It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Tassie GTi's
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:43 pm 

Is anyone on here from Tasmania?
Im from the south, but I find these cars are nearly extinct. If I get some good replys, maybe we can do a statewide cruise? I only really know of one down here, and its Turbo'ed so off the road at the moment.

Cheers Simon.

1990 Mk2 GTi - Intercooled, Turbo'ed, LSD, BD10's - Engineered.
1985 Sierra Flat Tray - Gti Powered, Lux Diffed, - Engineered.
1978 LJ80 - Bar Treads, Rag Top - Next Project.

Post subject: Re: Tassie GTi's
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:14 pm 

how much is th ferry ride from melb? maybe a few mainland redliners could go to tassie, hw long would it take to tour tassie cruise style? sounds cool to me...tho im in nsw... :(

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 am 

Quote:
how much is th ferry ride from melb?

I got bored so I did a screen dump of the prices from the Spirit Of Tasmania website.

These are "One Way" prices, according to the website it takes approx 9 to 11 hours from Melbourne to Devonport (Tassie). By plane is just over an Hour! :)
For more info go here http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/

Attachments:
sotprices.gif
sotprices.gif [ 92.6 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:50 am 

I have toyed with the thought of at some stage arranging a cruise to get down there, although figure plenty of warning in advance is the key as it'll cost a little bit. Would be worth it though, and should be good for those really willing to make the effort.

I haven't actually been to Tassie myself, but have always heard good things, and in the little suzuki's, should be pretty fun.

Although i'm flat broke at the moment, I would happily work with other members, look seriously into it and potentially start organising something for when the time is right though.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:41 pm 

Yeah there are some great places down here to drive, and also to see. A week would cover most of the popular things, but if you are keen, I have spent alot of time touring around the state in my wrangler, cause 4wding is my fav hobby. There is plenty to see and do, and some quick windy roads to conquer too!

So any Tassie people out there yet?????

Cheers Superduki.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:56 pm 

There is Tassiemk1 (David) who has a white mk1 gti,

Part of the elite R.G.A.A.E Squad.
Sponsored By Snapper Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:05 pm 

snapper wrote:
There is Tassiemk1 (David) who has a white mk1 gti,

Yeah that's me. I don't usually look on here as there's never any Tassie stuff here (Unless I'm going to the drags again :wink: ). So I'm for a cruise but I'm in Launceston, so it makes things interesting. The only other very active member I know is Burniemk3 obviously from Burnie (for the uniniated Burnie is 60kms approx north of Devonport, where the boat gets in, Launceston is another 100kms south of that then Hobart is 200km's even further down!) but he's usually keen to come out.

If there was to be a Tassie cruise for a week or so let me know in advance I have a pretty good connection I might be able to use to get some great accomodation deals... but I'll have to check that first.

Otherwise the only thing any of us do is hit the drags when they're on and I've got the cash. Good fun and pretty cheap. Plus its nice to harrass the local boguns in their "fast" V6's and V8's (read VS commo's :D ) there are some decent cars out there but that's a different story...

PM me (anyone) if anyone wants to come down for a bit or wants to go for a cruise, will need some heads up though as I have a wife and baby to consider.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:35 pm 

Just for a cruise, I think a week would be overkill, but depending on what was planned as far as activities, we would plan arrival and departure around that. It's more the time to get there and back as well as travel for anyone else interested that will then extend the amount of time needed overall. And this is not just open to Melbourne locals (obviously). For anyone that is further out and interested we can certainly see what we can come up with in Melbourne to try and keep costs down. The more people on board, the better!

In regards to getting a heads up, I think there's plenty of that going on. At least this thread is an indication that there's something in the works, although unlikely to happen any time soon, but something for people to consider and possibly start saving for :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:35 pm 

yeah for sure.

dave, next time tarmacs on, let me know ill come up for a race, I went up to see that 6 second rail car, holy sheet batman!!!! that was unreal!

Anyway, i work for motors so i can probably get us cheap entry or at least some sort of reward!

Cheers Simon!.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 am 

superduki wrote:
yeah for sure.

dave, next time tarmacs on, let me know ill come up for a race, I went up to see that 6 second rail car, holy sheet batman!!!! that was unreal!

Anyway, i work for motors so i can probably get us cheap entry or at least some sort of reward!

Cheers Simon!.

Cheers Simon, I'll let you know. Usually starts late August or September but I'll let you know. Otherwise keep an eye on http://www.dragwaytasmania.net as they post up their calendar on there a month or so before kicking off.

If you can get us a discount that would be great, anyway I can save some $$$ makes it easier to go racing. Also if you'd like to see some of myt racing efforts go to http://www.photobucket.com and search for Tassie_mk1 there's a couple of rounds worth of me at the drags though nothing recent as I didn't race much this past season, not enough $$$ bought too many parts!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:22 pm 

I'm from Tas, but a Baleno driver (but don't hold that against me :lol:) and in the North (Launnie)

Quote:
Otherwise the only thing any of us do is hit the drags when they're on and I've got the cash. Good fun and pretty cheap. Plus its nice to harrass the local boguns in their "fast" V6's and V8's (read VS commo's :D ) there are some decent cars out there but that's a different story...

yep, sounds like town on a friday night, the bogans in their "fast" cars. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:59 pm 

i know this is an old thread but was wondering if u guys still about. im from hobart n have a black mk3 n/a atm would be cool to meet up with a few oter swift owners

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:33 pm 

Might I also just add, that Tasmania is not just a "nice place to go down for a drive" - it 150% justifies the cost of the Spirit ferry - I would absolutely LOVE to get my GTi down there, it is simply the most amazing driving I've ever experienced. Every day, I would find a road that I was like "Wow, this place really is great to drive!" and the next day I'd find a better road - topped off by the trip through the valley near Cradle Mountain - my wife was navigating and we were actually just trying to head the way of Hobart, but OH MY GOD THE ROADS. =P~

In an MX-5 with power steering, my arms still got sore from the twisties, they just go ON AND ON AND ON - and it's totally awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 pm 

Well there's still a couple of us about that I know of, though I'm short a GTi :cry: There's superduki he's got a turbo Mk2 and is down your way, then there's me (still on here but the GTi made way for a family car) and there's also thedozzman who's building up a Mk1 (using bits of my old one :wink: ) Other than that I can't think of any active members. I'm sure they're about though.

As for the roads, they're brilliant! That's why we have a race around them every year (Targa Tasmania) and people come from all over the world to do it! :mrgreen: If anyone ever wants to visit feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll point you in the direction of plenty of great drives or just great places to visit - there are heaps of both!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 pm 

I went to tassie with the missus 2 years ago and drove all around. Amazing roads and had an awesome time there are some really amazing places to see and things to do.

Unfortunately for me, my missus's bad back and my hardened suspension dont like each other all that much so we took her Barina.

Every day i was driving around spewing that i didnt have the gti.

I had talked with a few mates about heading over for a week long cruise but nothing ever really happened.

I cant see why with plenty of notice and planning it couldn't happen.

I am up for it and am willing to put in time to try and organise what ever i can from this side of the water.
I think it will take a lot of planning though and I think some help, particularly on locations in tassie would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 am 

Well if a big cruise don here was going to happen then I've got a good connection that can help with organising places to stay etc or I can, I'd be happy to help out even though I'm no longer in a GTi.

You guys wouldn't be the first ones to do it. When I came over on the boat just last Sunday there was a group of motor cycle enthusiasts making the trip together, about 10-15 bikes in all. So it can easily be sorted :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:27 pm 

nicko wrote:
I went to tassie with the missus 2 years ago and drove all around. Amazing roads and had an awesome time there are some really amazing places to see and things to do.

Unfortunately for me, my missus's bad back and my hardened suspension dont like each other all that much so we took her Barina.

Every day i was driving around spewing that i didnt have the gti.

I had talked with a few mates about heading over for a week long cruise but nothing ever really happened.

I cant see why with plenty of notice and planning it couldn't happen.

I am up for it and am willing to put in time to try and organise what ever i can from this side of the water.
I think it will take a lot of planning though and I think some help, particularly on locations in tassie would be appreciated.

If you organise it mate, I can certainly take a week off work to tour about with you guys in my mk2. I know some killer roads that still get my heart racing after years of thrashing them, and I'm sure tassiemk1 knows them up north!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:32 pm 

pendles wrote:
i know this is an old thread but was wondering if u guys still about. im from hobart n have a black mk3 n/a atm would be cool to meet up with a few oter swift owners

Yeah we are still about mate, I see your turbo'ing yours. Good move. Mines engineered and roadworthy, I did mine at home about 2.5-3 years ago now. I've shat 2 g'boxes and 1 head gasket in that time. Still standard motor, 280k on the clock. It's good for a 14.4 @ 158km/h and 105.4kw atw. Give me a holla if you want a hand or need advice when your doing it.
I currently have:
90 mk2 turbo
93 mk3 n/a daily
85 carry van
85 Sierra flat tray with tassie_mk1's old GTi motor in it, and hilux diffs.

So you could say I'm Hobarts local Suzuki nutter.

Simon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:13 pm 

superduki wrote:

So you could say I'm Hobarts local Suzuki nutter.

Simon.

You sure are mate! If you guys head to any events shoot me a PM. I may not have a GTi but I'd love to come watch you guys do your thing! (or you could "Lend" me the Mk3 :P )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:02 pm 

Hey guys,

Been looking for a thread like this for a while.

Got myself a couple of GTi's, a Mk1 in pieces being rebuilt (Thanks Tassie_mk1 for the parts and manual, been a real help) and a Mk3 thats slowly getting back on its feet as I repair all the dodgy work done to it and upgrade it.

Been seeing quite a few GTi's getting around Tassie (Even Mk1s! - Wow) so the GTi madness is spreading slowly. I'm up in Launceston and looking to find some likeminded Zuki Heads to trade info, etc with.

Cheers.
Simon.