It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Bigger brakes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 am 

Hi guys, quick question to see if anyone can help. I currently run standard size baleno gsr brakes. 245mm front and i cant remember what size at the rear now i have braided brake lines, uprated brake pads and discs and 5.1 brake fluid but when braking hard at high speed i feel that they are not upto scratch. I feel that they are just far too small for the job as a Peugeot 107, citroen C1 and toyota aygo all run 247mm front brakes and they are half the size and half the engine :D

i wanted to know if anyone knows of any other make or model that i can swap the brakes from or weather the austrailian GTX model has bigger brakes? i have read of a person fitting honda civic 262mm brakes with an engineered adapter and also read about the ksport big brake kits however these are pretty expensive. i do plan on modifying my car more performance wise and dont like the thought of plenty straight line speed and lack of stopping power.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Bigger brakes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 am 

Paulmcc
what brake pads are you using now?
what size wheels do you have?
How much coin are you looking at spending?

GTP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:08 pm 

They are only the EBC ultimax brake pads. only other performance replacemant i have seen are black diamond predator brake pads. Im running 15" alloys at the moment. Not too sure money wise. im currently working on my engine and plan on turboing in future and obviosly need some better stopping power. I understand that to have the best you have to pay top dollar but im curios to see what othe people run brakes wise. I think honda 262mm or 280mm would be ideal but the 280mm calipers wont fit under my wheels :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:36 am 

Investigate much better pads first. Try Ferodo DS2500. outstanding pad which I think will make almost and road car brake issue a thing of the past. Should be able to get it in suitable shape for the baleno or so close a grinder will fix the rest.
As for alternate bolt on parts I cant help. I have Wilwood on the Justy utilising custom brackets and hoses. easy enough just needs some thought and research.
Plus the price I paid for the calipers was less than re-manufactured standard ones.
Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=46244&start=20

GTP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 am 

that the kind of setup id like ;) look the business lol il look into those pads shortly. get a set for when these ones are worn down enough. shouldnt be too long :) cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:11 pm 

ALL Balenos 1.8 have the same front and rear brake size.The difference is spotted with the USDM Baleno/Esteem which uses rear drums!

You could go for 280mm disks honda ones and use Honda CRV 2lt brake calipers! :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:08 am 

yeah a friend of mine in the us is running rear drums lol now gtpswift i cant find those pads for the baleno, had a look at the suzuki pad range for pads that are close but cant see any :cry: what are the part numbers for those wilwoods you are running? there are a wide range of 262/260mm honda and rover fitment so pretty sure i could find an appropriate disc. quite like the idea of keeping my 15" wheels also ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 am 

I used these calipers
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=8317
part number Z-120-7545

As mentioned I got mine second hand but never used for 180 pounds the pair!
Dont give up on the Ferodos, did you call a supplier? the internet is rubbuish for locating specific things. Talk to someone if you can.

Good luck

GTP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:55 pm 

You can fit 2005+ swift calipers to the front, they bolt right on and open up a range of new pads plus they'll fit under 15" wheels no problem.
Caliper piston is basically the same size as the second generation baleno calipers but it's the availability of pads off the shelf that are the improvement.