It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 am 

will you need to re-machine the opening once welded to ensure its not distorted?

GTP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 am 

Now the roll centre change is proving to be a bit of a monster.
The new swift uprights are different in quite a few ways. Everything you read on redlinegti on Dave's page re LCA roll centre adjustment is correct HOWEVER. I cannot get enough negative camber even if I were to grind the top of the new upright and slot the holes....the spring ends up hitting the body....that is of course with it on the hoist....not the ground. so because the LCA is now at an angle there will be a camber change in the right direction when it sits on the ground. (I have mocked it all up...perhaps i need to try that first). The reason....the new swift upright ball joint mounting position....is 7mm closer to the hub than the GTI. The result is reducing the track by 14mm plus making positive camber unless you can get enough movement in the top of the strut etc....if you can then you will have the spring touch the body. I'm going to cut the end of the LCA off and fit a plate to position the ball joint as if it were connected to the GTI hub...that is if there is not enough camber the it sits on the ground.

Will lengthening the LCA to compensate throw out other important steering geometry? I cannot fit wider spacers to compensate as they are already 17mm and the new ARP studs are only just long enough for those...it would mean finding a lower offset lightweight wheel....rrrrgh.

sam do you have a number? feel like a chat?
cheers Glenn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 am 

The limiting factor is the extended length of the CV shafts, theres not much extra length, if the ball joint is 7mm closer in then you'll be fine to extend the LCA out by the same amount, I would recommend extending it at the hub end so the swaybar mounting is the same spot.

Personally I'd just cut the end off the LCA and use a rose joint and adjust your roll centre like this factory Megane.

Attachments:
Megane.jpg
Megane.jpg [ 467.67 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:01 pm 

Thanks very much Derek. unfortunately I already bought the lower swift ball joints. Lachlan will make the modification and he's an engineer...he said tell me where you want them and Ill make it happen!

Thats great I can just extend it....after much measuring its going to be very difficult to get the camber unless I extend the LCA. Ill also have to slot the holes on the strut and mill off the top portion of the upright to go toward the strut further.

Lachlan said just do 10mm but Id like to retain the GTI set position to ensure the half shafts sit where they should.

The mod to the LCA's will take me 2 days....Lachlan will do them in two hours. =D>

It appears to have 4 degrees of Castor with the mockup I have done...so I could get lachlan to move the joints forward 5mm which will add another degree. yes...no?

I could ditch those disc protectors for the track couldn't i?
also for anyone interested....there is a 5 degree angle difference between the two bolt holes on the gti upright versus the new swift. Also the distance between the upright strut mounting holes and the centre of the hub is 7mm less on the new swift...that will cause a lowing of the ride height by 7mm...not a problem...thats in the right direction anyway...and it can be adjusted out.

Attachments:
File comment: shock too close to the strut tower
IMG_4150 2.JPG
IMG_4150 2.JPG [ 220.21 KiB | Viewed 20 times ]
File comment: 0 camber on mockup
IMG_4149 2.JPG
IMG_4149 2.JPG [ 267.57 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:20 pm 

OK...we are cutting the end of the arm off...extending it so the ball joint will be 5mm forward and 8mm outward. This will place the joint back in the position the GTI balljoint was in. it will also add more castor and I can fine tune that with the spacer washers on the LCA. We are not cranking the angle in on the end like the original LCA has...the reason...when the car is lowered the arm sits a few degrees down...ceratinly not upwards like before. when on the hoist it sits at least 12 degrees down however I will need to adjust the ride height yet. The balljoint has enough movement in it that the crank is not required.

Also this will restore the track to GTI specs...and I can fine tune that with the wheel spacers.

Its just going to be a plate welded on top right now....wont be the prettiest [-X but its a bit of trial and error. Once we are happy with the on track performance its easy to remove the LCA and fabricate a decent looking one out of a bit of moly. truth is...if it works well...I probably won't bother :|

we are going to weld the plate on top of the arm as doing it below defeats the purpose of the mod...it will just lift the arm up ....we want to keep the ball joint up to keep the arm down.
it will be a weight penalty much like your mazda astina joint sam...especially as you will have to plate the area you will bolt that joint into. Lachlan is going to pick up the strength from the sides of the LCA. the back of the plate will be rounded so the LCA does not have a stress fracture point.

Ill post pics once its done.
boy lots of work but i love this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:27 pm 

latest day on the Car. rear suspension tidy up...rebuilt brakes, ground the top of the springs so they sit flat on the top and lower the car a bit. Waiting for paint to dry sucks.

integra wheels....yes they are green. #-o 8-[ boy loves them...i have another set...they will be white. :P

The fleabay spacers I bought are amazing....if you like crap. [-X I replaced the studs with ARP. I fitted the wheel to the right side today and it wobbled. The disc ran perfectly....I had already checked the wheels. It couldn't be the spacer....yup...spun it on the lathe...20 thou out...ie...one surface not parallel to the other...the outside of the spacer not concentric with the centre. Took 20 thou off one face and the perimeter....now its perfect....better do the other three. :shock:

Lachlan is making my front arms longer. Everything is pretty much done for the front so keen to put it all together. =D>

Attachments:
IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG [ 347.56 KiB | Viewed 22 times ]
IMG_4156 2.JPG
IMG_4156 2.JPG [ 509.3 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]
IMG_4158.JPG
IMG_4158.JPG [ 493.98 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]
IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4160.JPG [ 194.63 KiB | Viewed 22 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 pm 

So my mate Lachlan made these for me to house the new swift joints. They look awesome. Bit of paint. Push the new joints in. =D>
Original position as the gti joints except further forward for more castor. Being on top of arm keeps the LCA lower when ball joint fitted. Couple of days the front end should be on. Pics to come. Just got to fit the new SKF front bearings....fit the new LCA's and pull the hubs in. Milled out the top holes today for camber correction. If not enough I'll take a bit more out of the slotted top strut hole.

Attachments:
File comment: Mark 2 lower control arms
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4206.JPG [ 102.86 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:59 pm 

Some engine bling. New uprights ready to bake paint on and fit to car after I whack the bearings in.

Attachments:
File comment: New swift upright been milled, bead blasted and painted with caliper paint...just need to bake it for 1hour at 200 degrees...I wonder if wifey might notice?
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG [ 405.99 KiB | Viewed 20 times ]
File comment: Three tech honduh Pistons machined for 12.5:1 cr.
IMG_4212.JPG
IMG_4212.JPG [ 280.82 KiB | Viewed 20 times ]
File comment: Three tech cam grinds.
IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG [ 606.32 KiB | Viewed 24 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm 

Loving working in the workshop right now....clean means I can find everything easily and get work done! Just gotta stay like that 8-[

Attachments:
File comment: Clean workshop.....finally!
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG [ 457.38 KiB | Viewed 22 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 am 

The modified LCA's look good. What material did Lachlan use? Is it just mild or something with a higher carbon content?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:49 pm 

good point...Ill ask Lachlan and report back. He said its way stronger than stock. definitely no chance of cracking as the main weld is on the heavy meat at the sides and the arc at the rear part has no stress fracture point. He also said the main stress on this part is not in the vertical which makes sense as it merely follows the strut....its more braking stresses and g loading in and out. It will take tonnes more loading than the basic arms as its 10mm thick...yes a bit of a weight penalty....but not a lot over a bolt on system. Ill let you know how they bolt up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm 

Will you run castor bushes as well or do you reckon you'll have enough castor with the change to the control arm?

I'm currently running the castor bushes and thought I'd get a new set for the modified arms. BNT are the local Whiteline agent but they don't stock them and want an extra $100 for a one off order. I think they can take a running jump, I need to find an Australian supplier that will export.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 pm 

You need to clean the grass off the mower before you put it away. I am surprised you have not put in braided brake lines.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 pm 

Hey Sam. I have castor bushes. Super pro. I have a pic on the castor. I only have a really crap way of measuring castor and camber so it's a guess but I think 5 odd degrees. I will know when I get the alignment done where I end up.

The plates are grade 350 structural steel.

Pictureshowman. Hi. I try to be really good with my mower and underachieve most of the time. Usually we put it on the hoist to clean the underside of it but the race car is always on it..... :?
I have braided lines for the front, new swift calipers, endless pads, a vitara master cylinder, no booster, a wilwood pressure reducer for the rear brakes and everything is rebuilt. I figured that the rear brakes do bugger all so I Left the rubber lines on for now....I'll probably do them a bit later.

Meantime for your viewing pleasure....getting the front together. =D>

Attachments:
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4226.JPG [ 681.86 KiB | Viewed 26 times ]
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4227.JPG [ 684.84 KiB | Viewed 25 times ]
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG [ 682.73 KiB | Viewed 22 times ]
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG [ 685.08 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 am 

They look good. Certainly the camber looks fine from the photo. Possibly the only issue might be the angle of the ball joint, a mk2 version might retain the change of angle at the end of the lca.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 am 

That's only the totally unloaded position of the ball joint though. When the car is down it will be mostly centred....the ball joint is not near its max deflection either. We talked about the crank at the end to align the ball joint but considered it unnecessary. When under its maximum force it will be g forces from the outside or during braking....both of those will yield a fairly centered ball joint as the arm will be either straight or slightly upwards. At least that's my theory! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 pm 

pox....i missed the part where i had to replace the discs for new swift ones. :oops: i thought the gti ones would fit. ok they don't. the back spacing is 8mm out. the gti discs are grooved. new swift ones aren't unless you get the sport ones...then you need a dogbone caliber attachment.
bugger. :evil:

well back to the wreckers

Attachments:
IMG_4195.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG [ 253.14 KiB | Viewed 25 times ]
IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG [ 406.74 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]
IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4193.JPG [ 275.11 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 am 

I had a quick measure and the difference seems to in the upright and the rotor. The hubs seem identical. I guess that makes it easy enough to fix and makes sense given no one else seemed to have this issue with new Swift brake conversions, they'll all be using GTi uprights so GTi rotors work fine.

I guess there are two solutions, either using the M15 rotor or spacing the caliper back by 8mm. If you want to retain the GTi rotors then the spacer would be pretty easy to make, just a piece of 8mm bar with the holes drilled.

I'll have the same issue to work around but less options. Either I space the dogbone for my wilwoods or machine the rotor hat.

I suppose this also means that the track is reduced by 8mm. Probably just as well you didn't move the ball joint in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:55 am 

Thinking about it, M15 rotor won't work without re-drilling as they're a different stud pattern.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:54 pm 

yup sam...it doesn't. Re drill to 4 x 114.3 plus open the bore up to 64.15mm from 60mm.
Trouble is new decent discs cost an arm and a leg....and my GTI discs are znoelli 12 slots...heat treated...they are $550 plus GST new!!! I picked up some junkyard new swift discs but lachlan has convinced me to try and fit my discs....a 7mm spacer behind the hat will do. he is going to modify to make it work. the outer spacers will simply be smaller.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next