It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:37 am 

Location: Hidden Pirate Island A.K.A. Honk Kong, or Gold Coast to some
[YLD80Y] wrote:
Attendence is only an issue when the organiser refuses to take risks and cement any plans. QLD has had a number of very successful cruises in the past.

If people are genuine about putting in the leg work to organise a cruise with solid details then the others can make a genuine decision about coming. Nobody will confirm to show up to a "maybe" event.

quite simply put that is a load of crap, people want the big names organising s**t, but they dont, so therefore they dont care, every time ive put down a complete itinery of what would be happening and 1 car turned up, of a confirmed 12...

its easy to point at the people trying but notice the word there, some of us are trying, not getting any support from members and being basically told to f**k off, we dont want you to even try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:12 pm 

I HAVNT been on a gti cruise as of yet
but i did take my swift on the datsun cruise which started around cronulla and ended up the mountains where a bbq lunch was served for $1-$2 each just sum snags so forth

we also set 5 or so pick up points where maine groups of cars are such as mcdonalds in parramatta,m4 prospect , penrith and so on

also had a great cruise meeting on the m4 eastern creek and a nice drive up too the entrance great day beaches shops and a nice atmosphere and people

race days at oran park arnt too hard too organise either its where all the nissan clubs do theirs

Post subject: an idea from a new comer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:22 pm 

hey

i just registered so the idea might be weak. but how about a cruise to the beach and spend the day at the beach. Or a track day??

:oops: :oops: :oops:

sorry peolpe, i just realised this thread is really old!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 pm 

hmmm... are there many swifts along the Mid North Coast region...??
Or many ppl willing to travel that extra mile or so.. for a cruise...??

Eg... Forster, Taree, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour... etc...

I know of a few from Port Macquarie... But would people be willing to travel here... from both north and south...??

Few mountains to go up... Lots of Beaches/Headlands... etc...??

Would be willing to have a go at trying to organise something.. if there was going to be a general interest...??

Looking forward to see the feedback from everyone... cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:23 pm 

LilDamo wrote:
hmmm... are there many swifts along the Mid North Coast region...??
Or many ppl willing to travel that extra mile or so.. for a cruise...??

Eg... Forster, Taree, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour... etc...

I know of a few from Port Macquarie... But would people be willing to travel here... from both north and south...??

Few mountains to go up... Lots of Beaches/Headlands... etc...??

Would be willing to have a go at trying to organise something.. if there was going to be a general interest...??

Looking forward to see the feedback from everyone... cheers

i think that is a madness idea, i havnt been back to port m since may :(

so many nice places n nice beaches up there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:00 pm 

Hey Chikz an' dudes...

I've spent long periods of time driving through most of vics parks and forrest. Generaly these involve some very unique terain and multitudes of blind corners housing tricky negative and positive corner cambers.

I don't think many people would have a go in there pride pimped Zooks. But we never know ther might be keen contenders for an of road cruise...

Another sugestion I'de like to mention: YES it's been done before but not like this. Mount Macedon at the wright time has snowfall, While my Zook was humming along on all fours Id'e make the trip once or twice a year. Usualy an arival time around 8:30- 9 o'clock is needed but the snow will fall occasionly throughout the early afternoon And by 9 o'clock the whole mountian is / was mine. High beams all the way. Unique flying up the hill in this weather but you gotta have your witts about you and know your limits on the way down cause even heavy compresion and light braking are very good at breaking your entire cars traction and belive me once you start sliding down the icy hill, It will take a miricle to stop the vehicle or re-gain control the later is most appropriate since the roads are very winding a car with no traction could end up a fare way down the side of the hill and it definantly will not be comming back looking like it did in the first place. 8)

A very nice location for photographers and enthusiasts the same is The Yuu Yangs national park. Magnificent back drop at the top of the mount that streches all the way to the horizon.
Yuu Yags have bbq and toilet facilitys, Space for ball game or if you are anything like me...Brittish Bulldogs... There are many things to see near the direct vacinity of yuu yangs national park. walking tracks waterfalls lush green surounds you after aprox 4 to 5 mins walk from park. Lotsa wild life in particular Koala Bears, These koalas are funny in the sence that as long as your staring at the koala, the Koala will return the stare. Cute little blinky bill.

Regards Bush Pig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:30 am 

I noticed you guys have organised cruises to Wollongong before from the photo gallery... Whats the possibility of organising another one in the near future ??? i would definately be interested !

I know of a couple of GTi's in the Wollongong area, but none that go on cruises.... id like to be able to meet other people with GTi's because i feel that i could learn alot from some of the members... plus i feel out of place cruising with 400 + HP skylines, silvias and worked Jap imports.... My Swift cant compete with them ! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:09 am 

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a copy of "CONVOY PROCEDURES" for cruises....

The copy i have now is for 4WD clubs and offroad cruises/events, but can be modified to suit cars and onroad cruises/events...

It basically states that the person who organised the cruise (trip co-ordinator) leads the pack/group at all times and is responsible for maintaining speed limits, road rules and ensuring no persons on the trip are doing anything illegal (excessive speeding,burnouts,physical/verbal abuse to others etc.)

Also, it states that one person who knows the route the trip is taking stays at the back of the pack at all times (tail-end charlie) to ensure all members on the cruise are acconted for.

Please let me know if anyone is interested, or any feedback.

Thanks,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:24 am 

NickG13B wrote:
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a copy of "CONVOY PROCEDURES" for cruises....

The copy i have now is for 4WD clubs and offroad cruises/events, but can be modified to suit cars and onroad cruises/events...

It basically states that the person who organised the cruise (trip co-ordinator) leads the pack/group at all times and is responsible for maintaining speed limits, road rules and ensuring no persons on the trip are doing anything illegal (excessive speeding,burnouts,physical/verbal abuse to others etc.)

Also, it states that one person who knows the route the trip is taking stays at the back of the pack at all times (tail-end charlie) to ensure all members on the cruise are acconted for.

Please let me know if anyone is interested, or any feedback.

Thanks,
Nick

That is the way to go i say!

Great call mate.. the person that organises the cruise leads and another at the back that knows the way too.. so if any get lost there is one to back them up ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:12 pm 

Its an extremely effective way to set up a cruise/trip... My cousin is the Vice President of a 4WD Club and he has organised alot of trips (in which i have been on a fair few of them) that are on fire trails and in national parks etc. where you can be upwards of 14 hours off the nearest asphalt road, so its extremely important that everyone stays in order in the convoy so all cars on the trip are accounted for at all times.

They also use CB radios, scanners and GPS..... But i think for us (on road cruises) hand held UHF's will be ideal as long as people dont use them to talk crap and clutter up the channel.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:04 pm 

ill have a hectic cb in my car if i get a swift before the cruise... ill be able to relay messages back to sydney or up to 80-100km if need be :)

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:34 pm 

hey all, i live in Orange.. I wouldnt mind driving abit to get to a cruise, like preferably in NSW or close to the border.. but i know wollangong, kiama, and nowra real well.. that is an awesome cruiseing road, plents of places to stop and chat.. what dates will the next cruise be?

hope to hear from someone soon lol

cheers 8)

Post subject: Re: Cruise ideas/survey
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:28 pm 

hey guys if ur interested in a cruise to scarborough hotel i should be able to organise something 4 us. i manage cooneys tavern but we also own scarb 2 just a thought, realy nice location with gr8 views also seacliff bridge is always a gr8 drive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm 

yeah go hard i ll join in south coast crusie nice drive we should organise a weekend cruise

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:20 pm 

Just an idea for a cruise day in south east QLD region. i dont know if the idea has been pitched already though...

BIG KART TRACK

Just for fun we can legally race each other without putting our precious Suzuki's at risk.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:09 am 

drumer_z wrote:
Just an idea for a cruise day in south east QLD region. i dont know if the idea has been pitched already though...

BIG KART TRACK

+1

Even though the karts arent very fast. The track is nice and big. I'd be keen for a go-kart day/event.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:35 am 

whitewings wrote:
drumer_z wrote:

BIG KART TRACK

+1

Even though the karts arent very fast. The track is nice and big. I'd be keen for a go-kart day/event.

Has been done before - to Kingston Park a couple of years ago .. lots of work - not as much interest at final event as that expressed by people saying they were coming .. event nearly failed .. #-o

The event was a success even with those odds .. happy to have another one in the future (no matter where) .. keep my title as best kart racer here in Qld!!!!

Upside down, Miss Jane ....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:41 pm 

neo wrote:
The event was a success even with those odds .. happy to have another one in the future (no matter where) .. keep my title as best kart racer here in Qld!!!!

I'd come to that to have a shot at the best :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 am 

A lot of good ideas so far that make good sense.

Perhaps the best thing to do, every single time you announce an event, do everything it's the very first event for at least someone and give everybody a chance to get involved. Even if you arrange several events a year and no-one new turns up in that time, eventually this practice will play out and increase the numbers.

Allow good time between announcing the cruise and the event itself. A short cruise of just a few hours might be best announced 2 weeks ahead if possible, and I say that because many people with busy lives already have a rough idea what social/other activities they could be doing a week ahead. 2 weeks ahead however and most can pencil it in.

For weekend cruises and those requiring considerable travel, stays in campsites/motels, etc, consider giving a lot more notice. People have budgets, may need to organise days or weekends off work, etc. Obviously the further it is, the bigger the destination event is or the more expensive it looks, the more notice is needed. This is especially true if there is a major annual event on at the destination - whole towns can book out accommodation many months in advance.

If there are overnight stays involved, get rough numbers attending and try to arrange group accommodation deals, or point participants to accommodation info like a specific motel/website like http://www.wotif.com.

Keep re-announcing the activities each month/week/few days/the day beforehand to remind people. This will ensure maximum involvement & participation.

Consider (and most get this right) what social activities are at the destination or en-route other than simply a cruise & gather. Is there a band, festival, cinema, restaurant, pub, quirky local fixture, carnival, or other activity going when you get there. Let people know and use it to "sell" the cruise. It helps provide another dimension to the event rather than simply driving to a destination for the sake of the drive.

Lastly, look at the major events happening very close to you during the year and tell everyone on the forum about them - people from all over may want to organise cruises to come & see something your own town or suburb! Become a sort of concierge for them - best pubs, venues, points of interest, activities, etc. Maybe if people are up for it try to arrange local press coverage and get your heads/cars in the paper for a kick.

All of this makes basic sense and most of us know already what works. But we tend to get a bit blinkered at times and switch off expecting people to know already also. New participants then don't stand much chance involving themselves which after all is what organised events like this are all about - increasing the social circle :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:57 pm 

that was a waste of effort newbie.. but any way you should read the 10 tips for organising a redlinegti cruise pretty much says what you just wrote

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next