It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: GTi Build diary: from street tough to track day
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:09 am 

Hi all,

I feel like I've passed a bit of a milestone with my GTi, so will briefly share what has happened to it. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy reading others' build threads!! :)

I bought my first GTi late last year, and it was far from standard!
It had been in Hot4s mag http://www.ssgti.net/main.htm , done low 12sec 1/4 miles, won 'best enginebay' autosalon2000!! :D

The engine felt like it had heaps of power, so I was quite surprised when it didn't really show at my first track day! :?

Advice from RedlineGTI members and Pete at Suzitech was brilliant in encouraging & helping me to realise what the weak points were for track use - such as the huge 17" wheels, too low suspension, LSD set up for drags not corners, etc.

So the milestone I referred to is that I've done 3 trackdays so far, and the big one and most testing is this Saturday at Oran Park. :twisted:
Also - I just got it back from a dynotune today (2nd one, but I was pretty unhappy with the first! :x ) and finally I am seeing clearly that the beast is ready to cut loose and surprise some contenders! At 17psi the Swift is producing 140kW (188hp) now, and also running much smoother generally too - so I am pretty happy!!

I mentioned that the original owner got into drags and got it to the stage of consistently doing low 12sec quarter miles on the track, and he also enjoyed “blowing the doors off V8s” on the street! For special occasions he sometimes ran 26psi giving 185Kw!

The 2nd owner did a bit with it (cold air box, gearbox repairs) then I tracked him down and eventually convinced him to sell it to me! :P

I am the 3rd owner, and my aim is to set it up as a very competitive trackday car, while still also using it as a daily driver! :mrgreen:
I work close to home, so not many kms. The wife & kids complain about how impractical it is (harsh suspension, heavy steering, aggressive engine) ...but I don’t mind! :wink: Daddy's not listening!
I don’t want to turn it into solely a track-only car because a) I couldn’t justify it! b) I like driving it too much!

Car mods when I bought it FYI; (some pics ½way down page at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8674&start=640 )
    T28 Garrett ballbearing turbo (apparently this will probably die within 6 months according to Hitman. Sign is the belch of black smoke when downshifting)
    550cc injectors
    Haltech E6X ECU
    Front koni shocks, Gab stock rear shocks.
    Forged pistons, eyeletted rods, 7.5:1 comp ratio, ported & polished head, s/steel valves, stronger valve springs.
    Standard cams! (he told me it was for the low down torque – he tried 272s but found they were laggy, (power not until 4000rpm instead of normal 2600rpm!)
    Brake calipers from an R33, slotted rotors made up from Ford BA blank & standard brake Booster. These were awesome!!!! :shock:
    Blitz iD ECU display

To change it into a good Track Day car I have had to make some changes (work done by Suzitech);
    Replaced ultra-low kidney-busting suspension with king springs Front (more than the standard 200lb - but not exactly sure! 225lb? , 600lb King spring in rear)
    Replaced very loud exhaust with moderately loud!
    Removed dark tint on front window (to be legal)
    Removed big amp and was able to put spare tyre in boot again!
    Removed ‘Garrett Turbo’ etc stickers – prefer the ‘sleeper’ look!
    Toned down the Modena LSD a bit (removed some shims so it still worked, but was not so bloody hard to turn a corner!)
    Momo pedals (I am 6’2” and have big feet, needed narrower pedals!)
    Added Suzitech short-shifter gearstick
    Installed new fuel pump
    Replaced 17” wheels (205/40 17) with 13x7” Minilites (with max offset machined), and Yoko A048 Semi slicks 205/60 13 (this made a huge improvement, improved 3secs at Marulan!! Tyre press recco for A048 by Waylow which seems to work well; 28 psi front cold, 31-32psi rear cold => 36psi hot.)
    Added an underbody front brace
    Replaced the R33 front brakes (they were a hard act to follow!) with Honda Odyssey calipers and DBA slotted rotors – this was so the smaller rims could (with difficulty)fit on!!
    Also Ferodo 650C track pads and Castrol DOT4 brake fluid.
    Replaced oversize alternator with standard GTi one (now it is not running a monster stereo!) and overpulley and battery isolator switch (lightweight battery is in ColdAir Box)
    Replaced waterpump, urethane bushes, starter motor.
    Rolled guards out a further 20+mm to accommodate the A048s, and also increased the camber & added a 20mm spacer to coils at rear where they rubbed guards at times.
    Installed a Greddy Profec B Series II Electronic Boost Controller and dynotuned (by Hitman at Penrith, as used and recommended by original owner Michael).
    Now ‘Low’ = 8psi (everyday road use) and ‘High’ = 17psi (trackday use)
    Made up and Installed Front Coilovers - details and pics further below
    Made up and Installed Bonnet catch cable.

I will be taking some video at Oran Park, and will post it and other video clips of trackday stuff to my T0yRac3r Youtube account at; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtzjJW4XXo

I want to thank many of you for your encouragement and advice!!! :D

Attachments:
File comment: Greddy Profec B Series II Electronic Boost Controller. (location not ideal, will prob move to below stereo I think..)
‘Low’ = 8psi (everyday road use) and ‘High’ = 17psi (trackday use)

Greddy Profec electronic Boost controller.JPG
Greddy Profec electronic Boost controller.JPG [ 115.27 KiB | Viewed 11079 times ]
File comment: Swift at last Track day at Marulan
Swift-at-Marulan-with-Minilites-and-A048.jpg
Swift-at-Marulan-with-Minilites-and-A048.jpg [ 137.94 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]
File comment: It is scary-fast now!!!!!
140kW dyno sheet TOY12S 9Jun09.JPG
140kW dyno sheet TOY12S 9Jun09.JPG [ 1 MiB | Viewed 242 times ]

Last edited by Capt_Gherkin on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: GTi Build diary: from street tough to track day
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 am 

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Well done mate!! Good to see it getting a good use! Carnt wait to have some fun on the track with ya!

ohh p.s! I might come out to oran park on saturday if i get a chance

Buzza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:00 am 

It'd be great to see you Buzza!

Only problem is that apparently it is not allowed to take passengers at Oran Park (unless they are CAMS-certified instructors) :? ... otherwise I'd love to take you for a blast and get some tips!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 pm 

It's all good. I'll try and make it in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:03 pm 

Nice set-up :wink:
Black smoke is usually associated with fuel, not oil, so how would that relate to the turbo going bung? Thought it would have more to do with overfuelling seeing you have some decent size injectors.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 pm 

Just got it back from Suzitech this evening and I am very happy with the work! :P

New coilovers are installed on the front (only). :P :P
They have some Pedders components, plus 300lb King springs, plus Pete has made up some bits on his lathe to adapt, and it uses the existing Koni shock insert too. ($1500 installed, and if all goes well he is planning to add this as another product on his website - free plug http://www.suzitech.com/ :wink: ).

Anyway, it feels firmer on the road, but not too harsh actually.. so far anyway!!

Pete has initially set it up moderately, with 2 - 2½ degrees negative camber,
as much caster as possible (and you can see with the pic below that as you adjust and add camber it will automatically add more caster since the slot is diagonal towards the rear).
And 1mm toe out on each tyre (front and rear).

On the rear, there are no coilovers, but there are (custom wound) 600lb King springs. :P
Since the 13x7" rear wheels had some probs rubbing on the guards we have also had to add some camber, not certain how much but I would guess about 2 degrees negative camber! And roll the guards out by 20mm, and add a 10mm aluminium spacer at the top of the spring. This spacer seems to have stopped the occasional rub that was happening before.. [-o< no regrets though!!

And with the +10mm spacer at back, and it seems slightly lower at the front due to coilover too, I definitely have a bit more of that nose down feeling. I assume this will cause it to be a bit more oversteery, which is good - but I will have to be bloody careful as I get used to it!! :shock:

Certainly the car has never felt as connected to the road as it does now, though it certainly does also feel a bit more 'twitchy' too!
The proof will be on the track tomorrow, but I really am pretty excited because the car has NEVER felt anywhere near as awesome as it does now, especially since the dynotune and coilovers..

Ok - here are some pics! :mrgreen: Enjoy, and thanks again for your great feedback & encouragement guys!! Especially Waylow, Buzza, Tekkie! :P :P

Attachments:
File comment: Camber is adjustable, and to an extent caster is too. BRILLIANT!!!
Coilovers top view.jpg
Coilovers top view.jpg [ 429.68 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]
File comment: The view of the coilovers from within the wheel arch.
Coilovers underneath view.jpg
Coilovers underneath view.jpg [ 366.48 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]
File comment: This is a bonnet latch they made up too, similar to Tekkie's posted recently.. (thanks mate!!)
bonnet latch.jpg
bonnet latch.jpg [ 368.65 KiB | Viewed 239 times ]

Last edited by Capt_Gherkin on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:50 pm 

Great day James, i got some pics from the day. It was good to see you out there!

What times did you end up laying down? Did you get another go after you came and saw us?

Anyways here they are . . :mrgreen:

P.S. Hope you didnt make it to hard for me to catch you haha :P

Attachments:
Picture 033.jpg
Picture 033.jpg [ 70.27 KiB | Viewed 10643 times ]
Picture 031.jpg
Picture 031.jpg [ 85.32 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]
Picture 026.jpg
Picture 026.jpg [ 86.26 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]
Picture 025.jpg
Picture 025.jpg [ 99.34 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
Picture 024.jpg
Picture 024.jpg [ 169.71 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]
Picture 022.jpg
Picture 022.jpg [ 109.6 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 011.jpg [ 183.25 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 007.jpg [ 34.33 KiB | Viewed 10486 times ]
Picture 013.jpg
Picture 013.jpg [ 86.8 KiB | Viewed 10475 times ]
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg [ 83.36 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13 pm 

Here are some other randoms of the day and other cars...

Attachments:
Picture 032.jpg
Picture 032.jpg [ 47.76 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]
Picture 030.jpg
Picture 030.jpg [ 65.28 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]
Picture 029.jpg
Picture 029.jpg [ 75.23 KiB | Viewed 10440 times ]
Picture 027.jpg
Picture 027.jpg [ 81.53 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]
Picture 019.jpg
Picture 019.jpg [ 95.19 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 017.jpg [ 105.41 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 015.jpg [ 104.85 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 008.jpg [ 90.08 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:57 am 

buzza9 wrote:
Here are some other randoms of the day and other cars...

Hey Buzza, Pauly - thanks for coming out guys!!!
Nice to finally meet you!! :D

Great pics too - you're good at the panning!!

I can't see my results on Natsoft, so I think the transponder must not have worked!
However I did see two cars I was jostling evenly with all day (Renault Clio Sport, Mazda 2), and they both had 1:29secs as their best time!! So I think that would be a fairly accurate best guess..

Not as fast as I was hoping for - but that is due more to unrealistic expectations!! :oops:

Had an exciting time on the day and with the 17psi boost almost nothing passed me on the main straight - got up to 180kmh! :twisted: I was almost keeping up with an SS Commodore ute in the straight (and all over him in the corners as you would expect!)

I saw plenty of exotic and powerful cars today, but am very happy sticking with a Swift! :mrgreen: (The Audi RS3 with it's AWD and 4.2 litre V8 sounded sublime though!!!! :twisted: )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:00 am 

=D>

anything sub 1:30 are respectable times. :) you will only improve once you get used to the suspension setup.

2008: Mk1 TAR car, stock engine, open diff - 1/4mile 14.774 @ 91mph

2006: Mk1- yeah well at some stage to go on track...
2003-2005 Mk3(retired)- EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.14 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:47 am 

Yeah it was good to finally meet you!

As tekkie said anything sub 1.30's is a decent time so i would be pretty happy with that for your first time out, but think of it this way - you can only get quicker from there! :mrgreen:

Not too bad for the first time shooting motorsport and trying panning :) Wish i was out there tho lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:41 pm 

was good to meet you james and see the beast in its new guise *spelling*
and i had you hand timed at around the 1:30 ish mark :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:48 pm 

Nice to see its putting down power like it once did.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:09 pm 

papa wrote:
Nice to see its putting down power like it once did.

I dont think it was ever putting the power down that way... Go Yokies 48's !

2008: Mk1 TAR car, stock engine, open diff - 1/4mile 14.774 @ 91mph

2006: Mk1- yeah well at some stage to go on track...
2003-2005 Mk3(retired)- EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.14 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 pm 

Great to see another swift at the track. That tyre/rim combo look so huge on a swift, must affect your gearing much?

Mk3 Swift Gti - WP 1.13.8 EC 1.56.1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:13 am 

fatboyz39 wrote:
Great to see another swift at the track. That tyre/rim combo look so huge on a swift, must affect your gearing much?

Not really - 205/60-13 is only 6% larger diameter than standard 15" (at least that is how much the speedo underreads according to my GPS..

And it has heaps of torque, (and then some of the gear ratios are changed to I think)

But yeah - I don't think it slows me down at all.. probably helps..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:39 am 

They do look fat on the car (+10 spacer and plenty of dish). What offset on the wheels? I always wanted to do some minilites or watanabe's on the GTi. Never could find a wide enough set.

Very jealous. I have same colour car and bonnet venting but your car just looks so much cleaner (the clear bits really help to I think - as well as the lack of the big GTi graphic down the side..).

Great working on the track. Would love to be able to get some time out there too. Maybe next year!

How is it getting the power down out of the corners with that much boost? Bit of a handful or enough grip from the tyres?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:35 am 

FlyingGrape wrote:
They do look fat on the car (+10 spacer and plenty of dish). What offset on the wheels? I always wanted to do some minilites or watanabe's on the GTi. Never could find a wide enough set.

Very jealous. I have same colour car and bonnet venting but your car just looks so much cleaner (the clear bits really help to I think - as well as the lack of the big GTi graphic down the side..).

Great working on the track. Would love to be able to get some time out there too. Maybe next year!

How is it getting the power down out of the corners with that much boost? Bit of a handful or enough grip from the tyres?

Flying Grape,

Thanks mate!!! I don't know what the offset is, but the guys who drilled and machined it were asked to "do the maximum offset possible!!"
There are no spacers on the wheels, (the 10mm spacer I mentioned earlier was on the rear springs).

Yeah, traction is a problem - I need to be more sensitive and ease onto the acceleration more gently!! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:48 am 

Ah I see! Misread your info.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 am 

Hi James
Car looks awesome =D> =D>

love the wheels :lol:

Jerry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next