It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: drumer_z's (Karl) Mk2 GTi.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:35 pm 

this gti sounds wicked, got to see it today on the redline cruise and i must say im impressed, it looks really nice and sounds awesome with those cams, steering wheel looks the part too
:)

1:10.34 @ QR street sprints
17.46 @ 129 km/h @ Willowbank
"giving swifts a better reputation..... on a mountain near you"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:44 pm 

Cheers man.
They are a great profile cam and would recommend them for any GTi that wants a good torque right through the rev range and still have good daily drive-ability

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:02 pm 

bout time for an update.
Havent done much work on the GTi in some time. mainly been preoccupied with the sierra and busy with this and that.

I am out of my "Teenage tidy street cruiser" stage and now mainly focusing more on making a street/track based car with more influence on handling because face it, GTi's arent the quickest in a straight line. Engine is at a good stage right now so turning my attention to handling. Sold my sub and amp, Bought a set of 15" enkei evolution RS wheels and wrapped them in some nice Yokey Parada's (thanks to strider). I have some front coilovers with adjustable pillow ball mounts on the way and will look into getting some custom rate rear springs made and then replace all the bushes to stiffen it right up.

It is quite amazing how a set of wheels gives a totally different look to a car

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:41 pm 

looks really good mate! :wink: wheels set it off

Rasputin wrote:
Yes. I like hard parking faggots and want to be one. It's my dream
Thanks,
Dan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:04 pm 

Cheers Southy. Just went for a drive round town. Feels very nice to drive. quite different though, it will take a little bit of getting used to. The tyres grip very well too.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 pm 

Bit of an update on my gti. I have installed all the new suspension gear including cusco S13 coil overs (modified to suit GTi) and new super pro bushes all round (thanks to markymark) and a reconditioned steering rack. Handles like it is on rails now.

Before all this went in i spent half a day down at lakeside raceway. First ever track day! I can understand why people get so into racing. It is awesome. I would recommend everyone to one day take your car to the track and have a go! Great adrenalin rush. Next lakeside track day is late June. would love to see another GTi out there

After i have finished paying bills and Rego, i will be hitting up PCP motorsport for a Adaptronic E420d, new loom and a tune. squeeze a few more ponies out of the old girl.

Karl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:30 pm 

drumer_z wrote:
Bit of an update on my gti. I have installed all the new suspension gear including cusco S13 coil overs (modified to suit GTi) and new super pro bushes all round (thanks to markymark) and a reconditioned steering rack. Handles like it is on rails now.

Karl

Did you use just the front coil overs or do the rear fit with slight modification to? What was the extent of modifications to make them fit?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:58 pm 

Sorry forgot to mention only the fronts are Coilovers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:46 pm 

WIZ48 wrote:
drumer_z wrote:

Karl

Did you use just the front coil overs or do the rear fit with slight modification to? What was the extent of modifications to make them fit?

Currently going through this with bwitched and myself. He has tein s13 front that required the relocating the lower mounts and a shorter spring. I will be using ohlins housing and also will have the bottoms mounts relocated lower.

Also depending on your choice of strut top it may means drilling out the top mounts to 10mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 pm 

Thanks mark for your response. I was going to write exactly that but my phone isn't being user friendly at the moment. I was lucky enough to get adjustable camber plates with the Coilovers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 pm 

:lol: coilovers... Fun indeed
Got mine on, s13 spec springs means even on lowest setting the nose of my car is 2" higher than standard... keeps the intercooler clear of speedhumps :roll:
Currently looking at PAC suspension systems in usa for replacement springs
At $50 a piece plus postage (and anything from 50 to 500 spring rate) they look like a good supplier... Just waiting on Jurgen's advice for appropriate rate (want it low and tractable)
Yours is looking good Karl, just need some carbon on there somewhere :-"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 am 

Bewitched Gti wrote:
:lol: coilovers... Fun indeed
Got mine on, s13 spec springs means even on lowest setting the nose of my car is 2" higher than standard... keeps the intercooler clear of speedhumps :roll:
Currently looking at PAC suspension systems in usa for replacement springs
At $50 a piece plus postage (and anything from 50 to 500 spring rate) they look like a good supplier... Just waiting on Jurgen's advice for appropriate rate (want it low and tractable)
Yours is looking good Karl, just need some carbon on there somewhere :-"

Steve - as discussed earlier check out summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... Rank%7cAsc

Shipping to Australia $35. Under $100 all up, but you will most likely need to run spacer springs and collars. Another $100 there alone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm 

Picked up my car from PCP motorsport. Graeme has worked his magic and installed an Adaptronic E420D ecu, new wiring loom and faster flowing rear muffler. He then sent it to the dyno where it made 94ftlb torque at 3000rpm and 95hp at 7500rpm. The dyno operator didnt want to take it higher than 7500 because it is an old engine. Very happy with those results seeing as the engine itself is standard apart from the Cultus+1mm cams. The car sounds and goes great. Cant wait to bring my lap time down at lakeside in September.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 am 

drumer_z wrote:
Picked up my car from PCP motorsport. Graeme has worked his magic and installed an Adaptronic E420D ecu, new wiring loom and faster flowing rear muffler. He then sent it to the dyno where it made 94ftlb torque at 3000rpm and 95hp at 7500rpm. The dyno operator didnt want to take it higher than 7500 because it is an old engine. Very happy with those results seeing as the engine itself is standard apart from the Cultus+1mm cams. The car sounds and goes great. Cant wait to bring my lap time down at lakeside in September.

This sounds like a result! How smooth is it through the entire rev range under load?
Did the tuner make the new maps from scratch?

Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 am 

I haven't got the sheet but it feels great right through the range. I might contact him and see if they can send me the graph. They basically loaded another gtis map and altered it here and there to suit my engine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 am 

drumer_z wrote:
I haven't got the sheet but it feels great right through the range. I might contact him and see if they can send me the graph. They basically loaded another gtis map and altered it here and there to suit my engine.

I'd be keen for a copy of that, if you dont mind?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 am 

Thought i would share the dyno graph. 96hp at 7000. He didn't go any higher because the engine has done over 320k. Still making great power though!

Attachment:
2012-10-05_11.43.211.jpg
2012-10-05_11.43.211.jpg [ 178.56 KiB | Viewed 3004 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:52 pm 

Been a long time since i have updated my build thread. I have been taking part in a few track days down at lakeside including the Time Attack series last year in the 2wd NA street class which i won!!.....purely because i turned up the most. never the fastest on track hahaha.

Recent changes to the car... I am now running RDA slotted and dimpled rotors on the front with Intima pads. Brakes feel really good even when cold. I have installed a Sparco Challenge seat to keep me steady and 4 point harness. Also had my brother in law to paint the underside of my bonnet just for some fun. the car only has a few months of rego left. After that, it will be taken off the road, Engine rebuild, head work, quad tbs, rebuild gearbox + LSD, cage and more weight reduction.

Attachment:
because1.jpg
because1.jpg [ 84.49 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

Attachment:
seat.jpg
seat.jpg [ 43.76 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:36 pm 

Nice!!! Cant wait to see your results after the rebuild.
I have a spare custom intake plate to suit quads if your interested.
Are you going to rebuild yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:31 pm 

Yeah i will build the bottom end myself and will have the head sent to Graeme at pcp to get the head flowing a little better. Still have some decisions to make about whether i change the cams to BD10s and whether i go to a high comp piston.

I will take you up on that offer after my bank account recovers. Just bought a Head and neck restraint, and a helmet to suit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next