It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 10 tips for organising a RedlineGTi cruise
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:43 pm 

After seeing a number of great cruise ideas fizzle out, I thought it would be good to have a bit of a guide to putting together an event that is hopefully enjoyed by the majority of people who attend. So here are my top 10 tips on cruise organising:

1. If you start something, stick to it.
    The biggest thing to keep in mind when organising a cruise is that once you've announced it, you should be committed to seeing it through! Nobody will show up for a "maybe" event, where things change right up until the night before. They want confirmed details and no nasty surprises, so it isn't a waste of their time and money to show up. Confirm the date, start time and location, route and destination well in advance.
    Ask for help if you need it too, nobody expects you to organise the whole thing on your own.

2. Its all about the people.
    RedlineGTi events are about the community, not the cars. Of course Suzuki's are our common interest, but the cars can't interact with each other, the owners do! If you just want to organise a cruise so you can show off to the world how "fully sik" your car is, then take a spin to your local hot-spot on a Friday night. The reason I say that is because any time ego's have been put on display at RedlineGTi cruises it has ended badly. Cruises that encourage people to talk to each other always seem to work out well.

3. Think about numbers.
    This is a no-brainer. If you're expecting a big group of cars to show up to a cruise, make sure that the meeting spots and cruise routes are obvious and have enough room for everyone. Don't organise to meet in a tiny carpark hidden out the back of the local shops and then take a drive that goes through 93 sets of traffic lights.
    Also make sure that you have an appropriate amount of breaks scheduled along the way for people to catch up. Some of these break points should at least have toilets.
    If you can, have the original meeting point somewhere close to a servo - you can be sure that someone will forget to fill up before they arrive.

4. Cruise route and timing.
    Possibly the most complaints given about a cruise relate to distance and route of the drive. Make it too short and people wonder why they showed up, make it too long and they get agro about driving "forever". As a rule of thumb, about 1-2 hours for the actual cruise route is PLENTY unless the cruise route is particularly fun. Try to avoid bumpy or potholed roads, and roads under repair as well. Some people have spent a lot of money on their Suzukis and would prefer to keep them damage-free.

5. Talk the talk.
    Organisers need to be vocal. Don't sit in the background and hope everyone will work out what the hell is going on! Stand up and make things very clear so nobody is left in the dark - chinese whispers don't work, and result in people being left behind or getting lost. If you're shy or embarrassed about talking to everyone then find someone else to give a shout-out.
    Also remember that handheld UHF radios are pretty common now, so pick a common channel (that ISN'T an emergency one!) and use it.
    Better yet, if you can arrange copies of the cruise route or location of stops and the destination then thats great.

6. Final destination.
    Where will the cruise end up? Make sure that there is something worthwhile at the end of the drive. Whether that is a tourist attraction, a beautiful location, a great view, or somewhere that people can rest and grab some food/drink and maybe a chat about cars. Don't expect people to be happy about driving for a couple of hours to end up nowhere, then have to turn around and drive back!

7. Fun and games.
    Sometimes it is worthwhile to try and come up with something for people to do along the cruise route, if the drive itself isn't particularly exciting. I'll leave the ideas on that one up to you.

8. Keep it in the family.
    This point will be argued by some, but I believe in keeping RedlineGTi events for Suzuki owners and enthusiasts. Why? Because as I mentioned earlier, Suzukis are our common interest. When everyone's mate's brother's cousin shows up with their hero car and attitude it ends up in a big hassle almost every time - mostly because of those heroes who just have to prove their car is better than a Suzuki, or visa-versa.
    Of course some Suzuki owners may not have their zook on the road but still want to attend, then thats always great no matter what car they show up in. It means they are REALLY interested in coming along, even without their Suzuki.

9. Stress less.
    Probably the biggest tip I can give anyone trying to organise a cruise is to keep everything fairly relaxed and hassle free. I know I have said that you need to be organised, but with that organisation you need to have some flexibility. Don't have everything so tightly wound up that if something goes wrong the whole event is turned on its head. Have a couple of ideas on the shelf in case it all goes pear-shaped.

10. You can't please everyone.
    It is just a fact of organising a cruise that you can NEVER please everyone, so don't try! The trick is to listen to the majority of people who are interested in attending and work out what suits them. So what if a few people bi**h and moan? They'll either get over it, or not show up next time.

So there you have it, my top 10 tips on organising a cruise. I'm not saying these ideas are the best way to run a cruise, but hopefully they fill in a few gaps or help you get an event idea out of your head and onto the forum.

There are always other things to think about depending on the type of cruise you're planning, and don't be afraid to put up a post asking for input from everyone - its the only way you'll find out what people want!

Best of luck.

Post subject: Cruise
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:41 pm 

Great post Yldboy thanks for the tips !!!

Cheers
Adam

Part of the elite R.G.A.A.E Squad.
Sponsored By Snapper Engineering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:41 pm 

great post man this will help alot of people including myself :)

does this have anything to do with my eoi cruise??? :P

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Try yelling at it really loudly, or dress up as a ghost and sneak up on it, see if you can scare it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:12 pm 

Kind of. I had been meaning to put something together after I noticed a lot of Sydney cruises that seemed to fall in a heap for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:17 pm 

yeah well to my credit it was only an eoi :P

thats one other tip i would probably add

if your not sure about a cruisebut would like to try and organise post it as an eoi first to see what the response is then you aren't getting peoples hopes up

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Try yelling at it really loudly, or dress up as a ghost and sneak up on it, see if you can scare it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:21 pm 

GT-15-HO wrote:
yeah well to my credit it was only an eoi :P

thats one other tip i would probably add

if your not sure about a cruisebut would like to try and organise post it as an eoi first to see what the response is then you aren't getting peoples hopes up

Yeah thats totally fine. I wasn't trying to have a go at anyone in particular with this thread. An EOI thread is a great way to go because it stops a thread with geniune details from getting cluttered with spam. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:40 am 

NICE.
another thing if your going to organise a cruise make sure you turn up yourself. we have had a few vic people over the years try to organise something and then dont even turn up them selves quite funny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:00 pm 

great post dude good tips thanks heaps.

PATRICK
------------
OMY-4DR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:07 pm 

[quote]Its all about the people.
RedlineGTi events are about the community, not the cars. Of course Suzuki's are our common interest, but the cars can't interact with each other, the owners do! If you just want to organise a cruise so you can show off to the world how "fully sik" your car is, then take a spin to your local hot-spot on a Friday night. The reason I say that is because any time ego's have been put on display at RedlineGTi cruises it has ended badly. Cruises that encourage people to talk to each other always seem to work out well. [/quote]

thats so funny and true :lol:

Post subject: .....Bewitched`s General Observations.....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:35 pm 

My tips (based upin experience)
Makes sure everyone gets INTRODUCED during th cruise...username\car\real name...nothing quaite as funny as having been side by side in traffic with a redliner youve knwon through posts, and yet still being a stranger afterwards (who was that guy?)
Photos: The more cameras, th merrier :D If during th course of a crusie there are say 4 cameras then chances are th event that everyone wanted pics of (such as a cappacino beside a ferrarri on th freeway) will have been taken, and hopefully from a few different perspectives.
Multiple photos of a cruise allow th organisers to cull out and just get th best shots in their debrief\aftermath portion of th cruise thread.
A cruise may last for 2 hours...but after its done all you have is th converstions, pictures and memories...so get as much of these things as you can,while you can :wink:
Group photo makes it handy for attendance, at least then if someone wasnt introduced, they can be recognised (I had a little trouble recently figuring out who was who when it came time to list th participants)
Fall back plan, if th venue is unavailable on th day, you still need an alternative for th attendees, after all, if everyone organised time off, or travelled a great distance, its no good canning th day due to rain or other circumstances.
Flexibility, a cruise i recently went on included a hookup point, and a venue\location....it went so well some participants asked to extend it, add another venue to th cruise route, and we did just that. All enjoyed th extra "mini-cruise" and those that couldnt stick around said their goodbyes and headed home, so there was something for everybody, and no hard feelings were directed at those that couldnt stay for th entire day :)
Hero cars: Its good to attend a cruise and actually see th cars youve seen posted about, in th cold light of day, they may be better than you expected, or they may show you that despite th internet hype, they are still real cars and they arent perfect.
I personally enjoy th inspiration, i dont feel embarressed my car doesnt run 10 second quarters or take out show and shine trophies consistently, because we dont all have Autosalon level vehicles, nor should we feel required to.
It can get mediocre building a car alone, but attending a get together with like minded enthusiasts can be refreshing, reminding you about why you actually started driving a swift\modifying it in th first place :)
Behave, have fun and at th same time, dont be shy :wink: thats my 3 Hard and fast rules of cruise attendance

Bewitched

Attachments:
File comment: Makes it all seem worthwhile when th pictures turn out
100_1051.JPG
100_1051.JPG [ 162.62 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Post subject: Re: 10 tips for organising a RedlineGTi cruise
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:13 pm 

^ could not of said it better myself!

pitty the fezza didnt give it a hit!