It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Amp and Sub install
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:20 am 

Heyy guys, new to this forum, i was just looking for some advice on soundsystem install. I have a 98' swift 5 door.

for installing the amp, is there a factory hole in the firewall for me to run the power wire or will i have to drill. I tried taking out the glovebox and searching around for any unused holes but i couldnt see any and im a little uncertain about drilling incase i hit the gas compressor for the A/C unit.

Also, what are the best speakers to use, i dont want to spend too much money as this is just a temp car till i get my full licence. the stock speakers are ripped. also are there any rear speakers?? i saw the wiring for it but i dont see any actual speakers themselves

any help appreciated guys :D

Post subject: Re: Amp and Sub install
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:44 pm 

look on the firewall, there are rubber grommets everywhere. run the wire through one of them.

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:30 pm 

You could also pull off the left front wheel trim and run the power cable from the battery and into the car with the wiring loom that is already there, then down along the side of the car to the passenger seat or boot etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:51 pm 

If you can't find a rubber piece to take off for the hole, I'l take a picture of mine for you. But let me know if you need it

Swift Gti G13B
Honda Prelude H22A
Toyota Supra 2JZ, yea baby.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 am 

Considering the car has Air Conditioning installed, the holes on the passenger's side of the firewall are all taken up. Might have to try find a spare one on driver's side.

There aren't normally speakers in the rear of Swifts, but there are ways/locations you can put some in if you wish. Most people will advise against bothering with rears though, for various reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:00 am 

BenHaste wrote:
Considering the car has Air Conditioning installed, the holes on the passenger's side of the firewall are all taken up.

I have seen people run amp power cables through the aircon piping holes beside the piping (as in the car has aircon and a cable through the same hole as the pipes) [-X . Dodgy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:34 am 

Bergerman wrote:
You could also pull off the left front wheel trim and run the power cable from the battery and into the car with the wiring loom that is already there, then down along the side of the car to the passenger seat or boot etc.

this is the best and most direct route i have done this many times is very eay to do

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:58 am 

wow, big reply, ive been away for a long time so I havent been back to the forum. I managed to find a way to get through the firewall pretty soon after i posted. Im sure if Bergerman saw it you would say it is very dodgy! I ran it through a aircon piping hole. It works and there were no issues with the aircon so i left it.

Now i have a problem with power running to the headunit, it died on me last week :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm 

if your going a new amp and head unit do the following ,, my car had a bad stereo install in 1994 and it was done by a pro :/ omg how things have changed , no in line fuse and every thing was taped together :/ so i run a chunky power wire from the batery next to the ac pipe. theres a hole there with a wire, i just cut the hole bigger and run it through, put in a 500watt briged amp to 100watt with a jbl subwoffer on the back seat or in the boot, then i installed a jvc head unit from scratch as the stock harness was all cut up and messy so i installed new switch power cnad found a constent power in the loom. then i run all new heavey dudy speaker wire through to the back and front and then put in some okld home theter speakers in the parcle shelf under the carpet :P then some 5inch fusion two way speakers,

fusion is a great brand for quality and price . if you got no money but want good soud then go fusion .. if you can afford it get better :P

but realy the only ones that would fit in the stock holes were the fusions and jvc splits .. if your up to it cut the stock mounting holes out all together and then make your own mount ..

my stereo sounds mad. it goes loud and still sounds ok .. but when you turn t down its amazing ;P

need help inbox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:54 pm 

Fusion is nasty, cheap s**t stereo gear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

good for the price

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:09 pm 

ricky_191 wrote:
good for the price

Not really

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm 

i think there ok .. with a 1000watt sub on the back seat any thing sounds good :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:48 pm 

Im running a set of sony 6x9's on my parcel shelf via an amp (no name brand) with pioneer 4" speakers mounted in the dash to a Pioneer Head Unit. it used to be a sony HU, and the constant power was plugged into the cig socket, so that in my car doesnt work (have to get a whole new socket..eventually)

I have a 4Ga. Cable running from the positive of my battery directly into the boot (no Fuse.) which connects directly into the Positive Terminal of a Secondary Battery. from there that batter has 8Ga. Cable running to my amp. I'm yet to get around to putting in in-line fuses though. mostly because im lazy, and taking the boot floor out in my car is a complete pain the ass.. (might do it when i get my new carpet, and trim the board so the back seats mount properly.)

i've Re-terminated the Grounds under my bonnet with 8Ga. and there is 8Ga. Ground running to the negative of my secondary battery. the secondary battery is also grounded to the chassis of my car with 4Ga.

everyone in my car has heard it when i used to have my twin Pioneer SPL 12's, and had to admit it was one hell of a system. they can tell that they arent in there anymore, but some people still think i have a sub in the boot just from the 6x9's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:25 pm 

Fusion is awful, nasty, cheap s**t that works better as a paperweight than a speaker. If you want quality, get Kevlar speakers. Nuff said.

Cynthia the Convo Racer

Rasputin wrote:
I have a solid question.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:45 pm 

The only thing fusion make that's half decent these days are the powerplant subs, they sound like s**t but in the right box and wired at .5 ohm with stupid amounts of power (2500wrms+ per sub) they make some pretty stupid db.

They used to make good audio gear, an old mate of mine is still running two Jonah lomu series mono block and 1 12" Jonah lomu sub. And they have been in his car for over 6 years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:18 pm 

if ur on a budget and dont want rediculous amounts of bass with a relative clean sound go jvc
they dont need a lot of power to run they sound decent on half their rated power
that and kicker are good but i find them really more desinged for rock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:08 pm 

I always find it funny that swift GTi owners critisize anything for being cheap and nasty and orr low quality in one sentence then state you must have the best or nothing in the next.
People in glass houses etc.
GTP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:20 pm 

I'm now running JBL 4" in the dash with a Pioneer DEH-3350UB headunit, an 8Ga wiring kit with inline fuses, Clarion amp bridged to a 13" Clarion sub in the boot.

Got one problem now, just acquired some okayish sony 4" which I thought I may as well chuck em in the back rather than just leave them in my garage. Took out all the boot paneling and found the wires for the rear speakers but no mounting point :( Has anyone mounted their rear speakers without cutting holes in the parcel shelf??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:55 pm 

The parcel tray holders on the side have a spot for rears, but they aren't a square shape. There's also mount holes in the boot hatch, but you have to cut the plastic trim piece.