It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: GTX oxygen sensor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 pm 

Hi folks,

I notice from the Baleno GTX buyer's guide that it's pretty common for the O2 sensor to play up. After racking up a couple of thousand kms already in mine (only got it a few weeks ago) I've been getting economy ranging from 8.5 to 6.6l/100kms. However, given the bulk of this is on the highway, I'm hoping the O2 sensor is contributing to this relatively poor economy. For example, the heavier 2 litre SV21 Camry wagon I putted around in previously once managed a 6.4 doing the same kind of driving.. although just under 7 was more normal.

So do I replace it without checking for fault codes (not easy in a Baleno)? Do you need to use the special grease it mentions? Can you buy a generic O2 sensor or one specifically for that model? How hard is it to do and will the ECU just start using the "new" signal and saving me fuel :lol: ?

Tips appreciated...

Post subject: Re: GTX oxygen sensor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:43 am 

Sorry to bump my own thread, but just thought I'd add something.

I disconnected the oxygen sensor fully expecting a "check engine" light to come on. It didn't, and the car ran the same (which is fine really). What's going on? Should a warning light come on?

And I've taken it to a place that checked for fault codes - said there were none apart from one that said it was running lean.. is there even a fault code for that?!? Not sure I trust them - not their area of expertise...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:26 pm 

rattlyswift wrote:
So do I replace it without checking for fault codes (not easy in a Baleno)? Do you need to use the special grease it mentions? Can you buy a generic O2 sensor or one specifically for that model? How hard is it to do and will the ECU just start using the "new" signal and saving me fuel :lol: ?

You can test the current sensor with a multimeter when the engine is warm. Assuming the GTX uses a single wire sensor you can get a generic Bosch replacement for about $30, and yes the grease is a good idea if you ever want to remove it again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 am 

The GTX has a four wire heated O2 sensor.
I can't honestly say I ever unplugged it to see if a check engine light was thrown.
Being a heated sensor I thought it would get sad if it weren't there, but am not suprised that the ECU doesn't care.

In my previous researching this is the best I was able to find.
It has the correct connector so an easy and simple replacement.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-O2-Senso ... 711wt_1161

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 pm 

In case anyone's interested, ordered a new O2 sensor on the weekend as it wasn't in stock. Disconnected / made sure I could get out the old one out, no worries.. stuck it back in to stop the racket but didn't reconnect the wiring. And yes, there's definitely no "check engine" light buzzing around town but it DOES light up on rare occasions out on the highway once you hit a hill or put the engine under load - it goes away if you back off and re-apply the accelerator (at least until the next hill).

The bummer is that means it's working, so I guess that means I shouldn't expect the new one to improve economy :( New one arrived today, fitted it tonight, will report back with a couple of thousand kms under the belt.

Interesting to note the manual says 5.9 l/100km highway, 10.1 around town! Thirsty little bugger around town at least.. should probably just be happy with my almost boringly constant 7 - 7.1, but a bit pissed the bigger and heavier SV21 2-litre Camry wagon I did exactly the same driving in for a while beats it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:10 pm 

Update - replacing oxygen sensor made no difference to running or economy. Slowing down did :oops: Sitting between 110 - 113 km/h on the freeway drops economy to 6.7-6.8l/100kms, vs. 7.0-7.1 sitting between 115 - 120. Not a lot, but I'm just happy to drop below 7.

On a positive note, I'm actually enjoying the car a bit more. It IS quick enough and handles well, just does it without much drama. And it feels bulletproof. Another coupla years of 35,000 kms a year then the price of Swift Sports might be low enough to start eyeing them off..