It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Making the swift 4wd with jimny or sx4 running gear?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 am 

Hi everyone,

Im looking for some advice about compatability betwean jimnys or sx4s rear running gear into the suzuki swift 2005 -2012

I'm raising a subject I'm sure many have wondered and where DMW dave may have dabbled before going onto deciding to use the evo and its 4wd running gear.

So my question is for my swift which is running a custom turbo kit, with lowish boost atm, but in the future will be adding more! And with that brings up the idea of faster launches so with a top hp in mind of about 230hp is there a way to use the Jimny's gearbox in the swift and use the jimnys running gear to hook up the rear? Or perhaps using the sx4s?

I know replacing m15s into the place of m13s in the jimnys by 4wd jimmy fans isn't uncommon so the gearbox must be compatable (maybe with mods?) But it makes me wonder if the rest can be fitted?

On a side note if your wondering I've gone down the route of importing the swifts 4wd running gear from overseas (Europe mostly) and it looks more costly than worth (France offered 3400 Euros + shipping?!) But especially when I enquired whats the max recommended power to run on the running gear is 180hp atw (where they know this I dont know) but all that opens a new topic so im focusing on more localised parts as I keep finding unless I travel its to complicated.

Cheers Joshua

Post subject: Re: Making the swift 4wd with jimny or sx4 running gear?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:48 pm 

Jimny driveline is completely different. Find one and look under the bonnet, you'll see what I mean.
You could feasibly adapt the setup from an SX4, but there's two pretty good reasons why you wouldn't:
1) The AWD system is not like a WRX, EVO or Skyline. It is a cheap, weak, crownwheel driven design that only delivers power to the rear wheels when the front loses traction. There's no centre diff, no active torque split, or any of the stuff that makes owning an AWD car fun. The Suzuki system is designed for safety.
2) The cost and effort of converting a Swift to AWD using SX4 gear would be substantial, and afterwards you've got something that is basically just an SX4 anyway, so why not just buy an SX4 in the first place? :lol: