It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 12:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Our little cultus racer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:09 am 

3m is pressure sensitive and colour fast....just expensive. The vvivid stuff I got was $179 (USD) for the orange. About 150 worth of carbon. Personally I'd rather have painted the orange and wrapped the carbon. Just the extensive prep work sucks ass for a great paint job. However...if the wrap doesn't last I'll have to go down this route next time as I think the rest of the paint will peel off leaving me the original primer. If I stripped back to that I'd probably be able to high fill and blow on the top coats. I get what both of you are saying. I think wrapping the solid colour is pretty dumb (me) but wrapping the carbon look is smart. So if you can do gtpswift's idea of blowing on the main colour as the prep work is just about as much for wrapping it would be better....but any carbon stuff you want to do wrap it....and the black carbon has a texture so it hides a multitude of sins! One other thing I really dislike about painting is the little buggers that think I'm making a landing pad for them....aka bugs. Plus the overspray etc....if I had a booth....I'd paint for sure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:03 pm 

overkill on the rear window but looks good...no bulging out of the polycarb. such a hard shape to bend to without some form of clamping so i used a little more ali to fix the bugger for good. The total weight saving is still half the weight of the rear window. 2.6 kg saved. crap load of work but looks the shiz...well in my world anyway. =D>

Attachments:
IMG_3645.JPG
IMG_3645.JPG [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 7 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:06 pm 

Bc shocks and springs fitted on the front. Sway bar at the rear full poly bush kit all supplied by SPR.

Attachments:
IMG_3695.JPG
IMG_3695.JPG [ 965.06 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]
IMG_3692.JPG
IMG_3692.JPG [ 974.57 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]
IMG_3693.JPG
IMG_3693.JPG [ 970.06 KiB | Viewed 7 times ]
IMG_3694.JPG
IMG_3694.JPG [ 969.55 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
IMG_3691.JPG
IMG_3691.JPG [ 973.41 KiB | Viewed 7 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 pm 

Well we have a good base now....time for testing!

Attachments:
File comment: Really happy with the car
IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG [ 144.49 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 am 

Well it looks the part... lap times are what matters though, have you done a wheel alighnment yet?

Put your old tyres on when you do your testing, put the new rubber on when the car is handling nicely so you don't confuse grip with handling, let us know how you get on 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 am 

Looks great mate! Looking forward to hear how it goes on the track.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:08 pm 

looks great =D> after all the weight shedding what does it weigh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:01 pm 

Awesome looking Swift mate and the colour combo works well.

How many kms and HP avail on the stock Cultus motor ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:33 pm 

Cars looking great...good work... now get out there and turn some laps!
GTP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:51 pm 

Hi Guys. Sorry for the slow reply. Been very busy with work at home.
Thanks for the nice comments. The weight we shed was in the vicinity of 17kg. Made up of window regulators, glass, front headlights, the dash, stock sliding seat rails (heavy!) ignition lock, shocks (we saved at least 1.2 kg per corner putting the BC shocks in etc)

The weight list was a lot more than that of course but putting the lexan back in with the aluminium parts etc, a heavier sway bar at the rear, slightly heavier toe control rods and unfortunately went a bit heavier on the wheel tyre combo than the 14's that were on it, a poly box to put the electrics in etc all added a bit of weight back in. All in all a good reduction.
No idea on the actual weight of the car.

Performance is being hard earned but it's a start. On new green tyres (Toyo r888r) and with so many changes we only managed 2 seconds a lap better which was a bit surprising as it handled so much better) so far we think we have the front too stiff and a little bit low. The ass end is a bit unstable under hard braking into corners. The tyres got better each run. The alignment was done but we have some advice to change it a bit.

Power....who knows....but I think it's a bit low....so roll on cams, adjustable gears, cultus manifold, 52mm throttle body....plane head and raise compression. May do a bit of home porting too. Machine flywheel.
Got the box to rebuild as well....plate diff, 4.389 FD etc.
After that we are going to get a bit of track time with a race instructor.

After all that we are really enjoying the project more than any other racing we have done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:08 pm 

Love the build and have subscribed to keep up with progress. If I were to ever repaint my car, orange would be a top choice, not to mention I have had thoughts of doing a two-tone scheme as well. Your project gave me an insight into what each idea would somewhat look like. Keep it up and good track luck!

1994 LSi 'Green Machine'
'94 RHD (Totaled)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 am 

YA LOOKS s**t HOT BUT ALL IN ALL YOU ARE GOING TO RACE IT AND SHE LL GET BEAT UP, YOU DID IT RIGHT, CHEAPEST,QUICKEST , EASIEST WAY TO MAKE UP COLOUR MATCH NEW PANELS. =D>

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 am 

Not a lot of progress lately but when I get home from this trip I'm going to finish the dash setup....get the wipers working as we almost got pinged off the track at the last meet from scrutineering....doh....wasnst raining though. Have to pull the box....few nasty noises.

Still waiting on a price and researching the best bang for buck NA upgrades. I'm considering a megasquirt engine management....(kit) so we can tune it properly....wondering if that might be a helpful and worthy upgrade?

Hey Dattman.....how did your exhaust work out? Looks great. Did you get that front resonator you showed me?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:24 am 

Quote:
Still waiting on a price and researching the best bang for buck NA upgrades. I'm considering a megasquirt engine management....(kit) so we can tune it properly....wondering if that might be a helpful and worthy upgrade?

NA power bump - more Compression, Air and Fuel.
CAMS - item 7 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55036 if they are still available
Air / fuel - Adaptronic ECU takes care of some of it, then either 60mm throttle body or 4 x ITB's (links for both in the Technical FAQ), and maybe just fuel pressure or fuel plus injectors. Depends on what's legal in your class or which class the mods bump you in to. Technical FAQ has more ideas and the dyno page gives some clues.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:18 pm 

Thanks Zedd.
Anything goes in our class but limited by a time...if you go to fast you are bumped up to the next class...1:30 or greater around our local track is RS (really slow) class. we are just inside of it....now will be battling in the SF (slightly faster class) which tops out at 1:24. so we are looking for 6 seconds. Still lots of upgrades and tuning to do.

Now I bought a cultus manifold so I am keen to use that. Perhaps Ill start (local advice from a long time suki racer here) with cams, adjustable cam gears, lighten flywheel, 52mm throttle body and check the current chip the ECU has. I measured the exhaust today....it drops to 41mm tubing twice in its length...so I think a good resonator...two four foot tubes back to a flexible joint back to the resonator and then a good pass through muffler at the back all with 2.25 inch tube would be better. With the box upgrades I have and lots of handling tuning to go Im hoping (also with some driver training) that we can get a few of those seconds. This car is no super racer so we have to try keep the costs real and get the best results for the least money....its already a blowout...lol.
still its the journey with the boy....not the destination. cheers.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:19 pm 

and yes Zedd....understand we need more compression and fuel too!