It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Data logging
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:08 pm 

What's good for a cheap and cheerful data logger? I'm looking for something to log and compare performance between sprint runs so there will be no pretty track overlays. Something with good GPS performance that will accurately show where time has been gained and lost. I guess the ability to tie the log to GoPro video would also be a plus. Not too worried about recording CAN data as my current ECU doesn't have a CAN interface.

It would also be good to know what features people using logging have found useful and what's a waste of space.

Post subject: Re: Data logging
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:06 pm 

Depending on your phone there are some neat apps avail.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:33 pm 

That's a good idea. Given they range between free and about $20 there's not much to loose. If nothing else it'll help me decide on what I need and what I don't need. Might try Track Addict.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:12 am 

I have used Racepak IQ3, not bad to set up and a good display but clunky software, and no real upgrade is on the horizon either.
Now have a MoTec CDL3, a bit harder to set up, but the software for analysis is so much better.

The MoTec colour displays are the way to go though if you can afford them.

IPRA MK3 Gti ~ Mallala 19/11/11 1:23.5915
Sponsored by
Autosport ~ Velo Seats ~ Morpowa Dyno Centre ~ Diamond Concrete Finishers & Polishers

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:58 am 

I'm sure the Motec will be a good product and give professional results. The local reseller here wants 3k for the kit so it's a fairly serious investment. My current ECU only has a serial interface and I also have a Race Technology dash installed. If I was going down the path of options like the CDL3 I'd probably be better to look at a package of ECU/dash/logger so that's why I was really looking at a cheaper standalone logger. Race Technology make a logger ( DL1 ) that would work with my dash but that's 1.5k so again I'm a bit dubious about going down that path.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:31 am 

You can get serial to CAN interfaces, so keep that in mind also. The serial cable still has a Rx & Tx in it. I have helped make one for a C125 Dash and Autronic SMC ECU.

For stand alone stuff, the racepak is a good option, has Universal Sensor Modules (USM) that can be added via their V-Net CAN interface and is alot cheaper than the V-Net sensors that they offer. The USM can accpet 0-5V or 0-12V linear sensors, as well as resistance type sensors, all individually calibrated in the software.

Sponsored by
Autosport ~ Velo Seats ~ Morpowa Dyno Centre ~ Diamond Concrete Finishers & Polishers

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 pm 

Won't the Racepak standalone loggers suffer with the same issue as the IQ3 with the software? I assume you're referring to the analysis software being clunky?

I'm guessing that's where the smartphone based apps will fall down, not having decent analysis software and probably not fast enough sampling.

Does anyone know much about Racelogic?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:57 pm 

Yes, Racepak are the IQ3. Yes software is a little clunky, but if you have not used anything else you will be fine. It just takes getting used to.

Biggest thing with the phone based stuff is the refresh rate and the GPS. Most data loggers now use a minimum of 5Hz upto 10Hz for GPS and around 500bps for data logging.

Sponsored by

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:16 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a dig into Racepaks analysis software and see what it looks like.