It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Sub and amp question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 am 

Gday
just asking im gonna put a 2 10 inch subs and a amp in my sedan just 2 questions
my battery has the original battery clamps would i have to change them over for a bigger battery and also the wires that connect them or can i just leave it and it would be fine
next question what wattage amp type u recomend i use
cheers

Post subject: Re: Sub and amp question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:24 am 

1. The standard battery is quite small, but usable. You can o-ring terminate the power cable and run it off the clamp bolt. (You could go down the path that I took with mine, but I spent over $500 to do it. New battery, new terminals, 4ga. Cable to a secondary battery in the boot, then wired to the amps)

2. Can't tell, as you didn't mention what subs you have planned to use. I'd go with one that has enough rms/peak wattage to keep your subs happy though.

Post subject: Sub and amp question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:43 am 

Cheers for that i think i better go for the standard battery one cant really afford to do all that actually trying to save for a set of mags my sub and amp installment is going to be the same type of idea as yld80 had on his maroon gti sedan not quite sure what wattage n all that im using fusion 10 inch sub
cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:31 pm 

On the back of the magnet it'll have the model number for the sub. It might also tell you the rms and peak wattage. If not, google it up.

The reason mine has a twin battery is 1. Don't have to bonnet-to-bonnet jump cars, 2. Convenience (if I want I can disconnect the 4ga from the bonnet and run my amps directly from that whilst the car is off, and not worry about my car being completely flat. And 3. Running a fairly large system was causing my lights to dim out while driving. That has been rectified with the twin batteries and a larger alt.

Also looks more cleaner imo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 pm 

Sounds like you did twin batteries for wank factor more than anything else...

You should have no problem with voltage drop if your amps are wired properly and you have a decent battery (I've seen 10,000 wrms on a single battery with no issues) .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:45 pm 

Pauly wrote:
Sounds like you did twin batteries for wank factor more than anything else...

You should have no problem with voltage drop if your amps are wired properly and you have a decent battery (I've seen 10,000 wrms on a single battery with no issues) .

'Cino stocker. 330CCA iirc. mix that with a 35A stock alt = issues.

Currently got a 540CCA with a 560CCA Secondary. secondary is currently in a commodore though (VR's dont have a damn key-barrel on the door.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:10 pm 

I had a 700wrms 2ch amp wired at 2ohm running a 800wrms 12" sub and a 400 watt 4ch amp for the speakers in my old cino on a stock sized battery with the stock alternator. I didn't have any major problems with voltage drop, like I said, wire it properly and you should have no issues.

Op, you'll probably need to fit larger terminals if you go with a larger battery, the posts are pretty small on the stock battery. You will need to add another earth cable, 2ga would be ideal. Would also be worth fitting a gti alternator for a bit of headroom if your going to have the stereo up all the time.

As for amps, you want match the amp output to the subs or speakers they will be powering.
I like to run amps that put out more power than the speakers/subs are rated for, saves the amp from clipping the frequencies and popping the speakers or subs, sound ends up alot cleaner aswell.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 pm 

fyrestorm is right, my amp drains a lot of power when i have my steryo loud and it makes my leds flicker, not too much but its noticable if you stare.
its not just my car though, plenty of peoples cars.

green 97 gti(sold)

The Phantom(sold)

CONVO RACING

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:18 pm 

Voltage drop low-mid range setups are likely caused by a bad earth or incorrect wiring.

Do it properly and it will be fine. This means soldering with good quality solder and proper technique, using proper gauge wires and making good solid grounds, while using just enough cable.

Voltage drop under load is likely caused by too much resistance in the system. Having more cable than required, using incorrect diameter cable, poor quality cable or a bad join in the circuit can create a hell of a lot of resistance.

Suzuki Swift GTi 93'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:39 pm 

Exactly my point.