It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 05 Swift Double Din DVD/GPS/Bluetooth/Reverse Camera,etc
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:42 pm 

Today I finally installed something that's been on my wish list for quite some time!

It's an in dash double-din touchscreen Polaris DVD/CD player with in built GPS and Bluetooth, along with Reverse Camera and Tyre Pressure monitoring inputs and complete with Steering Wheel control input. There's not a lot this unit doesn't do. I considered everything from the ebay cheapies, through to the Pioneer, Kenwood $3000+ jobs and I'm very happy with this middle ground. Polaris is an Australian company http://www.polarisgps.com.au already well known as Poron Australia for their reverse camera and GPS systems. They seem to have a good reputation.

I've installed the unit and taken some quick photos, but I need to take some much better ones showing the awesome menu system and the DVD movie quality. This unit has 5.1 channel output, but after hearing how amazing the sound was when playing "Pearl Harbour" up load through the standard Swift speaker system, there's absoultely no need to upgrade to 5.1! It was absolutely LOUD and CLEAR!! It also plays MP3, MP4, divX, etc.

It has 2 SD slots (one for the GPS) and comes preloaded with the latest V14 Sensis maps. It also has a USB input and an iPod input. Not to mention that a TV tuner can be added and it has outputs for additional screens and even an external amplifier. There's a reverse camera input, and I'll be wiring one up soon!

And here's the bit I really loved...it wired straight into the Swift steering wheel controls...no problem at all. I'd like to thank Chris Rogers from Audio Express http://www.audioexpress.com.au for helping me work out which 2 wires I needed to make the steering wheel buttons work (that's about the only part of wiring that needed figuring out). I bought a Swift wiring harness that plugged straight into the existing Swift audio plug and this made it so much easier to connect up the Polaris.

The button illumination can be set to any colour (to match the rest of your car's illumination).

Also, the bluetooth works exceptionally well! Very clear audio received at the other end from the inbuilt mic.

Here's a few photos to wet your appetite!! Picture quality is average. I'll take some better one's soon! Also, I'll get some of the menu's and movie playing.

Last edited by Haribolman on Sun May 04, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 05 Swift Double Din DVD/GPS/Bluetooth/Reverse Camera,etc
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:58 pm 

that looks awsome

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:53 am 

good to see you have it fully working :)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:44 am 

Some more screen shots. My apologies for the quality of some of these photos....my camera settings musn't be right...or something!

Music and Lyrics...

Lauren Graham...need I say more? :D

Learning the steering wheel controls takes only one minute!!

Main Menu (sorry about the photo quality)

Setup Menu (note the tyre pressure section...cool!)

Seperate controls for rear screens

Radio

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:54 am 

One of the many GPS menu's

GPS status

GPS Route screen

Audio setup for adjusting speaker delay, 5.1, etc.

Bluetooth phone dialling screen (unfortunately, the Polaris doesn't actually store your phone's address book, only the last 5 received, missed and made calls.

Bluetooth can be set up to auto connect within a few seconds of the car starting. Auto answer as well if you want it.

The Polaris supports A2DP bluetooth, which means you can stream your MP3 music direct from your phone through bluetooth to the Polaris. Sound quality is exceptionally good, and is controlled through the Polaris touch screen.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:42 pm 

How much did this cost you all up? I've been thinking about doing the same :D

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:45 pm 

Hot!!! All you need is some wicked power to go with it all and she'll be right.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:13 pm 

mlada wrote:

x2 ....

just had a very bad experience from some ebay crap :evil:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:27 pm 

fernandk wrote:
mlada wrote:

x2 ....

just had a very bad experience from some ebay crap :evil:

Well, I spent weeks looking for a unit that combined good quality with affordable price. I wanted good quality bluetooth, GPS, reverse camera, divX, SD card and USB input, and then the rest that they all come with, namely DVD, CD, radio, etc. TV was not an issue either way.

I considered the $400-$600 ebay cheapies and I researched the brand names (JVC, Kenwood, Eclipse, VDO Dayton, Pioneer, Alpine) that cost between $2,500 to $3,500. I also considered bringing in a brand new US-spec Kenwood, JVC or Pioneer for around $1000 and loading Australian GPS maps onto it. A couple of guys have done this, but they are stuck with a US region DVD player and US radio frequencies. And it appears that you can't even load Australian maps onto the US-spec Pioneer Avic's.

There's many horror stories of the ebay Chinese cheapies failing after a very short time and apparantly this is because they use poor quality components. I've been told the brand name units are also built in China, but use better quality components.

Anyway, I narrowed it down to some middle-ground companies. These are companies that have their own websites claiming they are good quality, but they can also be found on ebay selling their units at cheaper prices than on their own websites!

http://www.nesavision.com.au/
http://www.nesavision.com/avn650.html
http://www.dce.net.au/index.html
http://www.toylux.com/html/dvd_players/2_din.html
http://www.brashimports.com.au/

In the middle of my research I noticed a half page ad in the RACQ Road Ahead magazine for Polaris http://www.polarisgps.com.au I found out that they are an Australian company that has been selling GPS units and reverse camera systems for a few years now. I read a few forums where users spoke highly of their experience with their products and I spoke to the company and found out that their units are manufactured to a high standard. They also sell their units through TJM 4WD stores, auto electricians and new car dealers.

So I liked thier credibility and their unit had all the features I wanted (+ more than I hoped for...such as steering wheel controls) and I considered it reasonably priced at $1295. It cost $22 postage to send it overnight from Sydney to the Gold Coast.

Any regrets? Despite the 3 manuals that came with the Polaris, there's no mention of the specification of the screen resolution and it doesn't seem too high when displaying some menus. Perhaps I have yet to adjust the setting correctly, or perhaps I'm too used to the awesome clarity of my home theatre Plasma, or perhaps the menus are low quality images, but I would have liked a sharper image. And I would have liked to be able to copy my phone's address book to the Polaris for ease of dialling out.

Pro's? Great audio quality on the bluetooth. Extremely clear and powerful sound when playing DVD's and quite reasonabel picture quality. Great multitasking ability...play either the radio or CD at the same time as using the GPS. And if a phone call comes in it will overide everything else until the call is finished and then return to the previous task.

These units are a new release for Polaris, so time will tell what the long term quality is like, but so far I'm a fairly happy camper!!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 pm 

The more I use it, the more I like it!

I discovered today that there's a password protected menu that allows you to turn off the handbrake control, so you can still watch DVD's on the move...should you be so silly to do so!

I also discovered the screen was set to NTSC. I changed it to PAL and it's a brighter image! And I adjusted the hue, saturation, sharpness, etc and I'm pretty happy with how it's come up!

I also noticed that the subtitles page was set to Chinese, yet the DVD region was set to US! Go figure! And instead of the DVD regions being displayed as region 1-6, it simply lists several countries, China/France/Hong Kong/Japan/Taiwan/GBr/US. I left it set to US because it played my "genuine" copy of Pearl Harbour without problems.

I'm looking to buy a reverse camera, and it seems the one's with IR are best for night vision, and that CCD is better than CMOS. I like the type that projects what's called a "guard Line" onto the monitor to show the distance from objects, but I notice that some cameras are NTSC, some are PAL and some are both. Does anyone know if it matters what type I get? I know my system will accept both, but I think the display looks better on PAL, so I guess I'd like to keep it on that setting.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:10 pm 

How's this? I discovered that you can buy this same unit for only $754, instead of the $1295 I spent!!

How? Well, it turns out the Polaris PID1615G is a rebadged Caska CA1615...and I found one site selling them online.
http://www.efrontier.com.au/estore/product_info.php?osCsid=1f693bdb4cbb7e688c89ffe171ebd03e&currency=AUD&cPath=11&products_id=248&osCsid=1f693bdb4cbb7e688c89ffe171ebd03e
All research indicates it's the exact same unit and I think it comes with the GPS maps as well (but I'd email them first to be sure).

That means you can save nearly $550 for the same unit and get all the awesome features, and your steering wheel controls will still work as well! This is one of the few units I've come across that connects so easily to the steering wheel controls.

Here's the manufacturer's page detailing the original Caska (before it gets rebadged as a Polaris) http://www.coagent.cn/view_pro.php?id=14

And here's the manufacturer's home page http://www.coagent.cn/index1.php

I highly recommend this unit. People who have seen it, love it and it does most things really well. About the only annoying niggles are the amount of time it takes to turn on and load a CD, and for some silly reason it doesn't retain the "repeat" settings on the CD, so each time I get in the car I have to reset it to repeat! Damn!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:03 pm 

Reverse camera now installed!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:39 pm 

you never cease to amaze me bro! love your work

i see the Tein sticker...im guessing you ended up getting the coilovers?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:52 pm 

Mr. Focus wrote:

Yup, I've had them for a couple of months and they're a definite improvement over the no-name brand! Heck, the car's almost comfortable now! And of course, I couldn't resist adding their badge to the library on the car's rear!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:58 pm 

Haribolman wrote:
Mr. Focus wrote:

Yup, I've had them for a couple of months and they're a definite improvement over the no-name brand! Heck, the car's almost comfortable now! And of course, I couldn't resist adding their badge to the library on the car's rear!!

I hope your have all these things covered by insurance, you're car will soon be a house on wheels I assume :lol:

Going good though, whats the next new mod for the Murari?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:03 pm 

M15A wrote:
Going good though, whats the next new mod for the Murari?

Well, I've said it before...and I'll say it again....

Hmmm, what was it I said before? :?

Oh yeah, I've got other projects that I've been neglecting, so apart from some small changes (recently added an electroluminiscent handbrake cover!), I don't have any major projects lined up (unless I decide to add tyre pressure monitoring).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:02 am 

you said -> "I bought a Swift wiring harness that plugged straight into the existing one"

how much did this cost? and do you have a part number for it ???? or any other info because ive been searching every where and i cant seem to find one???

thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:37 pm 

phoenx wrote:
you said -> "I bought a Swift wiring harness that plugged straight into the existing one"

how much did this cost? and do you have a part number for it ???? or any other info because ive been searching every where and i cant seem to find one???

thanks.

http://www.ryda.com.au/Aerpro-Suzuki-Wiring-Harness-p/ap1130.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:23 pm 

Not to be outdone, and just in case anyone thought I was slipping a bit and running out of things to add to my car, I installed a TV module into my Polaris a few weeks ago. I'm surprised just how well it works! I live in a poor reception area, but it still works fairly well, and when I drive into a good area it rocks! Great sound and picture! Gets a bit choppy when you're driving (I've got it set so that only the sound is on when moving), but is very watchable when stopped.

What's next, a coffee machine? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:10 pm 

Hi Haribolman,

Great post from you. You seem to really have done your homework. Now a month on, I'm wondering how things are travelling with your unit. Still happy?

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There were a couple of things with this unit that I was wondering.
1. Does it have text to speech for the GPS?
2. Is there a night mode for the maps (where the maps are displayed with a dark background)?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers.