It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: G13B rebuild guide
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm 

Hi everyone,

Just joined this forum, look forward to learning loads!

Got a G13B (DOHC) that I want to drop in a mini. I wanna check the engine over and maybe rebuild clean (has 98800 or so miles on the clock, run fine bar some tappet noise), cos it's nice to start fresh :)

I've been checking out briefly the Technical Reading post, found here (https://sites.google.com/site/suzukiswiftinfo/) for a whole bunch of manuals, but I'm hoping you very experienced guys can help me a bit too...

Looking for pointers to some good reading material on the subject of G13B (and general engine) inspection and rebuild, and especially specific things to check out on a G13B (I'll keep hunting this forum, but any help is much appreciated)...

Or even better a solid comprehensive inspection and rebuild guide that my google skills have failed to find (I keep falling asleep on the Youtube vid lol), with all the important things to not miss (I'm not privy to half assed engineering)?

Any thoughts on ODB II vs ODB I conversion (worth it? (I like diagnostics :) ) or stick with stock ECU, which I may have inadvertently fried welding the GTI floor pan with the battery connected...)

And any absolutely worthwhile upgrades worth considering in the process (looking for reliability more than crazy power... a mini only weighs 700kg!)?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers
S.

Post subject: Re: G13B rebuild guide
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:47 pm 

Start with the Swift Technical forum - 'Start Here - FAQ'. Search works well IF you know what question to ask. FAQ will keep you busy for a while and has a bit of structure to get you started.

Search RedlineGTi for GTi and Mini

OBD question probably not relevant (not in Australia anyway) as the ECU uses a Suzuki protocol.

MK1 GTi only weighs 750 KG's, MK2 and MK3 are a bit heavier 8)

Last edited by 86mk1gti on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

Also look on youtube and use search string 'Suzuki swift gti engine rebuild'. Some videos to view.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 am 

Thanks for your replies

So many threads on here I feel like I'm looking for needles in a humongous haystack :lol:

For mini conversions, 16vminiclub.com is my bible :cool:

A lot of the Swift GTI manuals/download links seem to be broken unfornately.

There's a few good channels on youtube for those who are curious:
Boxwrench:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA8m2VwzjXzX7KFDvfZk9fA
But I wish I could find the full DVDs

Pete's garage:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCft4zGZ-FKG-hgiw_yulNxQ
Some good tips on engine inspection...

And yeah I found the swift gti engine rebuild videos... it's mostly lego, with grease :-D

I'm really looking for the finer points of G13B (K?) inspection and rebuild, things not to miss, regular pitfalls, you know, the kind of stuff an experienced builder would know from years of blood sweat and cursing, Oh and engine specs, specifically part and assembly tolerances and any other manufacturer data relevant to the subject (torque settings of course - I use to have the workshop manual but I lost it - anyone got any working links for phII ('96) ?)

Cheers
S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:34 am 

Hi OP,

Welcome to the forum. First up, as mentioned, EVERYTHING you are looking for can be found either here or on a couple of other forums. I get the fact that you are after experienced answers, however you will get more kudos if you do all the initial research yourself and then ask specific questions if you cannot find answers.

I was in the same place, I have a Mk1 G13B, I have spent HOURS finding these links I am about to share with you. You are welcome to my hard work, just return the favor :D

Some Manuals:
https://sites.google.com/site/suzukiswiftinfo/
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=5040

My engine is not going into a Mini but it has been done over and over so I'm sure you will find the answers you need.

Good luck with the rebuild and make sure you do a thread "In The Build" so we can keep an eye on it. It's probably where you will get the most help with the Mini work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:43 pm 

Yeah I get that, it's a community here, we all share and nobody likes a freeloader, so I definitely appreciate your help and I intend to share back in any way I can

Work is sucking up most of my time, so I don't mean to coming across as lazy, but every now and then finding anything that can speed things up is just an awesome blessing. Thanks Howsie :)

I remember years back finding a post on one of these forums from a guy who documented a full rebuild of his engine, with solid approval for those respected for their experience. Lost the link ages ago though... If I can find it again, cross reference with all the other solid info, and knock up a concise how to it, I'll be happy to do that for the next guy looking for answers and share it here :)

A nicely written general engine rebuild guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Rebuild-an-Engine

Cheers
S.