It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: GTX - what is normal engine behaviour?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 pm 

OK, I'm on track to hit the 30,000kms for the year - 28K since I got it in Sept. last year and it's given me absolutely nothing to complain about. However, I want to bounce a few things off other owners...

Fuel economy - I get around 7l/100kms. Not bad, but was hoping for better given most kms are on the freeway. I tend to sit between 115 and 120 which I know ain't helping. And no, I haven't replaced the oxygen sensor (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52212)

I run it on 95 octane and it still pings under load. Normal?

Mapping.. I dunno if the ECU has poor mapping or something but it doesn't feel as linear as a GTi or Ignis Sport - kind of hesitates and then takes off at certain revs. Not as much low down grunt or even midrange as I'd hoped. And yeah, it certainly moves if you rev it but it doesn't encourage revving like the other two cars - any one else reckon the GTX feels a bit "flat"? I know gearing doesn't help but I reckon the engine just feels "coarse" and doesn't encourage revving (I thought the same thing about the SR20 in Pulsar SSS). Inevitable byproduct of timing chain and not a belt?

Any common complaints out there or secret tips to release it's inner hot hatch? Like I said, I can't complain, but I just wish it had a bit more character..

Post subject: Re: GTX - what is normal engine behaviour?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 pm 

Despite 1.8L and twin cams the GTX was never a sprightly car like the GTi. I always felt it was pretty effortless, but never seemed urgent (or exciting) to drive like a GTi or IS.
The hesitation does sound abnormal though. If you've tried the usual tune-up tricks then look at the coil packs, which seem to be a weak link on the 1.6 and 1.8 Baleno, and will cause hesitation, and flat performance.

Post subject: Re: GTX - what is normal engine behaviour?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 pm 

The biggest let down to the GTX is the gearing and final drive ratio, in my opinion.
I am sure it would be a completely different car with a 4.1:1 final drive ratio... This can be done with the cwp from a new Swift... I wish I tried this. Oh well.
The 4.4:1 cwp from the Swift Sport will also fit, but I think that may take it too far.

The standard ECU tune did have a flat spot for emissions compliance, this flat spot is exaggerated by the tall gearing.
Despite having a 9.8:1 compression ratio it is fine on normal 91 RON fuel. It made no difference running higher octane fuels due to moderate ignition timing in factory ECU and no knock sensor. In fact both the GTXs I owned were grumpy on first start up if run on anything better than normal 91 RON fuel. N.B. I used 91 RON but never the E10 stuff.

It needs to rev to give its best and the noisy thrashy sounding timing chain detracts from that experience / desire to do so.

Putting in a fresh heated oxygen sensor will help with economy...
If the car has never had its catalytic converter changed it may be at a point that it is causing restriction and detracting from both performance and economy.

Ignition coil packs and coil pack stems can cause hiccups / missing.
It should be easy to tell when it does this.