It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: drumer_z's (Karl) Mk2 GTi.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:39 am 

There is some 952 camshafts on the for sale thread for $500 which includes camgears.
They would be perfect for your rebuild. Bit more aggressive than bd14's though. But what you want for a dedicated track car.
I have the 935c camshafts and I really like them.

Last edited by 1600GTI on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:51 pm 

That is a really good price. I still really hate not being able to drive the GTi on the road so i am torn between making a dedicated track car with a heavily worked NA motor and a full cage or just a moderately worked motor and half cage so i can keep it road legal and fairly easy to drive. Might have to bite the bullet and make a dedicated track car and buy a GTi run around.

The girlfriend is thinking of getting a swift sport. We are a pair of suzuki freaks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:26 am 

Just got my head and neck restraint device and pyrotect helmet. Safety first at the race track people!!

Attachment:
IMAG0328.jpg
IMAG0328.jpg [ 933.8 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:30 pm 

Preparing for lakeside time attack next Saturday. My ra 1 toyos are bathing in octopus tyre softner. Got my bond roll cage in. Not all that happy with the mounting points of the cage being on the floor behind the driver and not in the ledge above it. Should keep the roof off my head in A roll over though

Attachment:
IMAG0491.jpg
IMAG0491.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 112 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:48 pm 

looking at the photo your seat hasn't got much support,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:01 pm 

Nah its made of super light weight clear acrylic. Invisible to the naked eye.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 pm 

Your beast is lookin better every time I see it Karl.. Can't wait to see it again in the flesh
Let us know when you'll be at the next TimeAttack and Ill get a few snaps on the day

Whats next in line?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:50 pm 

Well this Saturday will be my last time attack at lakeside for this year. After that I plan on a full motor rebuild with some more go fast bits and gearbox rebuild. So next year I will be really tearing up the track. Possibly do some street sprints and hill climbs with the old man and enter the datsun at the same time!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:59 pm 

Dude.. g/box rebuild .. I would have ordered two 2nd gears if I knew that :D
Gimme a tingle next Friday and Ill make my way out there .. what day?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 pm 

Saturday the 12th. Haha thanks man. I got a few contacts in genuine spare parts and aftermarket.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 pm 

Well i bought buzza's old Gearbox. With all the missing teeth of 3rd from his blow out at QLD raceways Hatch Attack :lol: . It has a Modena Torsen style LSD, dog toothed 1:1 4th gear, strengthened 1st and 2nd gear and 4.5 final drive. I have replaced all the wrecked gears. Found out it has a 3/8 size input shaft so 9mm ID spigot too small and 10mm too big.
Anyone ever seen this before??? it was originally a complete dog box. Possibly the cause of all the smashed gears? The g box is currently away hopefully having a sleeve made made up to go over the input shaft so i can use a spigot that actually exists.

As for the motor, i have a PCP worked head with BD14's and quad GSXR1000 manifold running about 12;1 compression. Bottom end is still standard pistons with Hastings chrome rings and king bearings,. Just so MK2 owners know, the rings were an absolute bastard to find in a quality brand. Slightly different to the MK1 and 3's.

A custom accelerator cable has been made up at AM auto.

A new Sabelt 6 point now holds me in. I installed a battery isolator too and relocated the battery to the spare wheel well. Fresh OMP deep dish to replace the old.

I have some Avon 205 60 13's on the way because i am a cheap skate racer on a budget. should get a couple of track days out of them.
The car is being transported to work so it can all be put together with ease having hoists and good equipment.
Then onto the dyno!!!! Perks of the job. :lol:

Attachment:
g13b rebuild.jpg
g13b rebuild.jpg [ 136.05 KiB | Viewed 93 times ]

Attachment:
3rdgear.jpg
3rdgear.jpg [ 53.9 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:00 pm 

Had the car on the dyno before the track day in may and she produced a disappointing 86hp but a whopping 122ftlb of torque. I knocked 2.8 seconds off my best time at lakeside but the day was plagued with bad luck, oil cap came off and i was filling the oil catch can very quickly.

With a slightly larger 2.25 inch exhaust (upping power to 90hp and torque to 128ftlb), modified baffle, tie wired oil cap 8-[ and running a low shear 15w50 penrite race oil, the car performed faultlessly today at lakeside getting a further .9 of a second off my pb getting me down to a 66.9 sec. I have some wheel alignment adjustments to make to get the car to turn in and corner right. Other than that i was pretty happy with the power and pull it has out of the corners.

Post subject: Re: drumer_z's Mk2 GTi.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:29 pm 

Every little bit helps.
:wink:
=D>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:22 pm 

New 13's with Advan A050 medium compound. Coilovers and Steel braided brakelines on their way. Should have them by the next lakeside time attack on the 11th of October.
Hoping I will be able to get a little closer to the 2 MX5s and civic that are ahead of me in the comp.

Attachment:
new shoes.jpg
new shoes.jpg [ 60.84 KiB | Viewed 74 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:16 am 

Well the 2014 was a great one for my little swift. Improved my time at lakeside at each race meet. Pb is now at 65.33 which was on a stinking hot day! So expecting a 64 on a cooler day. I finished 3rd in the Lakeside timeattack series C2 2WD NA performance class. Beaten by an mx5 and a Civic, both were doing 63 second laps. I still have plenty of room for improvement but the car is handling really well now with the AO50's and the Harris Motor Sport rear camber tops.

Next year i will probably be looking at the Open sprints and maybe some racing at Morgan park. Many thanks to all those involved in the build, everyone who gave me technical advice and pit crewed for me!

Attachment:
gtiVcelica.jpg
gtiVcelica.jpg [ 78.13 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8