It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Any new 2016 Baleno love here?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:35 pm 

Hello,
Well it looks like I am soon to be back in a Suzuki, a new 2016 Baleno GLX Turbo...
Is there any love for them here?

Post subject: Re: Any new 2016 Baleno love here?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:14 pm 

Hi Mate,

Congratulations. Please give us a write up!
itsdamo wrote:
Is there any love for them here?
Not from my corner really... I've still got the JDM beast but also have a nice Euro for when things need to be civilised.

Welcome back all the same though! :D

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:50 pm 

Thanks, yeah it is being acquired as a novated lease car for daily driver duties. I recently moved to the country and have a 140km daily commute... This will take the burden off my Renault Sport Clio which has been performing this duty admirably, it can than return to an easier life of not being relied on for such use, on often poor quality roads (rutted and pot hole filled) and kangaroos... The Clio has Koni yellows and it soaks up the awful roads, but I prefer not ruin it with such continued use...
Something cheap, ecomical and reliable is needed...
Enter the new Baleno.
As an auto the wife can also use the Baleno, however we have the Tarago for main family duties.
The new Baleno was going to be white, but blue was preferred, so blue it will be... Happy Wife and all...
It is only available as an auto, but it is a conventional auto with torque converter, not an EDC style which I refuse to own, regardless of the make...
The six speed auto behind a turbo engine makes it less woeful than you may expect.
It will have a few accessories:
1. Protection Pack: Carpet Floor Mats, Front Weathershields, Bonnet Protector, Headlight Protectors and a Cargo Mat.
2. Tow bar
3. Premium speaker upgrade
4. Tint on front windows, others are already tinted as standard.

I quite like it, it is well equipped with many mod cons...

My major groan is the very small 37 litre fuel tank... But the economy of it should still net a half decent range.

Interestingly the new 1.0 booster jet motor has more power and torque than an old 1.6 Baleno and almost the same power and a touch more torque than an old 1.8 Baleno GTX, but at lower revs given it is a turbo... The new Baleno GLX Turbo is certainly NOT fast, but it doesn't feel totally useless...

I will report more and post some pics when it is delivered...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 pm 

Welcome back Damian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:05 pm 

Had a look at one about a month ago while we were shopping for a new car.
Didn't mind it as you seem to get good value for money. Has a decent amount of legroom in the back and the boot is a good size for a small car. Auto only #-o killed it for us as we were after a manual.
Ended up with a Skoda Yetti 1.2T 6 speed manual with all the bells and whistles instead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:34 pm 

My car has finally arrived at the dealership...
If all goes well with accessory fitting and pre-delivery I should have it by the end of next week...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:48 pm 

So my family were in Goulburn this afternoon and got to see my new car before me... boo hoo!
Pick-up is booked for Friday...

Here is my little boy with it...

Attachment:
File comment: My boy with big blue
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG [ 79.73 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:16 pm 

Hello,
The new Baleno now has 500kms on the clock...
It is really quite a nice thing, it is a vastly different car to the Clio.
It is quieter, less wind noise, less road tyre noise, less engine exhaust noise, softer and more compliant suspension, etc. and as such doesn't feel as though it is going as fast as it is... perhaps also to do with distance from the ground..., the low down turbo torque makes it always feel adequate and much quicker than you may expect.

It is more comfortable on the less than perfect roads and is capable enough up to the legal limits... obvioulsy you can not lean on it as you can in the Clio.
Only a couple of times where it shifts down from 6th to 5th, or 4th for the bigger hills... Clio holds 5th the whole time on the same hills, with cruise on... but it does rev higher at the same speeds.
The Baleno's automatic gear shifts are smooth and it feels refined.
The cruise control is not as intuitive and easy to use as the Clio...,my initial gripe... perhaps just a familiarisation thing.

I am still getting used to how much throttle is needed from a standing start... i.e. slow start vs. quicker start.. There seems to be an intial drive by wire delay / lag if you only press gently... it also changes up to second gear very quickly if you are gentle on it, making it feel slower as it proceeds with a slow but steady surge riding the turbo torque....
Turning left at a roundabout near work I think I experienced my first standing start where it held 1st gear... it actually suprised with the vigour at which it took off causing me to ease off the throttle... It actually sounded cool in doing so...

The infotainment system is nice enough., but...
For some reason the clock on the infotainment system won't hold the correct time... it is as though it forgets or doesn't count the time when the car is turned off. I will mention it at the first service.
Even with the premium speaker upgrade the sound quality and volume is, at best, fair.
It could do with some sound deadening in the front doors and some amplification... it is easy to turn the unit to max at highway speeds and it is not loud.

It Is achieving a 5.4L/100kms average... already better than the Clio's ~6.5-6.7L/100kms... No suprises there... the Clio has a 50L fuel tank vs. the Baleno's 37L so it is still able to achieve a slightly better range than the Baleno.

Loving the functional aircon in the Baleno... the Clio's aircon died on the first warmish Canberra day, some weeks ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am 

Congrats damo

I have always liked the front treatment on the new baleno.