It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 3 years on, not many own one?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:11 pm 

I don't often come down this far in the forum, but I'm just wondering why the sx4 has not done too well judging by the lack of posters here?

Post subject: Re: 3 years on, not many own one?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:11 pm 

Im just about to buy one! LOL there is a few SX4 fourms kicking around

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:00 pm 

Same reasons the community of new Swift owners on here is rather small.

1) The sheer volume of Suzuki forums that exist now, thanks to everyone now being an expert at teh intarwhebs
2) The SX4 isn't really an enthusiasts car, just a soccer mum shopping cruiser.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:02 pm 

want to buy a SX4? buy mine!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42309

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 am 

I put a deposit on one once... then the wife got cold feet and got a Mazda 3 instead. Same specs, same price, much better resale.

IMO the SX4 actually drives better (well, except reversing)

A 2008 SX4 is currently $8,800 - $10,600 trade-in, same year Mazda 3 is $10,400 - $12,300 (on rebook)

[edit] ...but the cheapest '08 Mazda3 on CarSales is $16K. Redbook can be a bit off...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 am 

i traded my sx4 in for $13000, and got myself a kizashi xls at may, probably the first owner in aus, got it on hte second day the car release hehehe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 am 

Keigo wrote:
i traded my sx4 in for $13000, and got myself a kizashi xls at may, probably the first owner in aus, got it on hte second day the car release hehehe

how are you finding it?

im trying to talk my folks into getting one :lol:

has to be the sport though :wink:

Bewitched Performance Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 am 

ghostG13B wrote:
has to be the sport though :wink:

Why? It is heavier and slower than the FWD models! If your parents are considering the Kizashi I'd tell them to look at the new Kia Optima - all the trimmings with 30kw more power than the Kizashi for less money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 am 

True Brayden but I think the Kizashi is the best looking of that larger range. Some of the stuff in that range is outright ghastly.
But I would actually get an older Mazda 6 MPS, my mate just got one for $21k, 2007 with 60,000km - great car, great looking, obviously heaps of power, AWD and all the luxuries. Just me though.

pHr34kY wrote:
I put a deposit on one once... then the wife got cold feet and got a Mazda 3 instead. Same specs, same price, much better resale.

Butt ugly though. The older model ones (up until 2008) were fine, but onwards... what the hell.
I suppose the SX4 isn't great looking either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:01 pm 

I recently embarked on a mission to help my mother buy a new car in the SX4 size segment, which only proved to me that SX4 is so far out of its depth in that category that it isn't funny! It doesn't even come close to competing on value for money with the other major players - that being said it seems there's nothing that can really compete with the Lancer SX at the moment, and that's what she bought (sedan, because the rear end of the hatchback is uglier than a hat full of bats arseholes). The 10 year drivetrain warranty is a very nice icing on the cake.

Sadly the Mazda3 has a front end like an open wound. Mum was considering it until I asked her how she would feel after 6 months of opening the garage door every day and looking at it. :lol: She also seriously considered the Honda City, but with 88kw it was very unimpressive to drive. Subaru have overpriced the Impreza, and Toyota too with the Corolla. Wanting to buy from a Japanese manufacturer meant that the Lancer won out quite easily in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Sadly the Mazda3 has a front end like an open wound.

The whole thing is like an open wound! The front is the worst but I can't stand any of it. My mum has one and always go on about how good looking it is and I have to vomit in my mouth.

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Wanting to buy from a Japanese manufacturer meant that the Lancer won out quite easily in the end.

Yeah I always would have been fine with pretty much any of the Japs, and I won't say this has 'changed my mind' but I do consider this:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-a ... er_loyalty

Not a particularly comprehensive study I'll admit, but check out Mitsubishi down the bottom... wouldn't have picked that. I think that study is heavily affected by the SORTS OF PEOPLE who drive the cars - the top 3, IMHO, are the brands of which owners wanna have their car's babies - as in, their car could blow a piston out onto the road at 10,000km old and they'll say "Oh yeah but the rest of the time it's really reliable" - so, in my view, those cars' drivers will rate their car higher, it doesn't necessarily reflect quality... but then I would have thought that about Ford and Holden too... evidently not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:13 pm 

Brand loyalty comes down to two things - experience and conditioning. In mum's case she wanted Japanese because she's had great service from her two Balenos, and has heard nothing but awful things about the costs involved in servicing and maintaining European cars beyond the first 3 years. Similarly any other Asian built cars (Korean, Malaysian, etc) were knocked off the list due to a history of poor build quality and poor resale. Obviously Hyundai are now producing world-class vehicles these days, but it is difficult to put faith in a company that once produced the Excel. ;)

Sure a Toyota or Subaru would have been nice, but when you can get a Lancer SX on the road for under $20k with alloys, full electrics, decent build quality and a gob-smacking 10 year warranty it makes the choice pretty easy! Heck I'm even looking at one now and I've been loyal to Suzuki for my entire car owning history!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:09 am 

Yeah I don't disagree.

I didn't realise Lancers were that cheap though.

When I was telling a mechanic I know about those findings I said "Subaru topped the list and Mitsubishi..." and he immedately went "WHAT?!" thinking that I was going to say they came second, and when I said they came last he said it didn't surprise him for when he's working on them - really stupid engineering choices all over the place apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:06 pm 

Yes the V6 in the Magna was a good example of poor design - having to remove the head to change the rear spark plug bank? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:09 pm 

Maybe it's the curse of the J series engine. It seems that all sales with anything J series seem underwhelming.

Wonder if the sales would have been any different if the domestic model had an M in it :-k

My problem with the SX4 is that I don't mind the hatch but it'd only buy it was AWD.. and I hate the sport X-over look you are forced to buy with the AWD. If you could easily reverse the AWD crossover mods to make a hatch it would be much more appealing IMHO.

It's like the Grand Vitaras, you can't get the luxury pack in diesel (???) and th 2 door only comes with the J series J24B which has little to no towing capacity.

They need leather + diesel option in the luxury edition, and a V6/diesel option in the 2 door.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:33 pm 

Honestly I don't think an M series engine would make a lick of difference to sales of the SX4. The biggest problem is that it is uninspiring in every aspect - bland as bat s**t.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm 

I got the wife to test drive one two years ago when she was shopping for a new car.
It truly was uninspiring. She rated the i30 higher, and eventually bought a two year old Golf diesel instead because of the build quality (value for money).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 am 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
Yes the V6 in the Magna was a good example of poor design - having to remove the head to change the rear spark plug bank? :lol:

Yeah he mentioned that exact problem actually - though he didn't mention removing the HEAD? Just the manifold - but still a pain in the arse, so Mtisubishi had recommended changing the front bank's plugs every 20,000km or whatever the normal amount is, but the rear bank they' used platinums and recommended every 80,000km because of having to do heaps more work... Haha, why not just get around the design another way?

About the SX4 - my boss, who was 28 but on his Ps and reminded me of David Brent (always trumping up how good he was, always talking as if his life experience was vast) had driven about 3 cars in his whole life - a Commodore, an Accent and his Hyundai Tuscon (4 cylinder) - MAN he was a tool haha (start rant) - he would just pull theories out of thin air, like that the SX4 'went like a bat out of hell' - he'd say "Gee they're ugly, but they go like a bat out of hell."

I'd just sit there and think "Riiiiight."

He also said his Tuscon 4 cyl would not just beat, but ROAST his V6 Commodore. This is the sort of intellect I'm talking about.

So then when he got his Accent it was GREAT fun, him telling me how it's stupid that my GTi is called a GTi since it wouldn't even beat his Accent. "Why wouldn't it? Pretty sure the GTi would win actually."
Him: "Nah, what have you got a 12 year old 1.3 and mine has a 6 year old 1.6?!"

Yeesh, some people are just destined for stupidity I guess. /end rant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm 

The reason I point out the M series is that I think it is just a completely different engine to drive.

The J series doesn't feel 'exciting' no matter how hard you wring it's neck (in my experience). Happy to have someone give an example to the contrary.

I haven't driven an SX4 yet but will likely take one for a spin just for the comparison (want to see what the AWD is like).

In saying all this, they seem to have a fairly solid following in other regions.. whether that is because they ship with the M series, or the other regions are short of Jap hatches.. well.. I guess I can't answer that.

Seeing it in Top Gear US is pretty refreshing and I don't mind the look of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm 

bzchi wrote:
The reason I point out the M series is that I think it is just a completely different engine to drive.

The J series doesn't feel 'exciting' no matter how hard you ring it's neck (in my experience). Happy to have someone give an example to the contrary.

All Suzukis should just come with G series engines, no matter what :wink:

Grand Vitara - G30 or so, new Swift - G16B, SX4 - G20B, Kizashi - G24B etc.

It's the only way. j/k