It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Turbo help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:50 am 

I'm doing a turbo build on a 1.6 baleno engine with a gti head that's going into a gti. Is it best to rebuild the head even if I find one in good condition? Gonna be running 10psi of boost

Post subject: Re: Turbo help
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:39 am 

For peace of mind I'd say it's worth the rebuild, but if you want to roll the dice that's up to you. 10psi shouldn't stress things too much but it wouldn't be a nice feeling (or cheap) to have the head go south because it wasn't what it was cracked up to be.

At the very least I'd have to checked out by a machine shop.

Good luck with the build. Would love to see more details of it in the "in the build" section!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:41 pm 

If you run the 1600 and GTi head, the fueling for a GTi will be different to that of a G16 so a chipped ECU just wont cut it. An aftermarket ECU then would be on the cards. Pity to build a motor and have it blow because of incorrect fueling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:10 pm 

Thanks guys, yeah for peace of mind I'd say it's worth it and probably put some turbo cams and better springs in.
Would u by any chance know of someone selling an ecu for the gti, Australia region?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:49 pm 

If you're only going low boost I wouldn't worry about changing cams or springs. Still get it checked out, maybe new stem seals. Put the money towards an a/m ecu and tune instead.
I'm still running stock cams and springs (albeit in a ported head) with 20psi and car drives/performs fine. Not sure I'll ever bother to go to a different cam set up, maybe the extra lift cultus ones but I'd rather put that money towards a new turbo and manifold first.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:42 am 

The guy that's helping me do the build said they help build boost quicker so I'll probably install them when I put a bigger turbo on down the track.

Do any of you know the compression ratio with a 1.6 block and a gti head on top?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:37 am 

Modern turbo compressors (like garrett GTX series), a boost controller with mapping to hold it closed until you are close to target boost and then snapped open, clever fuel and ignition timing in map as you are spooling the turbo, well thought out piping (size and path), properly sized TB and intake manifold and properly sized well designed intercooler will all do what you need in that regard.

How big do you want to go? A GTX2860 with the bigger bottom end will make good power (200kW+) if engine built well and head sufficiently modified to flow.

I have a 1.3 DMWDave built engine with older GT2860 and cultus cams for 216kW on E85. Have a look at Zuboo's Orange GTi build.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:59 pm 

Flying grape is there much difference between the gtx2860 and the gt2860r in your experience?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:05 pm 

Flying grape, I just wanna have some fun, nothing serious but is good enough to handle 10 psi without breaking 15000km's later

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:17 pm 

Can't comment on the g16 bottom end as mine is g13b, but I'm running 20psi with pretty much stock bottom end bar vitara pistons. Head is pprted but stock cams and springs and it has over 70k km on it and still going strong. 215ish whp from a decent tune on an adaptronic ecu running 98. Using a td04 it spools from about 3000rpm, full boost around 3500 or a touch over. Compared to a few other setups with cams and a few other upgrades, mine isn't much different until it gets up in the higher rpms.
So for a bit of fun a basic setup is plenty for you. Can always upgrade when the 140ish whp isn't enough anymore lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:23 pm 

Yeah I'll be running a td04L turbo. The guy suggests to run forged pistons and rods coz of the longer throw it has in the g16b and that its a bit rougher in higher rpm. So I don't know if its worth it coz just 10psi but if I want to bump it up I'd have to upgrade them.

Then the pistons I need would have to raise the compression a bit because it was too low that another guy said when u use the gti head with the 1.6 block.