nice power figures, now to put ur setup into my sedan haha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06 pm 

Stinky!

So you've done it!!! :P :P
Bloody impressive engine figures mate!!! So looks like you are on full boost by 3,500-4,000rpm, nice!! :mrgreen:

Nice looking car but yeah - white skirts !! I like your rims too!!

Getting to a track soon?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:14 pm 

Black skirts are where it's at!
Nice flat curve! Now just upgrade the LSD and more suspension work then track it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:01 am 

Cheers for the comments guys :D
I would have left the skirts black but when I peeled the stickers off, a layer of paint came off too (dodgy enamel paint job :oops: ) So back to white they are going.
I want to get my wheels powder coated black, but there's the issue of where the wheelnuts go as they slide inside the wheel and there isn't enough room for the powder coating. And if it's left bare there's a good chance of the coating flaking off around the holes :(

The track part will have to wait 'till at least mid next year. Then we'll be closer to the track and repairs if needed 8-[

Not sure if anyone else is using the turbosmart dual stage controller, but I have noticed that there's a little more lag now and when it does boost up it overboosts by 2psi for a sec or 2 and then settles down to the set pressure. Probably has something to do with the spring loaded ballbearing inside the unit, but I don't want to remove it as it's supposed to reduce lag #-o

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:44 pm 

Have you thought about ditching the boost controller and use something like a boost control solenoid (I use the haltech one with my adaptronic)? Very stable and great to bring it on boost quickly (can use it to hold the wastegate closed longer then bang it open closer to the right point. Never have had overboost issues either).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:40 pm 

Powder coat the wheels will give it a new look as well.

Nice clean car.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:31 am 

FlyingGrape wrote:
Have you thought about ditching the boost controller

No :( :lol: :lol: Only bought it brand new not long ago. Will put up with it for now and look at something different later on. I think I need a BOV which should reduce a bit of lag between shifts.

When I bought the car it had a plastic Bosch unit and I took it off due to getting sick of the sound and now it wont cope with the boost levels anyway. The funny thing, the gate is now MUCH louder than the BOV ever was :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:37 am 

StinkyWizzleteats wrote:
The funny thing, the gate is now MUCH louder than the BOV ever was :lol: :lol: :lol:

The wastegate shouldn't make any noise... unless you've got a screamer pipe. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:12 pm 

Well instead of a tututut :P it now makes one mighty woosh when the throttle is snapped shut from high boost and I don't have a screamer. Could be because my filter is right on my turbo? I also think that if I placed a plumback bov that it would still make a fair amount of noise due to the limited amount of (or lack of) intake pipe to muffle any sound.

Attachments:
air filter placement.JPG
air filter placement.JPG [ 107.98 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm 

If you have no BOV then the sound you're describing is compressor surge. When the throttle plate snaps shut the compressed air has nowhere to go except back out through the turbo. Basically the turbo gets slowed/stalled by air in the system. I'm on the side of the fence that says that kind of thing isn't good for turbo life, and causes lag, but others will disagree. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:39 pm 

I have to agree with you on that one [YLD80Y], although at low boost (8psi) it didn't really make any difference. But at 18psi you really notice the slowing down and lag that is caused by the surge. I will still mostly drive around at the lower setting (10) and it's more than enough for daily duties and even then it doesn't see full boost ALL the time. When I do finally get a bov, I'll set it up so it only vents over 8-10psi to detract from the attention of those that may disapprove and can still drive around listening to flutter without causing damage 8) :wink:
Plus the TD04 isn't that expensive to replace :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 pm 

Just a small cosmetic update 8)

Attachments:
2010b.jpg
2010b.jpg [ 398.21 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]
2010a.jpg
2010a.jpg [ 389.24 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
2010d.jpg
2010d.jpg [ 352.25 KiB | Viewed 288 times ]
2010c.jpg
2010c.jpg [ 320.43 KiB | Viewed 265 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:33 pm 

Looking good.
Paint the mirrors and lower it a bit more.
Can't help but think those wheels would look good bronze.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:31 pm 

Nah, I prefer the black mirrors. Lower springs are on the to do list but not for a while.
And I'm still contemplating black powder coating the wheels but I need to have the holes where the studs go machined out by 1-2mm so the powdercoating can get inside with the studs without getting chipped off.
Have some holidays coming up in a few weeks and have to pull the complete dash out so I can clean up all the oil still under there :oops: Had a leaking speedo drive over a year ago and there's still oil seeping around especially around wiring. Not really looking forward to it but it has to be done :x