It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 05 Swift Double Din DVD/GPS/Bluetooth/Reverse Camera,etc
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 am 

I wold LOVE to know this too if anyone has any knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:06 pm 

nomad71 wrote:
I wold LOVE to know this too if anyone has any knowledge.

I'm assuming you've already contacted Caska Europe to see if it's possible. I contacted them some time ago and found them to be informative.

http://www.caska.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 pm 

Yeah, of course I contacted them. :) And they responded something like (assuming that they are Chinese ppl working in Hungary or Netherlands for Caska), "yeah, we have your HU for Mazda 6 2009, the price is like 800eur. If you would like to order reply to this e-mail." :)

There MUST be a way to upgrade fw, just need required software, and of course, required firmware version. :) But where to get? :shock: I googled a lot, and came across forums.caska.com, but it's down now... Also, I went on http://www.caskaglobal.com/38/support_l.shtml there is "Update Online" and "Downloads" section where you can download "MST776-TOOLING (USB)". But after clicking on that, it gives Bad URL. :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is as much as I could find. Try something yourself and report back. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:03 am 

I emailed Caska twice and was told my local area representative would get in touch. I was even given his direct contact details but no response from him at all.

BTW, is anyone else using maps other than the ones supplied by Polaris? I have the Polaris supplied maps but they are getting out of date and are not very user friendly. I'd really like to update to some better quality maps if anyone knows what other maps would be compatible. I'm happy to pay for them if I know they'll work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 am 

nomad71 wrote:
I emailed Caska twice and was told my local area representative would get in touch. I was even given his direct contact details but no response from him at all.

I'm assuming you emailed Polaris as they are the sole Australian Caska representative. See if you can speak to Nicole in Sydney, I found her to be quite helpful.

Quote:
BTW, is anyone else using maps other than the ones supplied by Polaris? I have the Polaris supplied maps but they are getting out of date and are not very user friendly. I'd really like to update to some better quality maps if anyone knows what other maps would be compatible. I'm happy to pay for them if I know they'll work.

I've been using IGO8 for some time now. Took a few goes for my IT mate to get it to work. MUCH BETTER than the Polaris maps. I was getting annoyed with the Polaris maps because they would sometimes pick up the speed limit from a adjacent street instead of the actual street being used.

The IGO maps are more detailed, but because it's a hack, it doesn't have all the features available, and any settings I change reset to default when the car is restarted. For instance, I like to change my speed warnings to 5km/h above the limit, however they reset when I turn the unit off.

My preferred map would be the one used on my wife's Navig8r. I love it's spoken street names and speed alerts and free map updates!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:53 am 

Hi all,

Did anyone find an answer to the firmware / OS upgrade question? I've got a Caska unit for my Mazda 5 and it's running Windows CE5. Just wondering if there's a way I can update the firmware, or at least check what the latest firmware is and also about the possibility of updating to Windows CE6?

Thanks for any help,

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:52 am 

Hi Dan,

I haven't had any joy obtaining the firmware update. Very keen to apply it though if anyone can advise. Also keen to find alternative compatible maps. Look forward to any help people can provide.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 am 

Software for Double Din DVD/GPS. Use at your own risk.

GPS Underground - Navigator maps IGO, Garmin, TomTom, Navigon ....

There is stuff available for WnCE5 but there is a lot more for CE6.

Winpatch:
New interfaces for WinCE 5 and 6
VW Golf Forum discussing Winpatch and adding 3G and WiFi to WinCE 6 units
BMW Forum discussing Winpatch and adding 3G and WiFi to WinCE 6 units
If you have a WinCE6 unit and you can get it on the network, you can use VNC to remote control the head and 3G will get the Internet for you. =D>

InnoSoft:
WinCE5, WinCE6 and PC This one you have to explore - has heaps of Apps and games to download. You can use the PC environment to make changes and then upload them or just for a roll your own carputer.
Attachment:
InnoSoftMainMenu.jpg
InnoSoftMainMenu.jpg [ 119.66 KiB | Viewed 4987 times ]

Both environments are loaded by replacing the command line for the Navigator software with the command to run one of the replacement environments. Once you have the replacement environment running, you use it to run the navigator, music apps, video player (new media player), Internet browser and whatevere else you now have access to. Just like a baby Windows computer.
I've only recently started playing wth this software so haven't worked a lot of it out yet.

Link to some other good s**t for the Swifts (direct ships out of China) AliExpress Suzuki badged 7" Double Din DVD/GPS etc, Scuff plates, lots of LED things, lights .... whatever you see for a new Swift / Liana / Aerio on Ebay you will find here. Some listings are for bulk supply (good if someone wants to set up a group buy), some are for single items but the postage kills the idea and other stuff works out OK - same as eBay :D Check before ordering. Delivery can be more than a month so don't have a brain fart and expect to see it delivered tomorrow.

Same place - Reversing camera Replaces one of the numberplate lights so it looks factory. I'm about to install one of these so I don't have to cut a hole in the back of the car. You pull the light out and replace it with the camera. Have to wait and see if there is enough light on the numberplate from the remaining light not to get defected .

Should set up a separate thread for these double din mods so they ca be found easily. There is enough in these links to get everybody in to trouble for quite a while..... I'll copy this post across and make a new thread. That way as people work out how to make some of this stuff work, everyone will benefit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:44 pm 

zedd, I thank you for a most informative post. I followed the links and got promptly lost in all the technical talk!!

Anyhoo, time to upgrade my Polaris and because I want to keep my integrated TPMS, I can only upgrade to another Polaris (or Caska) as no other unit incorporates it. The latest Caska K117-A (also known as Caska CA117-A) is not sold by Polaris in Australia, so I've been contacting sellers around the world with no luck so far. Manufacturers in China all say they're out of stock. Caska UK doesn't reply. Caska Europe won't sell me one! And Caska Singapore doesn't reply either!

If I can't get a Caska, I'll have to use another brand (I've already chosen the alternative) and do without the TPMS. This means I'll then have to buy a new seperate TPMS system with a seperate screen and mount it somewhere. An option I don't prefer. The only upside to all this is that I can get a Non-Caska unit direct from China for a very good price, complete with digital TV, and it's a better looking unit than the Caska too!

Anyone have any suggestions how I can source the Caska K117-A?

Ta!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:22 pm 

I've just installed a Pioneer AVIC F20BT in my wife's Sport. Nice and easy to bypass the wiring meant to prevent you from playing video whilst driving too!!! As you would expect from Pioneer, a very well rounded unit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm 

jason73 wrote:
I've just installed a Pioneer AVIC F20BT in my wife's Sport. Nice and easy to bypass the wiring meant to prevent you from playing video whilst driving too!!! As you would expect from Pioneer, a very well rounded unit.

Apart from the price, it doesn't support TPMS. And nor is it a truly integrated unit. It's a double din, the same as I have been using. Now I'm going for one designed just for the Swift's dash.

This is the new Caska. http://www.caskamultimedia.com/en/products/multimedia-units/item/34-ca117-a

And my alternative http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Suzuki-Swift-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Sat-Nav-Head-Unit-Stereo-Radio-System-RS415-6-/320862151598?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab4dfe3ae

Last year I installed a similar model-specific unit in my parent's Corolla, and they're wrapt. It looks like it came with the car! It has a 7" high res screen and fits so well into the dash you can't tell it's not original. I also installed a rear camera in their car that replaces one of the rear number plates illumination lights. Discreet and works well!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:27 am 

Haribolman wrote:
And my alternative http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Suzuki-Swift-Car-DVD-Player-GPS-Sat-Nav-Head-Unit-Stereo-Radio-System-RS415-6-/320862151598?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab4dfe3ae

Last year I installed a similar model-specific unit in my parent's Corolla, and they're wrapt. It looks like it came with the car! It has a 7" high res screen and fits so well into the dash you can't tell it's not original. I also installed a rear camera in their car that replaces one of the rear number plates illumination lights. Discreet and works well!!

I was just looking on eBay for an aftermarket dash facia and stumbled across this same h/u! 8)
Seems like a much better deal with less hassles than going with a dash facia and universal h/u.

Any idea on the price of the caska unit? Or has it already been mentioned and I missed it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:12 am 

Pauly wrote:
I was just looking on eBay for an aftermarket dash facia and stumbled across this same h/u! 8)
Seems like a much better deal with less hassles than going with a dash facia and universal h/u.

Any idea on the price of the caska unit? Or has it already been mentioned and I missed it?

If I could get a bloody supplier to source the Caska for me, I could get it for under $800.

The other headunit found on ebay can be sourced direct from China for $325 delivered! At that price I don't care that it misses out on TPMS and TV.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:54 pm 

Check your TPMS output - some TPMS units can output video that you can plug into the AVI port on the head unit. Might loose the reversing camera though.

Edit - just looked at the handbook for my Chinese 7" - it has a camera port (just video) and an AVI port with both audio and video (for an external DVD).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm 

zedd wrote:
Check your TPMS output - some TPMS units can output video that you can plug into the AVI port on the head unit. Might loose the reversing camera though.

Interesting thought. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 am 

zedd wrote:
There is stuff available for WnCE5 but there is a lot more for CE6.

Thanks for all the info...I'm wading through it, but wanted to ask...my unit runs Win CE 5...is there a way of upgrading to Win CE 6? Buying it and upgrading would be fine...just not sure how it works with CE.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:14 am 

Couple of things to get your head round - the GPS runs CE 5. The rest of the box runs Linux. Both OS's are embedded (in a chip - you can't change the contents). There are 2 computers running 2 different OS's.

All the hacks rely on the fact that the units allow you to pick your GPS software (IGo, Tot-Tom, Route 66 .... etc) so there has to be a way to pick the executable for the GPS software. Now, instead of running the GPS software, you run another shell that gives you access to the GPS CE and lets you load other 'stuff' on the SD card and then run it.

If you want embedded CE 6, you'll have to buy a later unit. 6 gives you the 800x 480 resolution for really smooth windows, way nicer looking shell / menu. CE 6 can allow you to do other tricks like start a network, run remote control software to drive the Win computer (if it has the hardware) or add in wireless to get on to the internet (get real time maps for the GPS) Anything else like a decent media player with song lists or DVD players, games etc will run from CE 5 - you do have to stop the current Linux media player as part of the changes.

You have to remember that the available memory is VERY limited (it was only meant to run the GPS software) so be realistic about what you load. Winpatch gives you the Iphone look buttons and Innosoft lots of little applets. Innosoft is free and Winpatch is about $20USD. Play with Innosoft and see how you go.

The biggest problem all the hacks have (and I only listed 2) is making your changes stick through a reboot. Some of the settings just won't save (no matter what the forum posts say) and you have to resetup after a reboot. Right pain if you want the new shell to load and run your GPS without any interaction.

That's what playing with this stuff is about - defeating the manufacturers who think they should be the only ones to load and run the software so you won't hurt yourself playing with the options instead of watching the road.

Post subject: Update time
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm 

Just arrived direct from China yesterday. My new 8" touchscreen headunit! So much more screen than my old 6.5"!

Attachment:
DSC_1851.jpg
DSC_1851.jpg [ 216.48 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_1860.jpg
DSC_1860.jpg [ 340.74 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_1861.jpg
DSC_1861.jpg [ 301.46 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

Very simple plug and play connection...except I had to seperately wire up my existing infra-red reverse camera activation wire and my infra-red front camera. Wasn't able to get the unit supplied with Digital TV, but it comes with analogue so I connected it to my exisiting TV antenna.

Attachment:
DSC_1857.jpg
DSC_1857.jpg [ 299.21 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_1855.jpg
DSC_1855.jpg [ 293.19 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_1852.jpg
DSC_1852.jpg [ 314.53 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

Will later have to install a seperate TPMS system.

Anyhoo, the screen is large and clear. Sound is great. Only had one issue. Somehow I pressed the wrong buttons and stuffed up the IGO GPS program. Won't load any more. Dammit!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:09 pm 

Based on my 7" - that should be easy to fix. Go to the GPS settings, browse for the folder and then the executable. Save that path and IGO should load again. That is also how you change from IGO to one of the GPS programs or update IGO to a new version. You load the new GPS software on the SD card, change the path, pick the executable and away you go with another GPS package.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

Thanks again Zedd for the clear explanation!

I'm still fairly new with this kind of unit so these maybe stupid questions but where can I find out if it's running win CE5 or 6? I was pretty sure it was 5 but wanted to be certain.

Also, is there a way of connecting these units to a pc to do anything with them?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next