It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Head gasket going...repair or move on
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:55 pm 

I'm just gutted my mechanic has confirmed that my ignis sport has an internal coolant leek. I have been quoted $2000 for the repair.

It started when the engine light flashed and I pulled over to see the coolant overflow tank had not been reconnected after a service. It was an honest mistake so I just bought some coolant and move on. Thereafter I noticed the coolant was dropping again and I did a test smelling exhaust gas in the coolant overflow tank. The oil fine no coolant has flowed in. I don't know if the head is warped but I have been driving it for a month in this state before realizing the coolant loss issue. The engine overheat light has come on twice, both times I pulled over straight away.

I've spent $1000 this year on fixing the Aircon and $500 on ignition coils so I'm stuck between cutting my losses or spending more. Anyone else who's been through this or has any suggestions I would appreciate some thoughts!!

Post subject: Re: Head gasket going...repair or move on
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:59 pm 

good money after bad?
How much do you like the car? Answer this and it will help determine your course.
What would you replace it with? what would that cost, If its new it will be lots more than repairs on a know entity. If its second hand you could be in the same boat in a weeks time?
I gather you don't do the work yourself?
Before my first swift I had a Mk1 VW golf. spent every cent I earned making it run and keeping it there. traded it on a new swift and spent every cent I had on repayments and modifying it. ended up doing 330,000km's many track days over 13 years. so new might be wise...but no suzuki has ever been as bad as a VW

GTP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:03 am 

I would not risk changing the HG after overheating it twice, my suggestion is find a good second hand m15a they are cheap on ebay with a warranty. Price could og up if head is warped or goes soft. The M series block and heads have a very soft alloy composition to boot.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... e&_sacat=0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:25 pm 

beyondtool wrote:
I have been quoted $2000 for the repair.

M18A conversion. 8) :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:58 pm 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
beyondtool wrote:
I have been quoted $2000 for the repair.

M18A conversion. 8) :twisted:

This! As long as you're happy to keep the car obviously..

As already mentioned, buy another used car and possible have the same issue next week/month/year, buy new and spend lots of money but have a reliable car ( depending on what you buy)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:42 pm 

Id go M16a crank and 86mm sleeved setup
http://s90racing.com/products-page/slee ... ved-block/

the engine will be stamped M15a but 2000cc :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:46 pm 

Well I still love the car and it's setup the way I like rims, stereo, tidy inside. Only has hail damage and the paint is just starting to peel on top. Rear brake discs are going to need replacing soon.

My replacement option would be a Swift Sport, but wife has categorically told me I can't get one. She wants me to get another Corolla like the one she drives :oops: .

Anyway so the car has been chemiwelded to buy some time, but I am looking at an engine swap. The coolant mechanic said I caught it early and it's not at a major stage yet so the chemiweld should hold..for awhile at least.

If anyone has some experiences to share or things to look out for it would be appreciated. Also looking for a good place to do the install Brisbane or Gold Coast. I will not be doing the work myself. The car is registered NSW but I'm not sure of the legal requirements/limitations for an engine swap.

Also is a Swift M15A engine a straight bolt in, or other there other things to consider to get it running nice with the Ignis? Same question with an M16A or M18A, would I need a new ECU to match?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:26 pm 

have a mechanic replace the head gasket. easy job, nothing major really. much easier than engine swap, like for like or alternate and much cheaper than a corolla
GTP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:51 pm 

I would say from my current understanding that a head gasket done properly is a major job. The engine needs to be inspected, checked for cracks or warped head, possibly machined etc.. and then you have the question as to why the gasket went in the first place (though I have my possible reason). Considering it's got 235,000 kms on the clock I'm not convinced it's worth keeping the current engine when this would be a good time to replace it from a cost perspective alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:49 pm 

My last car had over heated one too many times and the alloy went soft and as a result the head kept lifting under boost. Not enough to over heat again, but just enough to push the coolant out or pop hoses.

I'd see this as an excuse the throw more money at it.

Any m series motor will bolt in directly, management on the other hand, aftermarket ecu's aren't all that expensive these days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 am 

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but..

A swift M15A engine runs at a 9.5:1 compression ratio, but the M15A used in the Suzuki Ignis has a higher compression ratio of 11.0:1. What is going to happen if I put a swift engine in the Ignis? Will it basically just adjust the compression ratio because I am using 98Ron fuel and the Ignis ECU? Are there any other issues with increasing the compression in an engine that was used in a swift..or is this just going to be within Suzuki spec?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 pm 

beyondtool wrote:
Will it basically just adjust the compression ratio because I am using 98Ron fuel and the Ignis ECU?

The compression ratio is determined by the mechanical specs of the engine, it isn't something that can be changed by fuel or electronics. If you put a standard M15A in your Ignis it will have 74kw compared to the 86kw version factory fitted to the IS. Given the M series motors are interchangeable you could go with the 92kw M16A from a Swift Sport.

The ECU might give you some grief, but there are piggy-back options, or installing something like a Haltech or Adaptronic that will work with VVT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:05 pm 

Yeah that's what I thought so they are different versions of the same engine. Looks like a M16a it is. Unless I can source an Ignis sport engine somewhere near Gold Coast/south Brisbane.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:06 pm 

you will need engineering for any capacity or power going over stock just something to consider

these engines are very soft so 235k should be as mentioned time for a change of heart

M15a I posted from ebay is a straight swap, other option is to get one from a you pull it wrecking yard for 150-250 then pay to have it fitted.

M16a is not a cheap engine from the Sport so you will be spending more inc engineering

M13a can be had for peanuts as well and if its just a daily the KISS theory go for low km m15a and save your money tp build up slowly in your own time and as money comes, your original m15a for M16a top end, crank and re sleeve your block for 86mm, new slugs, grout it up and get H beams rods for 100kw and probably around 2000aud if you are willing to do some basic assembly in your own time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:05 am 

Yeah I'm not so keen on spending thousands and going backwards with a cheap swift M15A. Car is slow enough as it is :lol: And going for an M13A :shock:

I have a four year old so I don't get 'my own time' these days to work on cars :cry: .

Getting a quote for engineering the car engine swap in NSW, according to RTA's site there's only one person near me and another two people over an hours drive away. I suddenly have that feeling of dread after reading a few horror stories about the thousands people are getting charged for engineering. So used to old QLD where this type of job is usually done for a carton of beer and a bottle of bundy.

Anyway I'm a noob of this engineering stuff but after reading though this http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roa ... ations.pdf
Quote:
An engine that is not of an original family of engine for the series of models, or any
engine more than 20% larger than the largest original optional engine for that series.

The M16a swap is under the 20% (1.5 to a 1.6). Would an M16a be qualified as the original family of engines? Or does the Ignis have to be sold with a variant that includes the M16a engine? As in do I have to get this mod engineered at all? Anyone else have any experience with engineering a car?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:13 pm 

I'm sure many of you are probably nodding your heads at this but I have spoken with an engineer regarding the 16A engine swap under NSW legislation:
Quote:
One of the biggest issues faced with engine transplant are to ensure that still meet with the required emissions standards for the vehicle, Unfortunately there are only two RMS approved testing stations for emissions and they are located in Botany and Penrith .

So to overcome this issue you need to ensure you use all of the donor vehicles engine management and any emissions equipment, This way we know if it was acceptable in the original donor vehicle it will continue to comply when fitted in your vehicle .

Anyway, quote for licensing was under $500 which wasn't too bad, but I would need to transplant all the emissions equipment and the Swift Sport ECU. And my insurance would probably go up...not looking a terribly cheap option now :cry:

The good news is that I have two potential used Ignis Sport engines to choose from so I'll probably just pick the lower Km one.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:23 pm 

You're right, the M16A falls within the 20% bracket that does not require certification, and would simply need a change of engine number with the RTA, which makes emissions a non-issue, assuming you had a suitable ECU solution.

Obviously the easiest solution is the one you've landed on, an identical replacement engine. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:11 pm 

m16a with original m15a stamping would never be an issue :D I dont suggest those things though as legal practice just a good idea :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:16 pm 

I miraculously sourced a bargain Ignis sport engine on gumtree of all places and it's getting fitted today. Hopefully I get a few more years out of the car. If anyone is interested in the old engine let me know. It was running like a dream but leaking coolant very slightly over 4K revs. Could be a good project for someone as it may be fixable I just don't have the time or inclination to mess about with it.